Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
We dont have a specific timeline. Were working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2024, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Level (via IB) is an unusual arrangement.---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_(airline_brand)
Level brand is not a OW airline. Nor is it listed as an IB affiliate
https://www.oneworld.com/members
https://www.oneworld.com/members/iberia

HA is being taken over by AS. With AS will be one frequent frequent flyer program that will adsorb the HA ffp. Would expect HA marketed flights to credit to other ffp's just the as AS flights do now.. Do see any comparison between HA and Level.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Level (via IB) is an unusual arrangement.---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_(airline_brand)
Level brand is not a OW airline. Nor is it listed as an IB affiliate
https://www.oneworld.com/members
https://www.oneworld.com/members/iberia

HA is being taken over by AS. With AS will be one frequent frequent flyer program that will adsorb the HA ffp. Would expect HA marketed flights to credit to other ffp's just the as AS flights do now.. Do see any comparison between HA and Level.
Agree, I don't see the AS and HA merger as anything different than US and AA for example, if I recall correctly they operated as independent brands for a period of time and if AS is to be believed then AS and HA will continue to operate as independent brands indefinitely. I can definitely see a use case in the future for a new name for the combined airline since neither current airline name really fits the combined brand, and even AS doesn't have it's primary focus in Alaska anymore, they're really a Lower 48 west coast carrier with one giant hub in SEA and 3 smaller hubs in PDX, SFO, and LAX. Don't get me wrong, ANC is still an important hub for them too, but I think these days SEA is much bigger. It's almost like if Aero California or Air Florida still existed and had their headquarters and main hub in Texas.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 5:27 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Level long haul flights are operated on IB metal by IB crews on an IB certificate on IB flight numbers (indeed I've had fully IB flights with real J painted in Level livery). For all intents and purposes, it's Iberia but just sold as a different brand and not as part of Oneworld. It's not like EI which is a completely separate airline owned by IAG. Level isn't an airline at all as it doesn't have an operating certificate, it's just a branding operation.

As AS is planning on keeping the Hawaiian brand but all be part of a single airline, it's a similar arrangement. So it's not guaranteed to be part of OW (though I'd think it's likely)
csycsycsy likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
As AS is planning on keeping the Hawaiian brand but all be part of a single airline, it's a similar arrangement. So it's not guaranteed to be part of OW (though I'd think it's likely)
Agree that AS/HA have been a bit squishy with the language, but HA's CEO made it clear in an interview with Forbes last week (not allowed to post links yet, but it's easy to find):

FORBES: RQ: Would Hawaiian join the oneworld alliance?
PI: Since Alaska Airlines is a member, this would be the plan over time for Hawaiian to join the oneworld alliance.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Level long haul flights are operated on IB metal by IB crews on an IB certificate on IB flight numbers (indeed I've had fully IB flights with real J painted in Level livery). For all intents and purposes, it's Iberia but just sold as a different brand and not as part of Oneworld. It's not like EI which is a completely separate airline owned by IAG. Level isn't an airline at all as it doesn't have an operating certificate, it's just a branding operation.

I wasn't aware that IB was operating Level that way, but don't think that's even remotely what's expected with the AS / HA merger. AS has indicated they'll be one master airline with two different flight codes.

What IB is doing with Level sounds more similar to what A3 does with OA, which is quite odd to be frank. You can get benefits on OA flights with A3 status but not any other *A status yet they operate as OA on nearly all domestic flights. Absolute farce to avoid *A benefits on domestic flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 2:44 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
As per this announcement from oneworld issued today, Fiji Airways is joining the alliance as a full member within the next twelve months, bringing the total number of members to 15 once Oman Air joins later this year. Good thing too since the whole 'connect' thing didn't go anywhere, and I prefer having a simplified structure of either being a fully participating member or not a member at all.

khabah
SPN Lifer, jahason and ademanuele like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
As per this announcement from oneworld issued today, Fiji Airways is joining the alliance as a full member within the next twelve months, bringing the total number of members to 15 once Oman Air joins later this year. Good thing too since the whole 'connect' thing didn't go anywhere, and I prefer having a simplified structure of either being a fully participating member or not a member at all.

khabah
Things will be really interesting if/when Hawaiian joins, looks like an update to the oneworld Explorer rules

Is there any prospect of any airlines joining that will improve access to Africa and South America?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 6:06 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Things will be really interesting if/when Hawaiian joins, looks like an update to the oneworld Explorer rules

Is there any prospect of any airlines joining that will improve access to Africa and South America?
Per some sources said, RwandAir is trying to enter oneworld
SPN Lifer and ademanuele like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Excellent news, looking forward to that on next year's RTW tickets. Though don't count your eggs until they hatch, lots of rumors around that WY (Oman) is dropping out. I haven't seen anything official yet, but there's been zero updates either when it was supposed to happen this quarter or next quarter.

Originally Posted by pochi
Per some sources said, RwandAir is trying to enter oneworld
Have you found anything recent about that? Last I saw was a couple of years ago from QR. I can see it still happening, and we really need some intra-Africa connectivity but has been quite a while with no news.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:04 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Excellent news, looking forward to that on next year's RTW tickets. Though don't count your eggs until they hatch, lots of rumors around that WY (Oman) is dropping out. I haven't seen anything official yet, but there's been zero updates either when it was supposed to happen this quarter or next quarter.

Have you found anything recent about that? Last I saw was a couple of years ago from QR. I can see it still happening, and we really need some intra-Africa connectivity but has been quite a while with no news.
The latest would be 2022, sadly.
Just like MIAT said they're trying to enter oneworld connect but no news after August 2023....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:13 am

One Mile at a Time just posted an article about Oman - says still happening, and in 2024.

(Again cant link yet but article is easy to find).

Two years later, at the June 2024 IATA annual general meeting in Dubai, the CEO of oneworld has confirmed that Oman Air is on track to join the alliance in the coming months.
SPN Lifer and dvs7310 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by remyn
One Mile at a Time just posted an article about Oman - says still happening, and in 2024.

Two years later, at the June 2024 IATA annual general meeting in Dubai, the CEO of oneworld has confirmed that Oman Air is on track to join the alliance in the coming months.
Certainly hope so, despite their shrinking network and moving towards an O&D and regional model there may still be good use cases for them. But with the direction that WY is going, definitely WB and FJ are likely to be bigger gems in the network, especially for RTW xONEx tickets.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 10:05 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by remyn

Oman Air's joining is in the same news release as the word on Fiji.

oneworld will triple in size by 2025, expanding from the original four founding members to fifteen in the next twelve months, with Oman Air and Fiji Airways joining the alliance as full members.
oneworld Marks 25 Years & Outlines Enhanced Customer Focus | oneworld

​​​​​​​

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
What's the destination supposed to be that ended up marked at 0, 0?
Old Jun 3, 2024, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Oman Air's joining is in the same news release as the word on Fiji.
<snip>
oneworld Marks 25 Years & Outlines Enhanced Customer Focus | oneworld

​​​​​​​
Fiji Airways route map unclear as it includes (dotted) code shares.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_Airways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations
Will be an interesting addition to OW *ONE* fares. Were already in *GLOB* fares
OW media -- oneworld Says “Bula” To Fiji Airways As Its 15th Full Member Airline

The Oneworld Connect membership for FJ made no sense and added little. Lounge access rules were particularly confusing. FJ were ff partners before some of the OW airlines before OW Connect

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 3, 2024 at 2:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.