Search

Oneworld lounge access at KLIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Oneworld lounge access at KLIA

I'm a AA EXP/Oneworld Emerald.

Despite having done this multiple times in the last couple of months, I was turned away at both the MH First class lounge and CX lounge at KLIA with a SIN-KUL-MYY flight. Agents at both lounges cited that since I was connecting to a domestic flight, I was only entitled to the MH domestic lounge.

I don't think there's anything explicit written about this. Trying to find a oneworld email/contact to seek clarification/escalation. Don't like agents making rules up...

Sigh..
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I'm a AA EXP/Oneworld Emerald.

Despite having done this multiple times in the last couple of months, I was turned away at both the MH First class lounge and CX lounge at KLIA with a SIN-KUL-MYY flight. Agents at both lounges cited that since I was connecting to a domestic flight, I was only entitled to the MH domestic lounge.

I don't think there's anything explicit written about this. Trying to find a oneworld email/contact to seek clarification/escalation. Don't like agents making rules up...

Sigh..
Found this on http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

"If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.
This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.
To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.
Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.
Arrivals lounges are excluded.
Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.
British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.
Other exceptions may apply (see below)."

In the (see below) area I found ..... exceptions for AA, QF, and TAM, but they obviously don't apply. Lounge dragons struck again
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
Since you were flying SIN-KUL-MYY, KUL-MYY is a domestic sector, you need to go through Malaysian immigration etc to take the flight.
When you were rejected from entering MH and CX lounges at KLIA, because you were trying to access the lounge as an arrival lounge after your SIN-KUL flight. Then you shall clear immigration to enter Malaysia at KUL. Based on your onward flight, which is KUL-MYY, a domestic flight, you should only be in the domestic terminal.

Because KUL, (and also SIN), international arrivals and departure passengers are not separated. Most ther airports such as BKK, HKG, NRT
have departing and arriving passengers on separate levels, so those cases would have no chance to go near the lounges.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mleung89
Since you were flying SIN-KUL-MYY, KUL-MYY is a domestic sector, you need to go through Malaysian immigration etc to take the flight.
When you were rejected from entering MH and CX lounges at KLIA, because you were trying to access the lounge as an arrival lounge after your SIN-KUL flight. Then you shall clear immigration to enter Malaysia at KUL. Based on your onward flight, which is KUL-MYY, a domestic flight, you should only be in the domestic terminal.

Because KUL, (and also SIN), international arrivals and departure passengers are not separated. Most ther airports such as BKK, HKG, NRT
have departing and arriving passengers on separate levels, so those cases would have no chance to go near the lounges.
Don't agree with this. There's no rules about not being able to be in the Satellite/International terminal on arrival from SIN. Yea, understand I need to clear immigration and head to the domestic terminal for my domestic flight but I don't have to do it right away.

Oneworld rules clearly state I have access to any oneworld First Class lounge as a Emerald except for a couple of exceptions - QR lounges, Concorde room, etc as long as I have a same day oneworld ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I believe the lounge dragons were technically in the wrong, but convincing them that this is the case may be more challenging. I always carry a copy of the oneworld access rules with me and am prepared to argue the case if need be.

Having said that, when I went through KLIA a couple of weeks ago I visited all the international oneworld lounges, starting with the Golden Lounge first class section - which was very nice, BUT the most terrible selection of wine. Well, I say selection - they had one red (I don't drink red) and one white, whcih was a muscadet. For those unfamiliar with it, imagine the driest wine you can possibly find, and that's it. Why they didn't choose a middle-of-the-spectrum wine is beyond me. Anyway, it was so dry it was virtually undrinkable, so I tried the business class lounge next door, where the choice was... muscadet. I tried the regional lounge, where the choice was... muscadet. Eventually I went to the CX lounge where they had a very palatable selection!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Honestly why go through all the bother ... I don''t need to pull a DYKWIA.

The domestic lounge is really quite nice. And less bothersome with the train immigration and security check etc.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

The domestic lounge is really quite nice. And less bothersome with the train immigration and security check etc.
Other than there is no alcohol served and the bathrooms aren't as nice.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Reply after filing an online complaint does suggest that I was incorrectly denied entry (bolding mine):

Thank you for your feedback written in our website in relation to your experience of denied entry to our International Golden Lounge due to flying with domestic flight. We apologize for not addressing your concerns in a timely manner and appreciate your patience in allowing us the time to revert to you on your concerns raised.

We regret to learn your inconvenience experiences due to deny from enter our Golden Lounge facilities. We agree that it certainly caused unpleasant journey as you were not able to enjoy the facilities. Our check revealed that you were directed to Domestic Lounge by our staff. That is normal practice for our team to suggest passenger the closest lounge to their departure gate. This is to avoid misconnecting and service breakages. For instance, if passenger arriving from an international sector, connecting onto domestic flight, we would suggest passenger to proceed to domestic lounge due to Custom, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) requirement. However, we will never insist on this, and we normally advice passenger to leave the lounge before boarding time as stated on passenger boarding pass for CIQ clearance.

Mr. calvinoeh we truly thank you for taking time to write to us your observations and how we can further improve our services. We thank you for your feedback and we assure you that we will continue in our earnest endeavor to improve and give our customers the service they expected and deserved.

Your patronage support and satisfaction are important to us. Once again we are truly sorry that you did not have the right experience with us.

We hope we have other opportunities to serve you better in your future flights.

Your sincerely
For Malaysia Airlines,
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Not really..the seating pattern is ideal for LARGE groups and families- as pointed out above- no beer no alcohol,always a long Q for decent food and very sad coffee and tea machines. Its a very average lounge IMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
We regret to learn your inconvenience experiences due to deny from enter our Golden Lounge facilities. We agree that it certainly caused unpleasant journey as you were not able to enjoy the facilities. Our check revealed that you were directed to Domestic Lounge by our staff. That is normal practice for our team to suggest passenger the closest lounge to their departure gate. This is to avoid misconnecting and service breakages. For instance, if passenger arriving from an international sector, connecting onto domestic flight, we would suggest passenger to proceed to domestic lounge due to Custom, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) requirement. However, we will never insist on this, and we normally advice passenger to leave the lounge before boarding time as stated on passenger boarding pass for CIQ clearance.
They have admitted that they didn't do it right. What they didn't say is whether they would educate people on the desk so they understand the rules. I'm hoping that they will do that!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:20 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Was travelling LHR-ADL via KUL on MH and was directed to the Domestic Lounge as strangely the Adelaide flight was departing from the domestic terminal.
The MH domestic lounge is very nice and has shower facilities for those arriving from a longhaul. Albeit a little smaller.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by linzbh
Was travelling LHR-ADL via KUL on MH and was directed to the Domestic Lounge as strangely the Adelaide flight was departing from the domestic terminal.
The MH domestic lounge is very nice and has shower facilities for those arriving from a longhaul. Albeit a little smaller.
I assume you mean the Regional Lounge (which is still an International lounge) just normally used for the shorter haul flights intra-Asia - this is in the same main pier (ie not the Satellite) as the Domestic gates, but still airside.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:32 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Does this mean its going to be a pain to get access to the international lounge? I have multiple stopovers eg: SIN-KUL-BKK-KUL-HKG, ect. Considering that I'm never gonna leave airside is there any chance that they'll let me in the international lounge?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Let me help with the lounges in KLIA.

In KLIA, there are 2 buildings.

Main Terminal Building:
This is where immigration, check-in and baggage claim is.
This is where domestic flights depart from
This is where regional flights, almost all flights operated by 737 depart from
The occasional wide-body long/medium haul flights depart here. I have seen flights to KIX, ICN, NRT, ADL, AMS, FRA depart from here before.
Mostly limited to Malaysian Airlines departures. Have seen Biman 77W here though.

Satellite Terminal Building:
This is linked by a train ride from the main terminal building

In the main terminal building there are 2 one world lounges:
MH Regional lounge
MH Domestic lounge (You can only access this from domestic departures, either from check-in straight to domestic departures, or if you are connecting, after you cleared immigration 1 floor below the main terminal building train station)

In the satellite terminal building, there are 2 one world lounges:
CX lounge
MH Satellite lounge

If you are travelling internationally, you will be advised by the lounge agent to use the lounge nearest your departure gate:
G/H gates = Regional Lounge
C gates = Satellite Lounge

Only the Satellite lounge has a first class section/platinum suite

Lounge hours:
The satellite lounge is open 24 hours.
The regional lounge is open from 5am to 12mn.
You need to be travelling internationally to access both lounges. So both are technically considered international lounges.

Difference in lounge quality:
There is no big difference between the satellite lounge and regional lounge other than the lounge physical size. I have found the food offerings to be exactly the same. I find the toilets/shower in the regional lounge nicer.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
Which one is the best lounge? I am travelling to Phuket from KL on Malaysian and was wondering if the CX lounge is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.