Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Agreed. I flew May on a discount Y ticket; tool gave me a free checked bag as did ground staff.

So following LH, 0 + 1 = 0 for TAP too. At least the Greeks can still do maths
Until 4 September 2017, all longhaul economy flights come with a free baggage allowance, and an extra *G allowance.

After that date, discount economy on longhaul becomes the same as on shorthaul - no free luggage allowance, and no extra *G allowance.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
I am in the same situation as IAN-UK, I have a shorthall MAN-LIS flight tomorrow (cheapest hand luggage only economy, booking class L) and *G gives me a suitcase allowance.

I will also be checking in 3 hours before departure to change seat for free.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mmff
Do OLCI again at T-3. Should allow you to move to a window seat without payment.
but isn't checked-in, well, checked-in

or can you open the dialogue again ?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
but isn't checked-in, well, checked-in

or can you open the dialogue again ?
Definitely possible to change, at least at the airport desk. I wasn't in a position to check if OLCI would permit a change.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:50 am
Accor Contributor Badge

BAGS
Notwithstanding the interactive baggage allowance thingy from Palal (which clearly shows a charge);

and the word of the TP representative who just as clearly said there's be a charge;

the online check-in page for tomorrow's fight says in black and white my baggage allowance is one bag, and there's zero to pay for it.
Just a warning, the check-in page for my partner's flight yesterday said that she had an allowance of 2 items: one with the ticket (she didn't buy the cheapest tickets) and one with star gold.
At check-in they asked her to pay for the 2nd one "as the computer says so". We had to show them the tap website from the link on the previous page that shows that the 2nd item of luggage is for star gold and not only tap/victora gold and she was able to manually override the extra price. It wasn't easy though and took over 5 minutes to process.

So it seems that what is shown on the check-in page doesn't reflect what the computers say at the airport in this case. I will try to check-in an item for my flight today (hand luggage only ticket) and see what happens.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Definitely possible to change, at least at the airport desk. I wasn't in a position to check if OLCI would permit a change.
I was able to (slightly) improve my position three hours before check-in, but at the counter found my row had filled up completely. Not really a problem on a 2:40 flight.

But then I got upgraded at the gate 🍾🍸🍰
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to (slightly) improve my position three hours before check-in, but at the counter found my row had filled up completely. Not really a problem on a 2:40 flight.

But then I got upgraded at the gate 🍾🍸🍰
OK, not so lucky on the flight back (to Manchester). No problem checking in the bag: agent volunteered there were upgrades, but I was listed behind a Vicky Gold and a Vicky Silver.

I hadn't played around with check-in times and -T3: the system allocated me an aisle seat on the 2-2 Embraer, within the "comfort seating" rows. These are essentially TAP's version of business-class seating, but without the smiles

After experiencing TAP's A320 business-class on my outward trip, I'm not looking forward to my upcoming overnight flight from Säo Tomé to Lisbon, which includes a middle-of-the-night stop in Accra for good measure .
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:07 am

So I purchased a LON - LIS ticket for later this year a few months back. Clearly recall calling TAP to understand if as *G would get free checked luggage on Discount, to which the answer was yes.

Now it seems that the answer is no, only for Victoria Gold. That is consistent now with the information here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/hold-baggage and the calculator here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/baggage-simulator

Very annoyed about this, but because don't have anything written that shows what I was told before, now will have to pay for checked luggage.

Be aware, because I've seen posts on this thread about getting 1 free checked luggage as *G on discount.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

The calculator on the website has indeed been updated since my flight 2 weeks ago, when it was still showing 1 item checked luggage for *Gold.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Ikaz
The calculator on the website has indeed been updated since my flight 2 weeks ago, when it was still showing 1 item checked luggage for *Gold.
Annoying, they change things like this, which impacts bookings that have already been done. Without any written proof, have 0 chance of getting that free checked bag.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bruno-s
Annoying, they change things like this, which impacts bookings that have already been done. Without any written proof, have 0 chance of getting that free checked bag.
I got caught out by that change when LX introduced the HBO light fares. On a flight in which I was transporting my entire life to relocate countries! Luckily I did have proof in the booking confirm, though ground staff were pretty grumpy...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bruno-s
....Clearly recall calling TAP to understand if as *G would get free checked luggage on Discount, to which the answer was yes.

Now it seems that the answer is no, only for Victoria Gold. That is consistent now with the information here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/hold-baggage and the calculator here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/baggage-simulator

Be aware, because I've seen posts on this thread about getting 1 free checked luggage as *G on discount.
I called TAP and the agent said "NO". She consulted a supervisor who said "NO".

Yet at online check-in the system said "yes". And the agent at the airport didn't bat an eyelid. My bag went free, both directions, no fuss whatsoever.

Things may well change later in the year. But we're talking TAP - not always the most consistent of carriers
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite, LATAM PASS Platinum
Contacted TAP and they've said that *GOLD no longer are entitled to bring a piece of checked baggage when travelling on their Discount fare. Furthermore, they have told me that *GOLD members effectively are not entitled to an extra piece of hold baggage (when not travelling on the Discount fare), except if connecting with two or more Star Alliance members. This is now also shown, though in a confused way, on their website.
Victoria Gold members are still entitled to a free piece of luggage on Discount and extra luggage on all other fares.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucasmontenegro
Contacted TAP and they've said that *GOLD no longer are entitled to bring a piece of checked baggage when travelling on their Discount fare. Furthermore, they have told me that *GOLD members effectively are not entitled to an extra piece of hold baggage (when not travelling on the Discount fare), except if connecting with two or more Star Alliance members. This is now also shown, though in a confused way, on their website.
Victoria Gold members are still entitled to a free piece of luggage on Discount and extra luggage on all other fares.
If you read the preceding posts, you'll see they've been saying this for some time. But the practice has been different - so far ...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Someone pose the question on TWITTER and see what TAP says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.