Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi FortuneofWar:

I am so envious that you had the opportunity to stay at one of the acknowledged best Shangri-la properties, period, for 2 weeks! Darn, sorry I missed you as your post now just requires I visit this property although I must say, I really do not know how much better life can get than being enscounded in the Valley Wing, Shangri-la or the Rasa Sentosa in Singapore and/or the luxurious Kowloon, Hong Kong Shangri-la property, the latter managed by the wonderful Mr. J. Heygood.

Thanks for sharing your observations....and keep us advised of your travels.

Warmest regards
747LWW

Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
A small gap between meetings so I have the chance to post my impressions of the Island Shangri-La garnered from a 14 day business stay in October.

I should explain that it was my first time in HK, so I was quite determined to get out and explore, and as a consequence I simply didn't get the chance to use all the facilities: I couldn't find a time when the Library wasn't booked for private functions, and somehow, I didn't manage to dine at a hotel restaurant - other than breakfast.

That said:

- Wow - what a city!
- Wow - what a hotel!
- The best Bircher muesli I've ever had
- The room was very quiet, spacious, well appointed (I swapped the usual shower for a bath, just so that I could watch the plasma TV in the bathroom), and immaculately cleaned and maintained - my loose papers were 'squared up' and put under a paperweight, believe it or not.
- The complimentary toiletries were sensational.
- The view of the harbour should have been superb - but I guess they can't control air quality!
- The reception, housekeeping staff, and porters delivered an amazing level of service, day after day.
- The hotel gym was large, very well equipped - perhaps a little over-warm for a gym, and open 24 hours a day (I was the only one there at 3.30am).

This was the best hotel I've ever stayed at and I don't expect to ever stay at a better one. In a word: Wonderful

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 21, 2006 at 7:12 pm
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Hello again jhm:

Thanks for your kind words but of course you were smart enough to choose to join Golden Circle after your stay at one of the best hotels in the world, the Valley Wing Shangri-la in Singapore. I am so happy Ms. Rhea D. and her staff encouraged you to become a continuing visitor to Shangri-la! By the way, I spoke with her briefly this past week and she send her best wishes and was anxious to know when you would visit her facility again.

WOW, 3 months seems excessive! I will send a PM to you regarding this matter.

Warmest regards
747LWW

Originally Posted by jhm
I joined GC in mid-August (thanks to 747LWW). I just received today - 3 months later - my permanent GC membership card!

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 21, 2006 at 7:25 pm
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Thus, Sydsing, I am reporting that your request has been agreeded to----

LLW-

You are a Golden Circle club diety and a true friend to all FTers.

Bravo!

Muckus
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Muckus
LLW-

Bravo!

Muckus
My gosh, Muckus, what kind words!

I am just learning like everyone else....you have helped me,,,,so welcome to the diety club!!!!!

Thanks again
747LWW
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Director Of Sales and Marketing-Shangri-la Singapore

I must just report to you one of the most personable, friendly, and attractive folks I recently met as an Elite member of the Golden Circle group: Ms Charlene Cheng. This young lady's official title is "Director of Sales & Marketing, Changri-la, Singapore. You should know she is one of the most engaging, talented folks I have had the good fortune to meet in the entire Shangri-la family over a period of many years. Her present duty station is the Shangi-la Singapore but remember her name as I predict she will soon be a GM somewhere in their system as she is a real talent.

Here is what I can report: I had two FT friends with me this Sunday night in SIN. While I was staying at the Valley Wing, Shangri-la, they were guests, as I understand, of another of the most exclusive hotels in SIN. Ms. Cheng, who was unknown to me at the time, was kind enough to stop by our table and say hello, chat with us for a short time, etc. She then excused hereself and we later realized as we co-wlecomed the Heads of State of the Philippines, their entourage, the accompanying press group, etc. They walked by our location after entering the hotel. Ms. Cheng was part of the Shangri-la official greeting party of these heads-of state to the Shangri-la Valley Wing.

WOW! We were overwhelmed that she took a few moments duing a very busy time to say hello to us, etc. Now you might say "so what". Well, I can tell you that the Fullerton Hotel just lost two repeat guests as my two FT friends stated they simply would not stay at any other facility other than the Shangri-la Valley Wing from that moment fordward. What does this mean? You must draw your own conclusion but I think I know.

Regards

747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 25, 2006 at 9:04 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

You Find The Most Interesting Yet Obscure INFO. How?

Originally Posted by jhm
This is not strictly related to Golden Circle but this thread seems to be the place for general Shangri-La related points.

I was just looking through the membership guide for Dragonair's The Elite FFP (which I read on the CX forum will soon be subsumed into the CX MPC).

For Platinum and Gold members (the top two tiers out of four) of The Elite, Shangri-La offers the following benefits:

* upgrade to next room category (Subject to availability and applies to any rates except group / packaged rates)

* complimentary breakfast

These benefits are only available in the Shangri-La properties in China (so not Singapore) including the ones in Beijing and Shanghai.

This is certainly not a benefit offered by SQ FFP which I'm a member of. Does anyone know whether they're offered by CX MPC or any other FFP besides KA ?
Hi jhm:

Once again, you demonstrate your ability to find important, obscure info and you are kind enough to advise us. Thanks!

I am not familiar with the FFPs you mentioned but I hope others on this board will post in response to your question. What about Europe in Dec...will you have time to meet briefly?

Regards
747LWW
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

useful SL SIN VW factsheet

btw thanks again for all the great info via pm.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 22, 2006 at 5:58 am
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

useful SL SIN VW factsheet

btw thanks again for all the great info via pm.
Hello Kagehitokiri:

What a great reference you have shared with this thread! Your google search, as I understand it, provided you with the reference you cited. Folks, this reference is the most complete listing of rooms, room types, sizes, etc. regarding the entire Shangri-la Singapore that I have ever seen. Finally I feel like I know something about the hotel in general, including the exact number and types of rooms in the three different sections-Garden Wing, Tower Wing, and Valley Wing. WOW! Thank you so very much on behalf of future readers of this thread. (jhm, you will really enjoy this as will Sub-Dub-Commuter and Telfes.)

(One point of clarification, Kagehitokiri re the PM I sent....the folks that passed us in the Valley Wing during our post-FT mini-do "drinks" in SIN on Nov 19th were the President and 1st Lady of the Philippines...Mr. Bush and wife left the Valley Wing 2 days earlier. )

I recommend anyone considering a stay in SIN that is not familiar with the Shangri-la to review the fine reference Kagehitokiri provided before making a final decision on your hotel.

Best regards
747LWW
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

# of rooms / size in m2

TOWER WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 328 38
Executive Room 18 60
Horizon Club Deluxe 45 72
Horizon Club Premier 66 72
Raja Suite 1 110
GARDEN WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 148 50
Corner Premier 5 87
1 Bedroom Suite 4 81
2 Bedroom Suite 4 131
THE VALLEY WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 109 57
1 Bedroom Suite 12 79
Deluxe Suite 12 110
State Suite 1 124
Singapore Suite 1 238
Shangri-La Suite 1 346
SERVICED APARTMENTS:
1 Bedroom Suite 65 59
2 Bedroom Suite 49 87
3 Bedroom Suite 13 118
RESIDENCES:
2 Bedroom 1 136
2 Bedroom+Study 16 142-177
3 Bedroom 18 151-223
3 Bedroom+Study 16 193-333
4 Bedroom 4 205-272
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks agin for taking the time to uncover, summarize, and kindly report this info for other readers of this forum!!! Do you have specific recommendations? If so, please share.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
# of rooms / size in m2

TOWER WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 328 38
Executive Room 18 60
Horizon Club Deluxe 45 72
Horizon Club Premier 66 72
Raja Suite 1 110
GARDEN WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 148 50
Corner Premier 5 87
1 Bedroom Suite 4 81
2 Bedroom Suite 4 131
THE VALLEY WING:
Deluxe (City/Pool View) 109 57
1 Bedroom Suite 12 79
Deluxe Suite 12 110
State Suite 1 124
Singapore Suite 1 238
Shangri-La Suite 1 346
SERVICED APARTMENTS:
1 Bedroom Suite 65 59
2 Bedroom Suite 49 87
3 Bedroom Suite 13 118
RESIDENCES:
2 Bedroom 1 136
2 Bedroom+Study 16 142-177
3 Bedroom 18 151-223
3 Bedroom+Study 16 193-333
4 Bedroom 4 205-272
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Muckus, I wish you could have been with my two FT friends and I in the lobby of the Valley Wing, Shangri-la Singapore, last Sunday, SIN time. (See post 155 and note that the GM-Area Manager of the 3 Shangri-la properties in Singapore stopped by to introduce himself just after he welcomed the Heads of State, Philippines, to the Shangri-la, SIN. WOW. We toasted you soon thereafter.

LLW-

Bravo!

Muckus

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 26, 2006 at 2:11 am
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:05 pm

Question 55 nights at end of 2006 - how to reach next level?

Hello all fellow GC-members,

maybe anyone here has some good advice for me: At the end of this year I will end up having stayed at Shangri-La hotels for 55 nights this year... pretty close to 60.
Any ideas on how to best bridge the gap to the next level?

Thank you for any advice you might have!!

felu
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by felu
Hello all fellow GC-members,

maybe anyone here has some good advice for me: At the end of this year I will end up having stayed at Shangri-La hotels for 55 nights this year... pretty close to 60.
Any ideas on how to best bridge the gap to the next level?

Thank you for any advice you might have!!

felu

I'm no expert (hopefully LLW will chime in here for some expert advice), but the posts on the GC forum on the Shangri-La website do not leave me very optimistic. One person on there stayed at a single property for 80 nights and the GC folks would not grant Elite status since there was no stay at a second site. Yikes, that's strict!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Welcome to the forum felu, which property do you stay at most?

My experience is that GC and SL are very service focussed. It's no different to most customer service 'problems' - get in touch with the the right person, carefully explain the nature of the problem, tell them a solution that will make you happy, and provide them with a reason to act - which in this case is that you are a significant customer with the potential to shift your business if they don't look after you.

I have sent some more specific comments via PM.

I'm no expert (hopefully LLW will chime in here for some expert advice), but the posts on the GC forum on the Shangri-La website do not leave me very optimistic. One person on there stayed at a single property for 80 nights and the GC folks would not grant Elite status since there was no stay at a second site. Yikes, that's strict!
Gee Muckus - you're tough, didn't they show some discretion for you re your stay in Cairns
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
Gee Muckus - you're tough, didn't they show some discretion for you re your stay in Cairns

You're absolutely right! I had just been reading the comments in the forum on the GC website when I wrote that reply and I guess was overly influenced by what I read. The Shangri-La folks in Hong Kong with whom I corresponded were very helpful and did indeed grant the exception for my stay in Cairns. By the way, you have quite a memory to recall that even when I did not!

On another note, I just spent four nights at the property in Kowloon on the Horizon Club floor. It is a fabulous place which I would recommend to anyone, especially if you get a view room on the club floor. The Horizon Club there is the nicest I have seen (which is saying something!), and the restaurants in the hotel are very good too. I have not stayed in the Hong Kong island property but very much want to do so having read your recent report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.