Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
And yes on TP website it shows very clearly that *G can check in extra piece.
Where does it say that?
Also, you're talking about an additional piece of luggage. I'm wondering if this also applies on a discount ticket without luggage purchased.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by glennl1985
Where does it say that?
Also, you're talking about an additional piece of luggage. I'm wondering if this also applies on a discount ticket without luggage purchased.
It is written very clearly in the luggage allowance section under extra luggage. An extra free piece ONLY applies if you have checked in luggage allowance or purchased 1 pc. If no checked in luggage allowance (free or paid) then no checked in luggage allowance if youre *G.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:22 am

If no checked in luggage allowance (free or paid) then no checked in luggage allowance if youre *G.
Well, that's not what's being said by others above, hence my question.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by glennl1985
Well, that's not what's being said by others above, hence my question.
Thats my experience last Jan. Most if not all the cheap econ airfares within Europe on *A allow no checked in luggage irrespective of pax being *G. If you look on the LH / LX /SK blogs inc here on FT you will see that.
However to be sure, you can email TP then you will have their reply (as I did), in writing. Maybe theyve changed their policy. The reply to me gave me the impression that they get asked that question fairly often. It would be interesting for you to share that reply!
Old May 6, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thats my experience last Jan. Most if not all the cheap econ airfares within Europe on *A allow no checked in luggage irrespective of pax being *G. If you look on the LH / LX /SK blogs inc here on FT you will see that.
However to be sure, you can email TP then you will have their reply (as I did), in writing. Maybe theyve changed their policy. The reply to me gave me the impression that they get asked that question fairly often. It would be interesting for you to share that reply!
From my experience flying TP regularly on the cheapest fares between UK and Lisbon, *G passengers in TP discount economy DO get one bag checked-in free of charge. This is despite telephone agents telling me this is not the case. My last flight was MAN LIS in February.

Irrespective of what other carriers do, TP gives *G passengers. even those on discount fares, an extra bag, and 0+1=1.

Once you've booked there is, or was, a neat section of the "manage my booking" page that calculates baggage charges. This shows zero cash required for one bag, once your *G number's in the system.

For once, TP's oddball approach to passenger service works to the passenger's advantage.

The webpage that confirms this is here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage...6-0fca9acad858

The relevant information is in the footnote below the table on the webpage:
.....entitled to one extra bag weighing a maximum of 23kg/50lb or 32kg/70lb, depending on the cabin in which they are travelling, even if travelling on Discount booking class.

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 6, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
One of the benefits listed on the status benefits comparison site is "Last Minute Upgrade". Anyone has some experience with this? What are the chances of getting upgraded, either on European flights or on long haul flights?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: TK, SQ, Swiss M&M
I'm flying tomorrow GVA-LIS on the discount ticket and I'm *G via Turkish Airlines. I tried adding a bag via the "manage booking" part of the website, but it was going to charge me USD50 roughly, so I didn't put in my card details.. Hence that feature no longer works, but the link on your website, which says "even on discount fares" still exists, so I'll take that page with me and try to wing it.

Any other advice would be welcome. I suppose the worst thing that can happen will be to get charged for the bag at check in.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
From my experience flying TP regularly on the cheapest fares between UK and Lisbon, *G passengers in TP discount economy DO get one bag checked-in free of charge. This is despite telephone agents telling me this is not the case. My last flight was MAN LIS in February.

Irrespective of what other carriers do, TP gives *G passengers. even those on discount fares, an extra bag, and 0+1=1.

Once you've booked there is, or was, a neat section of the "manage my booking" page that calculates baggage charges. This shows zero cash required for one bag, once your *G number's in the system.

For once, TP's oddball approach to passenger service works to the passenger's advantage.

The webpage that confirms this is here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage...6-0fca9acad858

The relevant information is in the footnote below the table on the webpage:
.....entitled to one extra bag weighing a maximum of 23kg/50lb or 32kg/70lb, depending on the cabin in which they are travelling, even if travelling on Discount booking class.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snoozeboy

I'll let you know how it works out.

Please do!

....and good luck
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: TK, SQ, Swiss M&M
Please do!

....and good luck
I went to the business class check in and checked the bag without any questions asked. Thanks for your help.
IAN-UK, SK AAR, MatthewLAX and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Snoozeboy
I went to the business class check in and checked the bag without any questions asked. Thanks for your help.
Is this still the case when flying on the Discount fare? Any recent experience anyone?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
Originally Posted by fil_87
Is this still the case when flying on the Discount fare? Any recent experience anyone?
Just checked the TAP website and it doesn't seem to have changed so far

Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by fil_87
I can confirm that as of November 20 you DO get a free bag. No free seat selection though, unless you nicely ask at the gate. There was a report that at T-1 seat selection becomes free, though at that point, OLCI may already be closed.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Do I need a personal Account on the TAP website? Because I just checked my flight on TAP without an account. Even with my UA FF number correctly inserted, it still says +35€ if I want to add Baggage.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Foxbat21
Do I need a personal Account on the TAP website? Because I just checked my flight on TAP without an account. Even with my UA FF number correctly inserted, it still says +35€ if I want to add Baggage.
This message is still on the website: it's very clear, once you find it....

IF you are *A Gold, you get an extra bag, even on discount fares,

You can check for yourself https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage...6-0fca9acad858

But TAP wouldn't be TAPif it didn't make it difficult: to get the information you have to click onto the <EXTRA BAGGAGE> toggle above the table half-way down the page.

Flying Machine and romans like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Foxbat21
Unlike what happens, for example, on the Aegean Airlines website, the Star Gold feature does not work on TAP website. Just go straight to the Business class desk at the airport & check-in there.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.