Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:34 am

help with xONEx itinerary and price

We are in London, but hubby would like to come back to Australia for a visit over the Christmas / New Year period. He is talking of a round the world ticket with one world (via the US and Asia) - tentatively LHR - DFW - LAX - SYD - MEL - BNE - SYD (not sure about this as we may exceed the 2 stopovers per continent and we are not allowed to back track?) - SIN - LHR. Basically, we want to stop in DFW, LAX, SYD, MEL and BNE.

My questions:

1. How much does it cost for Y, Y+ and J for this type of xONEx itinerary? Where do I find out these prices?

2. I have read that originating from LHR is expensive. So, will it be cheaper originating from other places (not Khartom )?

3. Please suggest an allowable itinerary.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Teetering Steps

As a relative newbie to all things beautiful, I have a wee question please.

I have SPG points which I'd like to transfer to AA and then on to HHPoints. If I transfer 80000 SPGs - which would attract a 20000 bonus - would this get me any One World status?

Thanks in advance for being gentle!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Madge Ishen
As a relative newbie to all things beautiful, I have a wee question please.

I have SPG points which I'd like to transfer to AA and then on to HHPoints. If I transfer 80000 SPGs - which would attract a 20000 bonus - would this get me any One World status?

Thanks in advance for being gentle!
No. Redeemable miles/points such as those earned by transfers are not elite qualifying (status earning) miles/points. See this page for how to qualify for status on AA:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Originally Posted by pandaperth
The OP is considering a DONEx - which has no restriction on multiple stopovers at the same point
Oooh - is this really the case? I have no problems as the outlaws live in France so could start and finish in TLS and make the most of the European bit as well ^
Yes, this really is the case
Just be aware that there is a rule that only allows two stopovers in the continent of origin

So an itinerary such as what I think your are suggesting - TLS-oLHR-oDOH-oLHR-HKG-SGN-HKG-BNE-MEL-SYD-LAX-NYC-xLHR-TLS is not allowed, because of the two stopovers in continent of origin rule (o=stopover; x=transit). But if the first or the second pass through London is a transit then it will be OK - in other words if you tag the trip to Doha onto the Toulouse trip or onto the RTW trip (but in this case there will be other, perhaps better, ways to do it than returning to London after Doha)

Notes:
  • the above itinerary has 13 segments; you are allowed up to 16 (more stops in Asia? KTM, MNL? or perhaps the Caribbean?)
  • you have two departures from the UK - each will incur the UK's robber tax - the APD (Air Passenger Duty)) (the final departure - back to TLS does not incur APD because it is only a transit through the UK)

FYI - the full rules of the ticket can be viewed on the Oneworld web site - see here

Last edited by pandaperth; Apr 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm Reason: Realised I've got it WRONG!!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:24 pm

OOPS - sorry, I made a fundamental mistake in my post above
Only TWO stopovers in continent of origin means having two in LHR and one in DOH is not allowed
(as Homer would say 'doh!')
Making corrections to my post now
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:27 pm

Round-the-world packages

Hi, I've been reading about RTW packages. I am very confused overall.

star allience too worked out well. I tested almost same routes, and the fare came out as below:
$5152: 9206-ac42-2ecd-d848
$6723: ae92-42cc-bcc7-3ae9
the Oneworld tool was very difficult to use. I tried to plan a similar route, but it kept giving me an error of flight data missing and "surface segment."

Currently, I'm just trying to get a feel of the prices. Is there a comprehensive guide on RTW tickets?

Also, how do I use this site?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:09 pm

Round-the-world packages

Hi, I've been reading about RTW packages. I am very confused overall.

star allience too worked out well. I tested almost same routes, and the fare came out as below:
$5152: 9206-ac42-2ecd-d848
$6723: ae92-42cc-bcc7-3ae9
the Oneworld tool was very difficult to use. I tried to plan a similar route, but it kept giving me an error of flight data missing and "surface segment."

Currently, I'm just trying to get a feel of the prices. Is there a comprehensive guide on RTW tickets?

Also, how do I use this site?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax
We are in London, but hubby would like to come back to Australia for a visit over the Christmas / New Year period. He is talking of a round the world ticket with one world (via the US and Asia) - tentatively LHR - DFW - LAX - SYD - MEL - BNE - SYD (not sure about this as we may exceed the 2 stopovers per continent and we are not allowed to back track?) - SIN - LHR. Basically, we want to stop in DFW, LAX, SYD, MEL and BNE.

My questions:

1. How much does it cost for Y, Y+ and J for this type of xONEx itinerary? Where do I find out these prices?

2. I have read that originating from LHR is expensive. So, will it be cheaper originating from other places (not Khartom )?

3. Please suggest an allowable itinerary.

Thanks in advance.
1 How much does it cost for Y, Y+ and J for this type of xONEx itinerary? Where do I find out these prices?
Finding the costs is a little difficult these days. For a short time they were available on the Oneworld web site, but then they disappeared. This link might still work though (scroll to the bottom of the pdf document) - http://www.oneworld.com/oneworld/......_1Mar12(1).pdf

Since they date from March’12 they should still be current

To those base fares must be added the government charges (based on where you fly to/from on your itinerary) and the fuel surcharges (based primarily on which airline issues the ticket)

There is no published Y+ fare – but what you can do is purchase a Y ticket and then pay to upgrade to Y+ on those segments of your itinerary that have it – see the upgrade charges in the fare rules (rule 12): http://www.oneworld.com/content/libr...2012%20web.pdf
2 I have read that originating from LHR is expensive. So, will it be cheaper originating from other places (not Khartom )?
Again, look at the pdf document referred to above; UK prices for Y fares are not bad, but J fares are expensive compared to some other origins (KRT especially)
3 Please suggest an allowable itinerary.
Your itinerary is allowable LHR-DFW-LAX-SYD-MEL-BNE-SYD-SIN-LHR
You can backtrack within a continent – so SYD-MEL-BNE-SYD is allowed

You are allowed only two stopovers in your continent of origin, but there are no stopover restrictions in other continents (there are however restrictions on flight segments – see the rules)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by A1pax
From the other thread - this is a useful site ^

Originally Posted by serfty
Thanks to a motivated FTer there is a site with up to date fares available:

http://www.wandr.me/RTW_Fares.aspx/

More here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-options.html
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Yes, this really is the case
Just be aware that there is a rule that only allows two stopovers in the continent of origin

So an itinerary such as what I think your are suggesting - TLS-oLHR-oDOH-oLHR-HKG-SGN-HKG-BNE-MEL-SYD-LAX-NYC-xLHR-TLS is not allowed, because of the two stopovers in continent of origin rule (o=stopover; x=transit). But if the first or the second pass through London is a transit then it will be OK - in other words if you tag the trip to Doha onto the Toulouse trip or onto the RTW trip (but in this case there will be other, perhaps better, ways to do it than returning to London after Doha)

Notes:
  • the above itinerary has 13 segments; you are allowed up to 16 (more stops in Asia? KTM, MNL? or perhaps the Caribbean?)
  • you have two departures from the UK - each will incur the UK's robber tax - the APD (Air Passenger Duty)) (the final departure - back to TLS does not incur APD because it is only a transit through the UK)

FYI - the full rules of the ticket can be viewed on the Oneworld web site - see here
Would the itinerary be allowed on a DGLOB34?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Would the itinerary be allowed on a DGLOB34?
Found the answer - No!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:19 pm

Not sure if this counts

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No. Redeemable miles/points such as those earned by transfers are not elite qualifying (status earning) miles/points. See this page for how to qualify for status on AA:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp
Many thanks for your reply. I've found this page:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp

which is causing the confusion!

Ever hopeful. @:-)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Madge Ishen
Many thanks for your reply. I've found this page:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp

which is causing the confusion!

Ever hopeful. @:-)

Ahhhh....

See the link titled "Read More" just above the 100,000 miles part?

Follow it and you will read:

Elite-Status Qualifying Miles or Segments
Qualifying miles or segments are the actual miles or segments you earn on eligible purchased tickets for flights aboard American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection carrier, oneworld member airlines and their affiliates, Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air), and/or American Airlines marketed codeshare flights (ticket must reflect an American Airlines coded flight number), including applicable minimum mileage guarantees.
I guess that's the fine print....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Ahhhh....

See the link titled "Read More" just above the 100,000 miles part?

Follow it and you will read:

I guess that's the fine print....
Grrr ... many thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:06 pm

Routing via 5 continents with less/exactly 26000 miles?

Hi,

is there a routing through 5 continents which would be valid for an xglob26? The idea is to go through 5 continents with the cheapest round-the-world-ticket and then sidetrack extensively on separate tickets.

I come out at 26176 with the routing LHR-MIA-SCL-SYD-HKG-LHR.

Thanx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.