Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I haven't checked that specific route, but by all reports Cathay is making more flights available to BA Avios than it is to its own FF programme, so if I were you I'd look at flying CX using your Avios.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Chris Hawkins
I am a BA Avios hound and am currently on the hunt for reward seats to Adelaide as family have recently moved out there. From my initial searches, BA looks a nightmare for seats on this route. So my question is do you think this route is achievable on BA or do I switch loyalty to another airline.
Hi Chris, welcome to FT!

With BA Avios, you can book award flights to Adelaide on BA and QF nonstop to Australia and then connect on QF to get to ADL. Or BA, QF, IB, AY, CX and QR with connections elsewhere. Potentially also BA, AA, IB, or AY to the U.S. and then QF or AA from there. You can search all of these on the BA web site, although for best results you should search flight by flight rather than end to end. You can also get an ExpertFlyer subscription and search for and set alerts for award space on QF and AA. The QF web site can also be used for award searches, which gives you a month at a time view.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chris Hawkins Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Chris Hawkins
I have been doing the points thing for a fair few years on my own and have only just discovered how huge the community is online! So hello ^
I am a BA Avios hound and am currently on the hunt for reward seats to Adelaide as family have recently moved out there. From my initial searches, BA looks a nightmare for seats on this route. So my question is do you think this route is achievable on BA or do I switch loyalty to another airline.
What class of travel and how many seats?
When do you want to travel?
Awards start to become available 355/330 days out depending on the airline.

As posts above many options. As BA fly LHR-SIN-SYD BAEC may preference awards on own aircraft to SYD and then QF SYD-ADL.

Air Sydney (sometimes know as Qantas) does not support international flights from ADL. They steer you via SYD and maybe MEL or perhaps PER. (QF10 flys LHR-PER-MEL). QF IT favours flights to SYD and then Au domestic flights by a big margin. Even when other better options are possible.

But Oneworld airlines Qatar QR, Cathay Pacific CX & Malaysia Airlines MH do fly to ADL. You can use BA avios for awards on those airlines subject to availability. You do not need to depart only from LHR. Other UK airports are possible. QR fly from Cardiff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Airport
Routes http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CWL-DOH...L&MS=wls&DU=mi

BA forum--->Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

I would not be changing to a different ffp. Long haul awards can be hard with any airline/frequent flyer program.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 15, 2019 at 3:14 pm Reason: added routes
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:36 am

No access

Originally Posted by PAXXY
Hi!

I am still confused what lounges I will be allowed to enter with my oneworld Sapphire status. I will be arriving HKG at around 1 am and according to oneworld.com the only lounge that is open during that time of the day is the „Plaza Premium“.

Am I allowed to enter the Plaza Premium leaving on a Cathay Economy Ticket with OW Sapphire?

Thanks for your help

Pax xy
According to OW Plaza Premium in HKG is only when flying certain OW Airlines. So on a Cathay Ticket I was denied access to Plaza Premium and Bauhina Lounge as expected.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by PAXXY

According to OW Plaza Premium in HKG is only when flying certain OW Airlines. So on a Cathay Ticket I was denied access to Plaza Premium and Bauhina Lounge as expected.
Right, you are only allowed to "cross-access" lounges operated by oneworld airlines, not third-party ones. In the case of HKG, that would be any of the CX lounges plus the QF lounge.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan
Lounge access

I have purchased for cash first class YVR / SFO/ KOA on United P class. As this is international flight would I get any lounge access
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lounge access

Originally Posted by LoggerOne
I have purchased for cash first class YVR / SFO/ KOA on United P class. As this is international flight would I get any lounge access
You are asking a question in the Oneworld forum.
United is Star Alliance. Anyway better to ask in the United forum. Guessing all the flights are on UA aircraft/UA flight numbers
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...leageplus-681/
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:51 pm

Paying the annual fee of one rewards card with another

Hello Flyertalk community!

I will be doing a lot of traveling in Mexico over the next two years, so I signed up for three separate rewards cards issued by the airline I will be using (AeroMexico Visa), my preferred hotel chain (Hilton Honors Amex) and a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. The annual fee of the Chase card is $450. I'm sure this is not a new question, but I couldn't find an answer searching the forums here or on Google. Can I use the Hilton Honors card to pay the annual fee of the Chase card? If so, will it count for points? Or is this just too obvious and the credit card companies already have it locked down?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SoydeSD
Hello Flyertalk community!

I will be doing a lot of traveling in Mexico over the next two years, so I signed up for three separate rewards cards issued by the airline I will be using (AeroMexico Visa), my preferred hotel chain (Hilton Honors Amex) and a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. The annual fee of the Chase card is $450. I'm sure this is not a new question, but I couldn't find an answer searching the forums here or on Google. Can I use the Hilton Honors card to pay the annual fee of the Chase card? If so, will it count for points? Or is this just too obvious and the credit card companies already have it locked down?
welcome to flyertalk

generally credit card companies don’t allow payment to be made from another credit card.
SoydeSD likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:08 pm

That's what I figured. Thanks for the quick reply
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA,BA, Finnair
OneWolrd

Hi All - I think answer is yes but please can I check something with you.

I am a BA Silver, OneWorld Sapphire. I am travelling on a short haul American Airlines award ticket (booked on my AA account) this coming weekend and I would like to check 2 bags.

Although the ticket is not linked to my BA account - am I still able to check these 2 bags for free? I would just need to flash my BA silver membership at the desk?

Regards
Rob
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Robert1831

I am a BA Silver, OneWorld Sapphire. I am travelling on a short haul American Airlines award ticket (booked on my AA account) this coming weekend and I would like to check 2 bags.

Although the ticket is not linked to my BA account - am I still able to check these 2 bags for free? I would just need to flash my BA silver membership at the desk?

Regards
Rob
Watching for replies with interest. I have a similar situation with my airline rewards card.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Robert1831

I would guess that this would be a situation where some individual check-in agents might accept your BA card as evidence that you are entitled to the free checked bags benefit, but I doubt you could count on it. I don't have personal experience in this, so I could be wrong, but in general AA doesn't recognize status that isn't shown on the BP. I would see if the aa.com web site or a phone agent would put your BA number into the record, which would then reflect your status. Failing that, at check-in first ask the agent to add your BA number, and then ask to check your bags.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:10 am

How soon can I start paying on my rewards cards and still preserve the rewards bonus?

I know this is probably a common and obvious question, but I must be searching this thread incorrectly because I can't seem to find a definite answer. How soon can I start paying on my rewards cards and still preserve the rewards bonus? I just received my three new rewards cards in April and I am on track to spend $6000 over three months to unlock a total of 190,000 rewards points between the 3. I'm keeping an eye on my balances and ensuring that they're not outpacing my available bank funds, but so far none of the three cards has defined my first due date. Can I pay off the payments that have posted and still preserve my rewards? My thinking is yes, but I also know that assumption is the mother of all costly mistakes
Old May 5, 2019, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SoydeSD
I know this is probably a common and obvious question, but I must be searching this thread incorrectly because I can't seem to find a definite answer. How soon can I start paying on my rewards cards and still preserve the rewards bonus? I just received my three new rewards cards in April and I am on track to spend $6000 over three months to unlock a total of 190,000 rewards points between the 3. I'm keeping an eye on my balances and ensuring that they're not outpacing my available bank funds, but so far none of the three cards has defined my first due date. Can I pay off the payments that have posted and still preserve my rewards? My thinking is yes, but I also know that assumption is the mother of all costly mistakes
i am not clear why you would want to pay money to your credit cards before a bill has been issued?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.