Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:06 pm

Landed in Lisbon today and the TAP agent at the TAP / Star Alliance Gold customer centre at Lisbon airport told me that, starting February, Star Gold passengers will not be entitled anymore a free-of-charge checked-in luggage when travelling on the Discount fare.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by fil_87
Landed in Lisbon today and the TAP agent at the TAP / Star Alliance Gold customer centre at Lisbon airport told me that, starting February, Star Gold passengers will not be entitled anymore a free-of-charge checked-in luggage when travelling on the Discount fare.
For years this has been the standard reply of agents asked about the benefit. I guess that's why the question keeps popping up in this thread.

It's one of the few discernible benefits the airline offers to differentiate it from low-cost carriers.

Maybe it will happen, and TAP will continue its inexorable decline.

I
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Maybe it will happen, and TAP will continue its inexorable decline.
FWIW, LX, LH and OS offer no free *G allowance on the saver tickets for intra-Europe travel, and LX and OS offer no free bags on intercontinental travel (UA and AC still offer free bags to *G). So, TP would only be matching them.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
FWIW, LX, LH and OS offer no free *G allowance on the saver tickets for intra-Europe travel, and LX and OS offer no free bags on intercontinental travel (UA and AC still offer free bags to *G). So, TP would only be matching them.
Sure, but LH did that as a successful airline with market power. TAP is essentially a failed carrier, kept afloat by charity.

On the *G front the airline has shut down lounges and downgraded onboard service: a pay-for-bags policy isn't going to win back a single *G passenger, and it's likely to lose a fair few more. Question is if the increase in bag-generated revenue can compensate for lost ticket sales. It's a gamble TAP can ill-afford to lose.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:30 am

Just adding a data point here. Flew EWR-LIS-BCN Feb 25, and as a *G was able to add a bag online during check-in for free. I actually booked the flight using my TAP mileage account to get the small discount, and then edited my FF details once booked to reflect my United *G status.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
TAP Website headaches

Originally Posted by tracks1000
Just adding a data point here. Flew EWR-LIS-BCN Feb 25, and as a *G was able to add a bag online during check-in for free. I actually booked the flight using my TAP mileage account to get the small discount, and then edited my FF details once booked to reflect my United *G status.
I'm trying to do exactly this - on my sfo-lis-ory itinerary coming up. Used TAP FF# to get the minor discount. Now try to switch it over to my UA *G - but the website keeps crapping out on me...any tricks to this?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:33 am

Works!

As united premier gold I was able to do online check-in (SFO-LIS) on discounted airfare with one free bag. It worked as I was hoping. Thanks all.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
To understand you correctly, you changed FFP on the TP webpage or during OLCI and your UA elite status was acknowledged by allowing you 1 free checked bag at OLCI?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
To understand you correctly, you changed FFP on the TP webpage or during OLCI and your UA elite status was acknowledged by allowing you 1 free checked bag at OLCI?
correct - I had to talk to TAP phone support to switch my FF# to my UA * G. A week or so, ago.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Any recent experiences checking in baggage as *G on Discount fares?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by zeer0
Yes. it worked fine for me last week.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by petersjp
Yes. it worked fine for me last week.
Thanks for that information. Did you do it on line or just go the business class check in desk
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
Yes

If goldness is registered and recognised in your booking, the system should take care of things at online check-in

It works at regular chack-in, but agents don't always know about it (it's not in all versions of their notes): so in case things go wrong you might take along a PDF from the customer-facing website;

https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage...6-0fca9acad858

Scroll down to find the bit below, then click on the information button highlighted (which confirms the further detail that discount fares get the extra bag for Gold)

zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Any recent experience with pre-booking seats for free?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Sitting here at TAP Lounge in LIS. Flying agp-lis-ord, cheapest low fare no problem checking in a free bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.