Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

How to post flights to different programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2000, 11:22 am
Original Poster

For the purposes of "Continents" promotion it appears, as per Anne from Webflyer that flights can be credited to different oneworld programs. What's the best way to do this?

When I booked my flights then my TA asked for my frequent flyer number. If he enters this AAdvantage number for the whole trip then how can I put some flights into my BA EC membership? Now, don't get me wrong!! I am not trying to credit 2 different programs with the same flight but wouldn't BA raise the issue when I send them my boarding passes and they have AA number on them? Besides, wouldn't all flight segments go to my AA account automatically if AA number is used at the time of booking?
Old Jul 1, 2000, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Spider

Have the t/a remove all FF numbers from your reservation. Best way to do it from here is to submit the BPs at the end of the flight to the respective FF programmes you want credit on.

When I did the oneworld promo last year (albeit on many r/t tickets), I 1) usually kept the outbound for submission, 2) had the agent punch in the FF number for the return portion, and, 3) occasionally, have the gate agent enter the FF number for the outbound.

Since you are on a RTW itinerary, I would recommend keeping your BPs for submission at the end.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 8:26 pm
Original Member

My suggestion is not to give a FF# whatsoever before the trip is completed. Just keep the boarding passes until you come back from your trip and fax them in afterwards.
I did the oneworld promo last year and had a lot of problems with getting the correct numbers in while flying. Especially if you are on tight connections.
Old Jul 2, 2000, 12:21 am

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
There was mention on another thread that having the RTW ticket broken up into seperate PNRs and then adding the FF number to the appropriate PNR at checkin or whenever convenient would be a suitable way to handle this. Is this indeed possible?

It makes it easier if the program you are trying to credit to may have a language/geographical hurdle to overcome. I can't imagine getting credit into IB after the travel would be easy for an Australian who speaks 10 words of Spanish.
Old Jul 2, 2000, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input!

There's still one thing that bugs me a bit.
Several months back I read in a thread under either Star or LH or UA something about booking a flight with one FF number from say UA and at the gate have the agent enter the LH FF number for the flight. I can hardly recall any of this as it was several months ago and I could be wrong about the whole matter as I wasn't that deeply into mile collecting back then but I believe that Rudi was giving some info (to either Bernie or Mizu and I could be wrong again) about the advantages and disadvantages of Miles Plus and Miles&More. Does anyone recall this? Maybe Rudi, if you are reading this, can shed some light on this? If this works for Star then why not for 1W? I hope I didn't confuse everyone. Sorry if I did.

Bers:

I am sure that our Spanish speaking friends on this board can teach you a few Spanish phrases. At least the ones to use when you're dissatisfied with IB service.
BTW, have you worked out your Continents RTW plan? When are you going?

[This message has been edited by Spider (edited 07-02-2000).]
Old Jul 3, 2000, 5:31 am

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Originally posted by Spider:

There's still one thing that bugs me a bit.
Several months back I read in a thread under either Star or LH or UA something about booking a flight with one FF number from say UA and at the gate have the agent enter the LH FF number for the flight. I can hardly recall any of this as it was several months ago and I could be wrong about the whole matter as I wasn't that deeply into mile collecting back then but I believe that Rudi was giving some info (to either Bernie or Mizu and I could be wrong again) about the advantages and disadvantages of Miles Plus and Miles&More. Does anyone recall this?
Yep - because Rudi mentioned it again very recently. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/002282.html (it took me a while to find that).

Bers - BTW, have you worked out your Continents RTW plan? When are you going?
Yes I've worked it out but I don't think I'm going. I have Uni starting in 2 weeks and the Olympic torch passes only 50 metres from my house on Saturday which to be honest is a once in a lifetime thing. I also have a number of work related things due soon and I couldn't get them to pay for the RTW ticket (although money is the least of the concern). Sure I could do it but I suppose I need a FT bit of insipration and even with that, I don't see me making it. Still, there'll be plenty more bonuses in my lifetime.
Old Jul 3, 2000, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by bers:
Yep - because Rudi mentioned it again very recently. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/002282.html (it took me a while to find that).
Thanks for your trouble Bers. Do you think same thing would work for AA/BA/CX/QF? I wonder if anyone has tried this?? I wish there was more info about it...

I've worked it out but I don't think I'm going. I have Uni starting in 2 weeks and the Olympic torch passes only 50 metres from my house on Saturday which to be honest is a once in a lifetime thing.

Not to worry. There'll be plenty of more bonuses. Enjoy the sight of Olympic torch passing! If you wanna see more of it then you can always come to Sydney and get the feel of draconian laws that have been introduced here for the Olympics (wander onto "closed" street on foot and it's $2000 on the spot fine, drive onto "closed" street and it's $5000 on the spot plus confiscation of the car). I wonder if they are ever going to finish that Bondi volleyball stadium which partially collapsed due to strong seas.....
Old Jul 3, 2000, 7:34 am

Thanks for your trouble Bers. Do you think same thing would work for AA/BA/CX/QF? I wonder if anyone has tried this?? I wish there was more info about it...
I suspect it will work. Just while typing that first sentance I realise I've got a friend who works as a Airport Officer for QF and has just been accepted into the FA program - why haven't I thought of her for these sort of questions yet? I can see me talking to her more often from now on

However, what I was going to say before I had that brain wave, was that I am going to force my father to get an AA membership as he past QF Gold months ago and has been flying without enhancing status multiple times. I'll get him to start using this method until he does a challenge for Platinum so that he always has Gold showing on the screen at checkin. I'll let you know how it goes (unless you find out sooner).

I can't imagine it won't work. If they can add the information at any time (gate or club etc) then surely they can change it at any stage.

And $2000? Ouch! Are you sure you didn't get off the plane at the wrong stop - perhaps you are in Singapore?

BTW, Spider what's your latest itinerary?
Old Jul 3, 2000, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Bers:

Good luck with your newly remembered friend! If you are really nice to her then I am sure she can get you lots of extra miles and best deals. Just fill the rest of us in on the semi published secrets from her.

So, how do you suggest this whole FF number thing will work? I am way too tired and my overworked brain is screaming for some sleep, so I can't figure it out at the moment. But since I am leaving on Wed then I don't have too much time to think anyway.

Let's see if I am on the right track... give AA number at the time of booking and check-in and then BA number when boarding? It can't be that simple. I must have missed something.

And $2000? Ouch! Are you sure you didn't get off the plane at the wrong stop - perhaps you are in Singapore?

I wish I was! At least it's warm there (unlike here) and they don't close roads due to unexpected snowfalls.

My latest plan is:

SYD-AKL-LAX-JFK-BOS - Central/South America - ORD-ARN - Europe... yet to be determined...
Old Jul 3, 2000, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Only on CX/AA/QF/IB flights can you segment select which FF program you want credited.

ie Say, QF from SYD-HKG, and CX from HKG to LHR and AA from LHR to NYC. You can credit one segment at a time to each FF programme you want credited to. IB is a little tricky but it does work similarly.

ie QF flight on Asiamiles, CX flight to AA, and even AA flight to CP. This does NOT work for BA flights as BA's computer will accept that first number you input for all flights and cannot even be replaced at the airport.

Rather than have an airline do it for you - if you made your booking through your travel agent, he / she can input the correct info for you. Most airlines do not know how to input other airlines' FF programme into their system...with the exception of AA staff.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 10:42 am

the ba comment is not true based on my experience. i have most definitely put in different numbers for differing segemnts. this is commonplace for us aa plat's that need miles within europe for our aa acounts, while we cannot post transaatlantic ba flights to those same accounts. it worked fine for me during the promotion last fall. i do make sure that i check the ff numbers at every transit point, however.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 10:52 am

It seems to be a lottery then because Guy Betsy's BA comment is definitely the case based on my experience during the last Oneworld promotion - of seven segments the boarding passes for which all had different FF program numbers printed on them at check-in, all except the transatlantic segment posted to my AAdvantage account which was the account I used for the first segment.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It seems that:

- If there is an AA number in the system it takes that first - and on AA it's had to get them to change it so I try and keep all my AA segments into my AA account. If you replace your AA number on an AA flight NOTHING prints on the boarding pass for the FF number

- BA certainly can swop numbers - last promotion I had a nice lady do three segments with three seperate numbers all printed on the boarding passes correctly - we joked about her being the former BA MD's wife - yes and she still did it!
Old Jul 6, 2000, 11:56 pm

Markie,

I have had the exact opposite experience. No problem getting AA to credit individual segments to multiple programmes, but no luck getting BA to do the same.

Not saying they cannot do it, but it seemed that if the change was done at the gate by BA that the change would print on the boarding pass but the original programme would still get credit.

Just a note, a Finnair agent in Turku was able to credit individual segments of my flight to JOE via HEL to seperate programmes w/o a problem.

rich

[This message has been edited by RichLond (edited 07-07-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.