Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2024, 9:24 am

Another data point- with 16 days till departure the Ethiopian call center quoted me $5800 to upgrade all segments RT. All they apparently did was take the business fare currently and subtract what I paid for economy. That is the reservations office offer as of now. No way a deal at this point.
Old May 18, 2024, 6:37 am

After successful bid, what are change and cancelation rules?

Hi, I can’t seem to find this but if I bid successfully but need to change or cancel my flight, will I receive my full refund inclusive of the money I spend on the bid (minus cancellation fee of course) or do I just lose it? Same with changes— if I need to change it am I forfeiting the money I spend on the upgrade? Appreciate any help I can’t seem to find this in the FAQs.
Old May 18, 2024, 7:07 pm

Not sure about that case specifically but I know if you select and pay for a better economy seat and then buy the business Bid Upgrade those upgraded economy seat selection fees you already paid for are forfeited and non refundable.

the FAQ states : What are the fare rules of the upgraded ticket?

If your upgrade request is accepted, the ticket conditions of travel of your original ticket reservation (before the service class upgrade), will remain in force, including the conditions for minimum and maximum stay, cancellation, and changes.

so it is pointing back to the original fare rules with regards to changes and cancelations. Does it happen to spell out refunds on accepted Bids in the original fare rule for your class of travel? They DO charge you at the time of Bid acceptance I know. This whole process is a little wonky. I’m rolling the educated dice and planning on holding off buying a premium-ier Econ seat to try and wait to snag a cheaper Cloud9 seat closer to departure, I’ll see what they offer at T-3 days and if the rate stinks I can always try at check in. Again rolling the dice but I can see how many open Biz class seats there are live so I have some visibility into remaining inventory,. I’ve been offered so far $3200 RT upgrade and also a $5800 upgrade, at this rate it will be $600 next time! That would be nice! Another issue with waiting last minute is catering. I was reading some that do an upgrade at check in get Economy meal in Biz because catering didn’t have the right counts, they probably figure some number of extra out but it’s a risk.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:19 pm

ATL-ADD minimum $1195 - 14 hours 15 min flight time
ADD-LUN $405 - 4 hours 5 min
LUN-ADD $420 - 5 hours 15 min (with one stop)
ADD-ATL $1280 - 16 hours 55 min (with fuel stop)

these all include a 10% bid bonus currently.

The big question is should I bid minimums now or wait for the email from them hoping the bid bonus increases perhaps? If the final bid email comes T-48 hours asking for last minute bids does anyone know if that would be a better offer than what I am seeing at T-5 days now?

Last edited by danteshors; May 27, 2024 at 5:02 pm
Old May 28, 2024, 12:02 pm

T-72 hours just Received first email from ET advising me to bid for Business class. Costs are the same as previously mentioned above and include the same 10% bonus.

I contacted ET reservations about the cost of an “At check in” upgrade and they said they are fixed price. I am clarifying what they said but here is the email. I am clarifying that this is Round Trip Return. Looks like a decent enough deal IF seats remain at check in AND the agent can figure out how to do this AND there is enough Business class meals loaded on the plane!

You can also upgrade your flight with the last minute fixed rates at the airport, after check-in commences.

Below are the last minute fixed Surcharge rates to upgrade:

ATL - ADD (and return) = USD1550

ADD - LUN (and return) = USD 450

For additional information on our bid upgrade service, please check the below link:|
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...sked-questions

Kind regards,

Henok G.
Old May 28, 2024, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danteshors
T-72 hours just Received first email from ET advising me to bid for Business class. Costs are the same as previously mentioned above and include the same 10% bonus.

I contacted ET reservations about the cost of an “At check in” upgrade and they said they are fixed price. I am clarifying what they said but here is the email. I am clarifying that this is Round Trip Return. Looks like a decent enough deal IF seats remain at check in AND the agent can figure out how to do this AND there is enough Business class meals loaded on the plane!

You can also upgrade your flight with the last minute fixed rates at the airport, after check-in commences.

For additional information on our bid upgrade service, please check the below link:|
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...sked-questions

Kind regards,

Henok G.
Those rates are each way.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:15 pm

747 that would make the most sense but check out their email:

Date: May 28, 2024 at 8:39:19 AM EDT
To: xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Upgrade questions/costs for flight this week! Thx!
Reply-To:[email protected]Dear Esteemed Customer,

Thank you for contacting Ethiopian!

Kindly be advised that the amount we have advised you is a round trip fare.

Kind regards,

Mxxxx Sxxxx,

Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2024 1:09 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Upgrade questions/costs for flight this week! Thx!
Henok these fixed checkin upgrade rates are EACH way or round trip?

So ATL-ADD is $1550 at checkin space available and then an additional return fee for ADD-ATL would be $1550 as well? Or is this round trip $1550 plus $450 for the connections?

On May 27, 2024, at 5:57 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 28, 2024 at 6:23 pm
Old May 29, 2024, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danteshors
747 that would make the most sense but check out their email:
Yes, by that they mean that it is the same price for the return sector (ie. ATL-ADD and ADD-ATL are both the same $1550 each way).
danteshors likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 5:23 pm

…….And now they just swapped equipment to the 77L instead of the 787! 2x3x2 business seating is still a thing here!

Well i ended up submitting a bid for the first segment via bid at T-30 hours or so. I checked for open seats up front and as expected they accepted the minimum bid at about T-22. BIZ has a few more seats left at this point but with the equipment change I feel blessed the bid went through. I also received an email at about T-20 hours asking for my connecting flight if I wanted to buy a seat (90$) or a row to myself f(218$) for that one segment. BIZ minimum bid for that leg is $375.

In reviewing the FAQ on the ET family of aircraft the 777 swap may be a blessing in disguise versus the mixed angle seats on the 787. 77L type shows completely flat across their remaining fleet and sure enough Boeing 777 ET-AQL is on its way from FCO as I type to pick me up.

When I reached out to ET Facebook support I have been told that Ethiopian offers no Lounge access in ATL through any partnership. Another individual said they do offer Lounge access at SA partners but only for Gold Shebba MIles persons which looks like the case.

My analysis paralysis is over and I am on my way in just a few hours.

Key take aways:
ET call center, email team and Social Media is inconsistent with their info so do your homework.
Reductions in bid prices did NOT happen for me. Neither minimum nor percent bonus changed as countdown to departure.
Upgrade at check in fares are usually worse than minimum bid pricing.
Bid for Upgrade becomes available well before the official email at T-72 hours or so. Check their website and see what they are offering.
ET offers bidding also on "save the seat open next to you" and "save the row" options if you don't want to bid on the expensive Biz upgrade.
I was able to select BIZ seat immediately after bid acceptance on mobile app.
ET is running a mixed fleet of angled and lay flats on many of their routes. On the ATL-ADD route you just don't know until the last day or 2 what they are sending. You can track the inbound once it leaves ADD to FCO and then on to ATL to be sure.

Last edited by danteshors; May 31, 2024 at 4:09 am
Old Jun 11, 2024, 5:23 am

Well thanks to this thread I was able to successfully navigate the Bid to Upgrade best practices on 3 out of 4 segments for the lowest price possible. The only upgrade minimum that was not accepted was a LUN-ADD connecting via HRE. There were seats open and I bid the minimum however the bid went into a status of "Pending" and sat there until boarding when it went to "Expired" status. I asked the Lusaka ET Team in their office near check in and they told me there was nothing they have any control over and it was all automated.

So the RT Y tickets were $2028 and I spent $1195 from ATL-ADD upgrading and $405 from ADD to LUN and then no upgrade from LUN-ADD and then the Bonus upped to 15% during the last few days prior to the trip back from ADD to ATL so that was $1095. Total out of pocket was about $4700 RT in Biz or roughly a $3300 savings from a straight Biz ticket if I bought it outright.

On my way to southern Africa we were delayed in ATL for 2 hours due to "luggages" which caused me to miss my connection so I had to spend 25 hours in Addis but since I had the business upgrade I got to go to the SkyLight instead of the inferior other option. There was also an equipment change from 787 to 777-2 in Atlanta so I got to experience the 777, 787 and A350 products. Food cart buffet style was a nice touch to allow us to try several new Ethiopian dishes. Decent enough. I am satisfied. Safe travels all!
B747-437B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.