Wiki Posts
Search

Issues With Hong Kong Airlines Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Issues With Hong Kong Airlines Seat Selection

I just booked a flight from LAX to HKG to BKK and back in December, and the HKG <--> BKK segments are on Hong Kong Airlines. Does anyone have any experience with how to select seats on those flights? I tried putting my 016 ticket number in the manage booking page on the HK Airlines website, but that doesn't work either. Also, the only confirmation number besides the UA one is a CA confirmation code.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vegasbased
I just booked a flight from LAX to HKG to BKK and back in December, and the HKG <--> BKK segments are on Hong Kong Airlines. Does anyone have any experience with how to select seats on those flights? I tried putting my 016 ticket number in the manage booking page on the HK Airlines website, but that doesn't work either. Also, the only confirmation number besides the UA one is a CA confirmation code.
Try the CA confirmation code. Unless you have a CA flight hidden somewhere in there, it’s probably just a mapping error from UA.

If that doesn’t work, you can contact the airline directly either to get seat assignments or to get their confirmation number. Or both.
vegasbased likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jsloan for the quick reply!

HX doesn’t have a US phone number, but I was able to reach someone through their chat function. Long story short, she told me that because I have a 016 ticket, I have to wait till check in to get a seat. I’m kind of surprised by this, but at least it’s a short flight.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long story short, she told me that because I have a 016 ticket, I have to wait till check in to get a seat. I’m kind of surprised by this, but at least it’s a short flight.
That’s actually quite common for airlines that do not offer free seat selection.
vegasbased likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Dont leave your stomach empty when flying Hong Kong Airlines if flying economy, you could be served with just a bun.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 9:28 am

Hi, piggy backing onto this thread - I am flying HKG > NRT > YYZ (tickets purchased through Air Canada), with the HKG > NRT segment being through HX. I also don't have the HX ticket number, so I'm just wondering how to check in for HX online? I'm asking a relative in Hong Kong to contact HX and ask for me, but if anyone has any insight, that'd be helpful, thanks !
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:10 am
Original Member

It seems that you are unlikely to do online check in in this case. HX is literally using HU's system which isn't too compatible and flexible. Having said that, do you have HX's PNR? You can always ask AC for that though getting in touch with AC could be a challenge
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Chatter
It seems that you are unlikely to do online check in in this case. HX is literally using HU's system which isn't too compatible and flexible. Having said that, do you have HX's PNR? You can always ask AC for that though getting in touch with AC could be a challenge
Thanks for your input ! I have a code from AC that I'm supposed to be able to "use" with HX, but it looks very much like AC's 6 character code. Should I contact HX with that code and see if it means anything to them ? I may have to try contacting AC, if nothing comes from contacting HX.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by alwaysxoxo
Thanks for your input ! I have a code from AC that I'm supposed to be able to "use" with HX, but it looks very much like AC's 6 character code. Should I contact HX with that code and see if it means anything to them ? I may have to try contacting AC, if nothing comes from contacting HX.
Yes, that’s where you should start. That should be your booking reference on HX, and pls quote this when you call HX. But given you have a connection involved, if HX’s online check in system could do much for your AC flight. If you have already got your seat reserved your NRT-YYZ flight, then there isn’t much to bother, otherwise you may try to do online check in with AC. When you are at the airport, remember to insist tagging through your baggage all the way to YYZ. If HX can’t print you the boarding pass, you can pick it up at NRT transfer desk.

If your ticket is purchased from online agent, the story could be different as there is chance they just bundle two tickets together
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter
If your ticket is purchased from online agent, the story could be different as there is chance they just bundle two tickets together
Tickets were purchased directly through Air Canada. I have seats reserved already for the NRT-YYZ flight, and will likely check in through the app for that flight directly. I’ll try to call HX and ask for clarification on check in with them for their flight ! Thanks again !
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: Diamond: HH & BW. PlatElite: IHG. Exp: Hyatt. Gold: UA & Bonvoy
Thanks jsloan for the quick reply!

HX doesn’t have a US phone number, but I was able to reach someone through their chat function. Long story short, she told me that because I have a 016 ticket, I have to wait till check in to get a seat. I’m kind of surprised by this, but at least it’s a short flight.
Tickets were purchased directly through Air Canada. I have seats reserved already for the NRT-YYZ flight, and will likely check in through the app for that flight directly. I’ll try to call HX and ask for clarification on check in with them for their flight ! Thanks again !
Was this ever resolved? Same thing with me, booked United and received a 016 ticket number prefix, the flight includes some "Air China" segments which is actually Hong Kong airlines. They tell me the only way to do it without paying extra $$$ is to visit the Airport counter. That will be quite an adventure since I'm near LAX and I'm not 100% sure if they'll actually do this before the check-in window
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:33 am

Well, they don't even have a counter in LAX or anywhere in the Americas...
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:50 am

Hi ! So I had a relative call HK Airlines for me to ask - they advised that we would receive a check-in email which would provide the relevant information. My understanding is that HK Airlines allows online check-in at 48 hours.

I can pop back in and update in a few days - my parents are flying the YYZ > NRT / NRT > HKG in a few days. So their 48 hours should be coming up soon.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:43 am

Hi ! So I had a relative call HK Airlines for me to ask - they advised that we would receive a check-in email which would provide the relevant information. My understanding is that HK Airlines allows online check-in at 48 hours.

I can pop back in and update in a few days - my parents are flying the YYZ > NRT / NRT > HKG in a few days. So their 48 hours should be coming up soon.
Thanks, would be much appreciated
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Was this ever resolved? Same thing with me, booked United and received a 016 ticket number prefix, the flight includes some "Air China" segments which is actually Hong Kong airlines. They tell me the only way to do it without paying extra $$$ is to visit the Airport counter. That will be quite an adventure since I'm near LAX and I'm not 100% sure if they'll actually do this before the check-in window
So for my trip, I got it schedule changed to OZ flights which were a lot easier to deal with for seat assignments, though not as good as United operated flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.