Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:45 pm

Hey guys, a few questions about the OneWorld distance based ticket. I thought there used to be a sticky about it. Am I missing it somewhere?

Anyway, my questions are:

1. For the distance based ticket, only some of the selected affiliate airlines are allowed, correct? I'm seeing that Etihad is not listed as being allowed on the distance-based ticket.

2. How is the mileage calculated? Will putting me itinerary in milecalc.com be spot on, give me a really estimation, or be way off?

3. One open jaw is allowed, correct? If so, I'm assuming only the mileage that I fly is counted, and the mileage between the two cities of the open jaw is not calculated in.

4. Do I have to fly more than one carrier? If so, is there a maximum I can fly?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by civico
Hey guys, a few questions about the OneWorld distance based ticket. I thought there used to be a sticky about it. Am I missing it somewhere?
Try
RTW segment based [*ONE*] http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...cket-faqs.html

From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...nce-links.html
RTW Global explorer [*GLOB*] distance based, with some non OW airlines
http://www.oneworld.com/flights/roun...obal-explorer/
There is very little interest on FT for Global explorer [*GLOB*] distance based
Star Alliance equivalent seem popular [more destinations / routes ?]

Also Circle tickets (eg circle pacific) on http://www.oneworld.com/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 15, 2012 at 12:49 am
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Hey guys, a few questions about the OneWorld distance based ticket.
I thought there used to be a sticky about it. Am I missing it somewhere?
There are a number of OW distance based tickets
  • Global Explorer is the round-the-world ticket
  • then there are a number of 'Circle' tickets that are also mileage based - OneWorld Circle, Circle Pacific, Circle Atlantic
The rules for each are available on the Oneworld website

1. For the distance based ticket, only some of the selected affiliate airlines are allowed, correct? I'm seeing that Etihad is not listed as being allowed on the distance-based ticket.
Depends on the ticket
The Global Explorer has all the Oneworld airlines plus - Aer Lingus, Air Pacific, Alaska Airlines and its affiliate Horizon Air, Gulf Air, Malaysian and Meridiana, plus Qantas code-share flights operated by Air Tahiti Nui, Jetstar, South African Airways and Vietnam Airlines.
2. How is the mileage calculated? Will putting me itinerary in milecalc.com be spot on, give me a really estimation, or be way off?
I expect milecalc.com will give a decent estimation of the the miles in an itinerary
3. One open jaw is allowed, correct? If so, I'm assuming only the mileage that I fly is counted, and the mileage between the two cities of the open jaw is not calculated in.
Incorrect on both counts
Generally, any number of open-jaws are allowed
And their mileages MUST be included in the overall total
I don't think there is rule that requires more than one airline
but I expect it would be impossible to construct an itinerary using only one airline
maximum number of flight segments is 16, so maximum number of airlines = 16
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:53 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

I should have been more clear. I am looking to book this ticket using award miles, meaning I won't be booking the explorer or the circle tickets. I'm looking to use the OneWorld Airlines Award Chart found Herehttp://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

I think the explorer and the circle tickets on OneWorld are paid tickets, correct?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:59 am

I should have been more clear. I am looking to book this ticket using award miles, meaning I won't be booking the explorer or the circle tickets. I'm looking to use the OneWorld Airlines Award Chart found Herehttp://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

I think the explorer and the circle tickets on OneWorld are paid tickets, correct?

Guys, sorry again. I found the thread I had looked at before, it was in the American Airlines section as a sticky, not the OneWorld section. It answers my questions, so there is no need to reply to this message.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Is it possible to transfer status from one airline to another? I've got AA Gold at the moment, but I am planning on a move to the UK next year and will probably be better off on BA / avios. Is that possible or no? Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by srs507
Is it possible to transfer status from one airline to another? I've got AA Gold at the moment, but I am planning on a move to the UK next year and will probably be better off on BA / avios. Is that possible or no? Thanks!
The short answer is no.

Some airlines, AFAIK, BA is not one of them will match status, but often only when you switch alliances.

In your particular case, staying with AA might be the better move since the BA status is based on tier points, to get 300 tier points (BA Bronze = AA Gold) you will need to fly 9 times LHR-DFW or DFW-DFW (each trip is 35 TP in Economy). On AA you can earn gold in just over 5 such segments (you will be less than 1,300 short after 5 segments), after 9 segments you will have almost 43K EQM and Plt is not out of reach.

If you are going to have many short distance European flights or if you fly using higher fares, BA might be better for you. So you really need to try and figure your flying patten and fare classes before making the switch.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: United, AA, Delta, Frontier
Beginner Questions

Hi all,

Just getting into mileage running and was curious what is the best method for finding the best rates? Do you use one of the online search engines like Orbitz or something else for planning ? It seems the best I can do is around 8 cpm. How do they get 2-3 cpm???

I'm planning a trip to Brazil in December and I have enough miles now to use for 2 tickets but is it wise to use your miles to buy the tickets or do I give up perks if I use my miles for the tickets?

Any recommended websites other than FT to that people use to plan, find, best deals?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:00 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by coachmj
Hi all,

Just getting into mileage running and was curious what is the best method for finding the best rates? Do you use one of the online search engines like Orbitz or something else for planning ? It seems the best I can do is around 8 cpm. How do they get 2-3 cpm???

I'm planning a trip to Brazil in December and I have enough miles now to use for 2 tickets but is it wise to use your miles to buy the tickets or do I give up perks if I use my miles for the tickets?

Any recommended websites other than FT to that people use to plan, find, best deals?

Thanks!
Welcome to FT, coachmj!

A good starting point is to check the Mileage Run forum here on FT. Frequently you will hear about good deals there. I assume that you are with AA, correct? So the AA forum is another good place for you. Finding good mileage runs depends on the frequent flyer program you have so things which are good for me as a Qantas Frequent Flyer might not be good for you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Code-share lounge access

I am a oneworld Emerald member, who will soon be flying on QF375 to Port Villa. This is a code share, operated by Air Vanuatu. At the time of booking, the oneworld website clearly stated that Emerald card holders could "access any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed or operated by any oneworld member airline, no matter in which cabin class they are flying."

The website has since been updated, and the OR has been replaced by AND.

Does anyone know when this change was made?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer

Does anyone know when this change was made?
I am not certain; perhaps with the last week/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:46 pm

Sorry, as I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I can't find the answer easily. Are ONE3 tickets considered to book into full fare or discount economy? So far as I can tell, they book into Y, so they should earn 1.0EQM/1.5 EQP for AA elite qualification. Is this correct?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bttc
Sorry, as I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I can't find the answer easily. Are ONE3 tickets considered to book into full fare or discount economy? So far as I can tell, they book into Y, so they should earn 1.0EQM/1.5 EQP for AA elite qualification. Is this correct?
The economy tickets (AKA LONEx) go into the "L" bucket which earn 1 EQP/EQM.

Correction: as noted by DownUnderFlyer below, "L" fares on some OW partners might earn less than 1 EQP/EQM on AA, specifically RJ is 0.5 and CX is 0. As suggested, you will need to check the AA earning chart for the specific airline whose flight number you are using.

Last edited by Sagy; Feb 29, 2012 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sagy
...and I now understand why it is referred to as LONE. Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Sagy
Correct on most airlines but not on all. Bttc, check the AA earning charts as RJ for example is .5, CX is 0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.