Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

China Airlines Business Class

I have done repeated searches related to people's experiences on China Airlines business class recently, but my searches are full of irrelevant topics only, including lots of "Air China" results. It seems that all over the net, including on skytrax, reviews of their business products thin out or disappear after about 2009. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me whether their business class is still as bad as the reviewers from a few years ago are saying? I plan to fly NRT-BKK via Taipei, return.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:01 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
China Airlines Business

The TPE-NRT or vice versa is very good (both plane and food) but TPE-BKK-TPE still sucks with old aircraft. My sis took that roundtrip two weeks ago.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:05 pm

How much cheaper are they than other options?

The CI lounges in TPE are decent enough. They have a decent noodle bar where you can get cooked to order beef noodles.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:40 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the airlines of Asia forum, for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I think they are probably the cheapest option you can get so don't expect standards of 5 stars.

NRT-TPE v.v.

- 333 will usually be regional seats (150 deg lie angle)
- 744 will be refurbished long haul but still not lie flat

* The Japanese style should be the food you want to eat on board, they are better.

TPE-BKK v.v.

- 333 will usually be regional seats (150 deg lie angle)
- 343 is always 160 deg lie angle
- 744 may be 74C or refurbished 744 but both are not lie flat
- 738 (avoid)

Though I don't think it's very important to have a lie flat seat on these two short hauls?

CI lounge in NRT is poor so if you are Skyteam ELITE+ go use Delta Sky Club or some other lounges available there. CI lounge in TPE is the best you can get so... CI lounge in BKK is not great but sufficient, if you are Skytem ELITE+ go use another lounge there.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
How much cheaper are they than other options?

The CI lounges in TPE are decent enough. They have a decent noodle bar where you can get cooked to order beef noodles.
Thank you for all the responses, everyone. Well, no other business class ticket is in my price range. I'm just taking a one week vacation. Also, because of the flight schedule I want, I have narrowed it down to two choices: business class on China Airlines($980), or Economy on Thai for $660. I try to avoid economy when I can these days, as my 220 lb wide-shouldered build just makes it torture in most cases, with the exception of a short flight. Even they can be bad if I get crammed against the wall of a 737 on some shite airline that does not allow advance seat selection.

Last time I flew Thai it was in business class, so I cannot remember how good or bad I felt in economy on Thai in the past. Thai also has sloping business seats, so maybe China Airlines is no worse than Thai, in terms of the seat?

Supposedly, 3 of my flights would be on an A330-300, and one would be on a 737-800. Any thoughts on that? Someone said the 737 sucks...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wolfman888
Thank you for all the responses, everyone. Well, no other business class ticket is in my price range. I'm just taking a one week vacation. Also, because of the flight schedule I want, I have narrowed it down to two choices: business class on China Airlines($980), or Economy on Thai for $660. I try to avoid economy when I can these days, as my 220 lb wide-shouldered build just makes it torture in most cases, with the exception of a short flight. Even they can be bad if I get crammed against the wall of a 737 on some shite airline that does not allow advance seat selection.

Last time I flew Thai it was in business class, so I cannot remember how good or bad I felt in economy on Thai in the past. Thai also has sloping business seats, so maybe China Airlines is no worse than Thai, in terms of the seat?

Supposedly, 3 of my flights would be on an A330-300, and one would be on a 737-800. Any thoughts on that? Someone said the 737 sucks...

Now you are referring to Air China right? China Airlines is not a Star Alliance member.
If it is Air China, we were on the PEK to FRA route and service and food was good, in lie flat horizontal seats. We were on the 773.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Now you are referring to Air China right? China Airlines is not a Star Alliance member.
If it is Air China, we were on the PEK to FRA route and service and food was good, in lie flat horizontal seats. We were on the 773.
No, I am not a confused basket case; "China Airlines" means "China Airlines," and because it is "China Airlines," it is flying NRT-BKK via Taipei, which Air China would not be allowed to do. However, I will keep your info in mind if and when I ever feel brave enough to board Air China; the people on Skytrax seem to feel that it is the equivalent of flying in a pig pen. Thus, I steer clear of it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:40 am

I would say $980 is a bargain for this duration of flight in Business.

Enjoy your vacation.
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
CI lounge in NRT is poor so if you are Skyteam ELITE+ go use Delta Sky Club or some other lounges available there.
Unless MU has a better lounge, I don't know how practical going over to T1 would be.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Unless MU has a better lounge, I don't know how practical going over to T1 would be.
I am not sure at the moment, but I probably will not have time to use a lounge before leaving NRT; however, I will want a lounge for sure before flying out of BKK, and I should have time to use the lounge in Taipei when going in one direction at least. One stopover is 1:10 and the other is 1:45.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:43 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Need to correct what I said earlier as I just talked to my sis. Only BKK-TPE segment was on an old plane, the other 3 segments were excellent.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:57 pm

anyone done KHH-BKK on CI lately? wondering if upgrade to business is worth double the FB miles.

Also, how much do these flights (Taiwan-BKK) usually go for in June?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiam
Need to correct what I said earlier as I just talked to my sis. Only BKK-TPE segment was on an old plane, the other 3 segments were excellent.
Thanks, Kiam. Having 3 out of 4 legs being excellent probably makes me lean more towards giving them a try, rather than going with TG economy.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mapotofu
anyone done KHH-BKK on CI lately? wondering if upgrade to business is worth double the FB miles.

Also, how much do these flights (Taiwan-BKK) usually go for in June?
If it's on a 738 then forget it, 333 is okay.

You can check the prices on CI's website and get an idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.