Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the fast answer jerry_greece.

Just flown with two hand luggage only tickets (and from 2 different airports, both of us star gold) and we both were allowed to check in one item of luggage.

I could select any available seat during online check-in, I took a so called "comfort" seat in row 6, but that was a mistake as the seat pitch was really bad! I will go for the emergency exit on my way home.

At the airport I was allowed the regular benefits (lounge and fast track)
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Careful at MUC where LH does check-in for TAP.

I was denied an extra bag by a rude Lufthansa check-in agent in MUC. I wasn't even on a "Discount" class ticket but a "Basic" which included TAP and LH on the PNR, so according to Star Alliance rules I am entitled to an additional bag.

My call to TAP confirmed that the benefit is still given and I went to a different check-in agent and got the bag checked, but it does show that the confusion is widespread. The first check-in agent said her system displayed that the second bag was chargeable, so there may be some IT issues around the new TAP tariffs too.

What kind of alliance is Star when these issues occur and each airline is free to do what it likes? If I'd been less questioning Lufthansa would have taken me for €60. No way I would have ever seen that money again either.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It's clearly stated on their website.
Also, they have a calculator where you can fill in your rate, fare and status.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Thanks. That's very useful.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I was travelling on one of these cheap tickets yesterday and the day before - yes, you get +1 piece for status regardless of the ticket fare class.
The A321 yesterday, though, had all seats as paid seats, and wouldn't let me change my seat even during check-in without paying. The same fare class on the outbound let me select exit rows without any problems.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:29 pm

Just having that problem too. It's showing seats allocated and chargeable and won't complete check-in without paying and every other seat on the whole aircraft is chargeable. It's impossible for me to check in online without paying a seat. Their website is so crap.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've been whizzing about on TP regional services over the last couple of weeks: all flights on the very cheapest, basic, nothing-included fares, most just a smidge over the prices offered by Ryanair et al.

I'm used to BA and LH hand-baggage only tickets, so I was delighted to find my non-TP Goldness shone through and gave me the right to check-in a bag. Any seat was available for OCI 36-hours prior to take-off. Access to fast-track security and lounge entry (where available) without any fuss.

So these fares offer excellent value to *G passengers. Best keep that quiet though .

The only downside was the on-board refeicao ligeira which inevitably translated into a sandwich; and on the MAN LIS Portugalia service, the single bottle of red wine which represented the only alcoholic beverage on board. The cabin crew explained that weight restrictions and/or government regulations prevented them from carrying more .....

OK, the other downside was the dysfunctional (bus) boarding at LIS: but that's something so ingrained in the fabric of TP that it's hardly worth the mentioning.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:15 am

When has seat selection been a *Gold benefit?

It never has been on the list.... yet folks always seem to think they are hard done by when they don't get it....
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by trooper
When has seat selection been a *Gold benefit?

It never has been on the list.... yet folks always seem to think they are hard done by when they don't get it....
I was highlighting the change in TP policy between my last flight and this one. Before, as a *G all seats were available at online check-in. Now, you take what is offered or you pay.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The only downside was the on-board refeicao ligeira which inevitably translated into a sandwich;
The only place where the 'snack' is a "real" meal is on longer routes e.g. LIS-DME.

OK, the other downside was the dysfunctional (bus) boarding at LIS: but that's something so ingrained in the fabric of TP that it's hardly worth the mentioning.
Unfortunately it's not only TP. OTOH, jetways take forever to connect up to planes in LIS. It's a "welcome to Portugal" in its full glory.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
The only place where the 'snack' is a "real" meal is on longer routes e.g. LIS-DME.
I can live with the sandwich, even with getting on for three hours to Manchester. After all, I'd gorged myself on pasties de nada and other delights in the lounge But I found a single bottle of red wine, no other alcoholic beverage, just a little sad: a beer would have been so nice.

It's a "welcome to Portugal" in its full glory.
I'm quite happy with bus transfers on arrival - especially as mine are most often from the UK, and the bus avoids the awfully long trudge from the non-Schengen gates to the passport business.

i get irritated and angry on bus departures. "any remaining passengers go immediately to gate..." where the ground crew shovel us into a queue on the stairs to a waiting area, then eventually on to a packed bus - to wait until the OK is given to proceed to the aircraft.

Passengers are directed for the convenience of ground-handlers: not a thought to their comfort. On Sunday we were wrapped up and packaged, stood on the stairs, then in a bus for fully 25 minutes, before we moved off to the remote stand. Perhaps similar badly coordinated stuff happens elsewhere, but Lisbon is the only place I experience it.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:43 pm

Passengers are directed for the convenience of ground-handlers: not a thought to their comfort. On Sunday we were wrapped up and packaged, stood on the stairs, then in a bus for fully 25 minutes, before we moved off to the remote stand. Perhaps similar badly coordinated stuff happens elsewhere, but Lisbon is the only place I experience it.
Happens elsewhere (e.g. FRA), but with much higher frequency at LIS.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens elsewhere (e.g. FRA), but with much higher frequency at LIS.
I'm not sure if that is an exculpatory comment intended to defend or mitigate TAP's clumsiness in passenger handling.

Of course, it can happen just about everywhere! but (anecdotal evidence) it's common practice at Lisbon. Entirely TAP's fault: the airline needs to manage its service providers better. There's a lack of coordination between operational staff, the gate people and the ground-handler.

TAP-Groundforce-ANA represents a tired, in-bred and dysfunctional nexus.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 17, 2016 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:12 am

I'm not sure if that is an exculpatory comment intended to defend or mitigate TAP's clumsiness in passenger handling.

Of course, it can happen just about everywhere! but (anecdotal evidence) it's common practice at Lisbon. Entirely TAP's fault: the airline needs to manage its service providers better. There's a lack of coordination between operational staff, the gate people and the ground-handler.

TAP-Groundforce-ANA represents a tired, in-bred and dysfunctional nexus.
Not trying to excuse or mitigate anything. It's just a personal unfortunate observation . Though having gone through the hell of trying to get AC to rebook me yesterday from YUL, I'd say TAP is actually a well-functioning airline in case or irrops!

My experience this morning at FRA with LH was similar to a TP bus boarding at LIS. :/
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I can understand a discount fare does not allow advanced seat selection, however even during check-in I could not change my seat, even within the same category! Now stuck in a middle seat which is pretty crap as *G.
What are the chances they allow an exit row seat or comfort seat for free at the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.