Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:00 am

Thank you @Mwenenzi @anabolism and @pandaperth. I will take another shot at maximizing my trip. My planning was pretty conservative as I was scared of over planning and not enjoying the journey. I guess I could spread it to be over a year (instead of 6 months) maximizing the segments, enjoying the trip and not chase status.

I did not know Expert Flyer had RTW fare information. Thank you for pointing me to it. It makes sense to shell out 100 bucks when the savings are over 2k.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by sshankar
Thank you @Mwenenzi @anabolism and @pandaperth. I will take another shot at maximizing my trip. My planning was pretty conservative as I was scared of over planning and not enjoying the journey. I guess I could spread it to be over a year (instead of 6 months) maximizing the segments, enjoying the trip and not chase status.

I did not know Expert Flyer had RTW fare information. Thank you for pointing me to it. It makes sense to shell out 100 bucks when the savings are over 2k.
You're welcome sshankar

With Experflyer you already know how to save the money . Also it will give you a 5-day free trial
For me, mileage earning and status are always secondary to going where I want when I want. On a business class RTW there is little benefit to having status - slightly higher earning of award miles is about all.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pandaperth
You're welcome sshankar

With Experflyer you already know how to save the money . Also it will give you a 5-day free trial
For me, mileage earning and status are always secondary to going where I want when I want. On a business class RTW there is little benefit to having status - slightly higher earning of award miles is about all.
If you earn EXP, you have access to first class lounges worldwide, including Qantas First Class Lounge in SYD and MEL, CX First Class Lounges in HKG and LHR.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
RTW refund

I have a LONE3 booked starting in June. It incorporated my travel for the now cancelled Euro 2020.

A message has dropped into my email. My first flight has been substantially retimed. Can I now cancel the whole tkt without penalty?

Time change for leg 1/16
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by wyddfa
I have a LONE3 booked starting in June. It incorporated my travel for the now cancelled Euro 2020.

A message has dropped into my email. My first flight has been substantially retimed. Can I now cancel the whole tkt without penalty?

Time change for leg 1/16
It may depend on which airline issued the ticket. I would expect them to permit cancellation with full refund (no penalty). You also have the option to change dates and times on all flights, including the first one.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
It may depend on which airline issued the ticket. I would expect them to permit cancellation with full refund (no penalty). You also have the option to change dates and times on all flights, including the first one.

Ticketed on BA with the TPs going to my BAEC. First 15 flights on other carriers but BA have the final leg JFK LHR. Leaving BA alone for now as others’ needs more pressing.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
There's a relevant thread over on the corona virus forum - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...d-options.html
The main takeaway is to wait for your flight to be cancelled, then you are entitled to a full refund

BA also has a page on the virus - https://www.britishairways.com/en-ke...clickpage=HOME

My guess is that you will have little to no trouble getting a refund, especially if your first flight is cancelled (and many more of your 16 flights may also be cancelled of course)
But at the end of the day, the cancellation fee on a RTW ticket is quite low - 10% of the base fare for economy tickets, so £180 to cancel your LONE3
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
There's a relevant thread over on the corona virus forum - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...d-options.html
The main takeaway is to wait for your flight to be cancelled, then you are entitled to a full refund

BA also has a page on the virus - https://www.britishairways.com/en-ke...clickpage=HOME

My guess is that you will have little to no trouble getting a refund, especially if your first flight is cancelled (and many more of your 16 flights may also be cancelled of course)
But at the end of the day, the cancellation fee on a RTW ticket is quite low - 10% of the base fare for economy tickets, so £180 to cancel your LONE3
My experience has been that airlines tend to offer full cancellation without penalty (or flight/route changes) when a flight has a significant schedule change. In xONEx tickets, the first flight is usually special, so the significant schedule change in the poster's first flight is why I suggested that I would expect BA to offer a full refund. Obviously, if the flight is cancelled, that makes it certain, but I would expect the significant schedule change to be sufficient. That said, I haven't personally had this situation with BA.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
I am new to OW Sapphire. I was just wondering whether it is possible to use partner airlines points to upgrade on another partner airline?

Planning to book SYD-KUL-MNL on Economy Flex (H) via MH. Miles will be credited to QR but wondering whether I can possibly upgrade one of the legs to Business using QF points.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scrappydog
I am new to OW Sapphire. I was just wondering whether it is possible to use partner airlines points to upgrade on another partner airline?

Planning to book SYD-KUL-MNL on Economy Flex (H) via MH. Miles will be credited to QR but wondering whether I can possibly upgrade one of the legs to Business using QF points.
Nope.
In OW only AA/BA/IB have a cross airline upgrade system. But has onerous t&c's so useless for most AA/BA/IB freq flyers
Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Nope.
In OW only AA/BA/IB have a cross airline upgrade system. But has onerous t&c's so useless for most AA/BA/IB freq flyers
I think you can actually use CX asia miles to upgrade non CX flights

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...sia-miles.html
Upgrade with asia miles

but it is a rare exception. For the OP's situation I agree I haven't seen anything to suggest you can do it.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you can actually use CX asia miles to upgrade non CX flights

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...sia-miles.html
Upgrade with asia miles

but it is a rare exception. For the OP's situation I agree I haven't seen anything to suggest you can do it.
It used to be possible to use CX AM to upgrade AA and BA flights, but not anymore. It was cut 2 years ago.
Mwenenzi and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
OW question on iberia

Hello! I am looking to book 4 tickets MAD-BCN on Iberia's website (iberia metal) (AA won't let me do this on their website, not sure why).

Question - if I book all four of us on one record locator, do we all get my OW sapphire benefits? specifically, the free checked bag and ability to choose a seat?

thanks
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by envgeo
Hello! I am looking to book 4 tickets MAD-BCN on Iberia's website (iberia metal) (AA won't let me do this on their website, not sure why).

Question - if I book all four of us on one record locator, do we all get my OW sapphire benefits? specifically, the free checked bag and ability to choose a seat?
You would not be able to book a standalone IB flight on AA. Would need to be a tag on flight to an AA flight

A lot depends on the type of ticket you buy. Be careful. Do not make assumptions.
For basic economy tickets IB BA & AA all have different t&c's and status benefits. BA forum has thread on these.
The OW sapphire "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" means different things to different airlines
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-bene...world-priority

MAD-BCN is not far. The fast train is viable option, without the hassle of airports at each end. Time to travel to/from airport, waiting, security and more. And better seats.
Route---> Great Circle Mapper
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Thanks - will check out the link.

Already going to be at the Madrid Airport (flying in from DFW on a web special) so was planning to buy the ticket to BCN. On Iberia website, the flights are 40euros for the basic and 55euros to have a ticket that permits choosing a seat and checking a bag. for 15 euros, I won't take the risk.

Last edited by envgeo; Oct 23, 2020 at 7:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.