Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

After reading several airline coronavirus policies, I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes cancelled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. Don't fall for it, the airlines are trying to get customers to cancel first, which would disqualify from a refund.

Don't cancel, let the airline cancel the flights, then you can demand a refund. With the current coronavirus crisis, most flights will be cancelled or incur significant schedule changes that qualify for a full refund.
Fims, arollins, elc2414 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 18, 2020 at 5:33 pm Reason: Restored original title
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
After reading several airline coronavirus policies, I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes cancelled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. Don't fall for it, the airlines are trying to get customers to cancel first, which would disqualify from a refund.

Don't cancel, let the airline cancel the flights, then you can demand a refund. With the current coronavirus crisis, most flights will be cancelled or incur significant schedule changes that qualify for a full refund.
This is what I've been curious about. We have a trip to LHR on May 3rd on AA, and so far it has only been rescheduled (with an 8.5 hour connection!). I read on AA's website that there will only be one flight daily to LHR through May 6th, and it's not the flight we are scheduled on. Just waiting for THEM to cancel our flight now.....
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:17 am

Yeah, curious how this will work in practice. I have a R/T pair of flights scheduled for Canada later this week. Looks that the border will be closed soon - and thus presumably flights canceled, but it's been a bit of a game of chicken; my curiosity is at what point they would cancel.

Would they potentially wait until past the check-in cutoff to cancel in order to put the onus on the flyers (no-shows), preventing refunds?
FlyerDigits and hoipolloi like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yeah, we had our TK flights to the US from the EU. Booked on March 2, then Trump's ban came but the flights weren't cancelled - however we were offered rebooking option which we didn't want (even now I can't set any date in 2020 that I think it's possible to go). Anyway my strategy is like OP, wait it out. We waited and then EU ban flights, that did the trigger and my flights were cancelled. Now we are waiting for our second refund (still waiting for my OTA CA refund).

So wait if you are looking for a refund.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
This may be of use to those of you flying on EU carriers or ex-EU. The EU released today interpretative guidelines for EU261 Regulation (ensuring refunds for passengers for cancelled flights) for airlines and passengers in the case of flight cancellations. It's mostly good from the passenger perspective. One thing to be aware of though if you go for rebooking at a later date than proposed by the airline, is that the airline then has no duty of care beyond rebooking you on that later date - so won't cover hotels, for example. However, if airline puts you on next flight but that involves an overnight, then duty of care is required.

For cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket cost, and the airline cannot only offer you a voucher. It must offer a full refund. The full details are here - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites.../c20201830.pdf
dahguy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Yeah may need to play the waiting game also. Scheduled to fly to STT for a BVI sailing trip in April with a group of friends. BVI has closed to tourists from high risk areas and since we are all in the California counties specifically listed in the ban. We will reschedule but need to avoid hurricane season so looking at early 2021. AA states rescheduling must be before 12/31/20 so not sure if that means we would lose the entire value of any travel credit.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ChrisBub
This may be of use to those of you flying on EU carriers or ex-EU. The EU released today interpretative guidelines for EU261 Regulation (ensuring refunds for passengers for cancelled flights) for airlines and passengers in the case of flight cancellations. It's mostly good from the passenger perspective. One thing to be aware of though if you go for rebooking at a later date than proposed by the airline, is that the airline then has no duty of care beyond rebooking you on that later date - so won't cover hotels, for example. However, if airline puts you on next flight but that involves an overnight, then duty of care is required.

For cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket cost, and the airline cannot only offer you a voucher. It must offer a full refund. The full details are here - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites.../c20201830.pdf
I don't see the Guidance as providing anything beyond the common understanding on this point. E.g., if there is a cancellation, one is entitled to a refund if that is what one wishes. But, if the flight operates and one chooses to take advantage of a waiver or other concession made by the carrier, it is on the terms offered by the carrier, e.g. a voucher.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:18 pm

This is exactly what I am doing, waiting out the airlines.

When this began I had 8 non refundable tickets across AA, UA, LX, TK, KL and U2.

At the beginning none of the airlines would give a refund, only vouchers. Now a couple of weeks later I have recovered about $3000 as airlines cancel flights and adjust their schedules.

Still waiting for KL to make changes to my IST-AMS-ARN itinerary for 4/9. That is the only one remaining.
GUWonder and hoipolloi like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by elc2414
This is what I've been curious about. We have a trip to LHR on May 3rd on AA, and so far it has only been rescheduled (with an 8.5 hour connection!). I read on AA's website that there will only be one flight daily to LHR through May 6th, and it's not the flight we are scheduled on. Just waiting for THEM to cancel our flight now.....
Assuming the new extended connection of 8.5 hours creates a new departure and/or arrival time of that connecting flight that is more than 3 hours difference from the original itinerary, wouldn't you be entitled to a full refund? One could claim this creates a "trip in vain". I recently did so with a trip that contained two separate one way tickets and each ticket was moved from the original schedule by more than the 3 hours. I had no problems with a full refund for each ticket to my original form of payment. I never acknowledged or accepted the emails in the weeks leading up to the trip regarding the schedule change. I am writing this suggestion assuming you have not done so either. I learned from other FT forums not to accept or acknowledge these changes in the event I felt I would want or need to cancel. The airline even called me a few days out to confirm I was aware of the schedule changes. I responded that I appreciated the call and would review my emails from them and take notice of any changes and determine how it would effect my plans. The CS rep had no problem with that.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:46 pm

What about Qatar? I have bus. seats from South africa, cpt/doh/iad for May 5. South africa has announced that americans can not enter the country. Should I wait for them to cancel?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
In my case, with Aeromexico, even having the airline cancel the flight (twice!) I still can't get them to agree to a refund. They just keep rebooking me to different days without my assent.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmj9905
What about Qatar? I have bus. seats from South africa, cpt/doh/iad for May 5. South africa has announced that americans can not enter the country. Should I wait for them to cancel?
You should be able to get vouchers for future use from QR. You case is tricky because as long as QR is flying then you have right to a full refund.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I am waiting as well to see what is next. I have a domestic trip second week of May, and the rate has dropped by almost $200.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:48 pm

Nacho thanks for the quick response but I am confused. Why would I take a voucher if I can get a full refund?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Nacho thanks for the quick response but I am confused. Why would I take a voucher if I can get a full refund?
The problem is that as long as the scheduled flights are flying as usual, you will not be entitled to refund (it doesn't matter who ban who from coming in).

As you are not flying until May 5, you need to wait as long as possible, and request a refund as soon as any segment of your flight is cancelled.
FlitBen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.