Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
In SIN with the QF lounge, arriving in the evening in transit and with the first MH flight out the next morning. I guess it doesn't harm to try, but was just wondering if there were clear rules on this or if anyone has anecdotal evidence.

Was planning to just sit around/nap at a Priority Pass lounge anyway (since either way, the QF lounge closes at night and I don't feel the transit hotels are worth the money for just those few hours).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wuileng
.....Specifically, if I was flying on a oneworld flight at 9 am the following morning, and I am arriving at that airport 9 pm the night before,....
......I don't feel the transit hotels are worth the money for just those few hours)......
The airside transit hotels are set up just for situations like yours. Flying in at 21:00 and flying out at 09:00
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...it-hotels.html
SG $100 = US$74
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The airside transit hotels are set up just for situations like yours. Flying in at 21:00 and flying out at 09:00
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...it-hotels.html
SG $100 = US$74
Had a quick look at Booking.com yesterday and it was showing the YOTELAir for $160 and the Aerotel at $130 for just 6 hours!

Though I just played around directly on the Aerotel site and found a 6 hour slot for under $70 so that's a lot more reasonable.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a quick look at Booking.com yesterday and it was showing the YOTELAir for $160 and the Aerotel at $130 for just 6 hours!

Though I just played around directly on the Aerotel site and found a 6 hour slot for under $70 so that's a lot more reasonable.
Did you use the links in https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...it-hotels.html ??
Check each terminal 1 & 2/3 & JetQuay CIP Terminal. My limited understanding is that was its easy to move between terminlas
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Sorry for the noob questions.

Let's assume I have DONE4 itinerary that begins in AMM with an RJ flight.

a) Does it matter which airline office I book the ticket through to get the best price and service? I am UK based but I could use any oneworld airline to ticket it. Are some better at these complex task, or cheaper?

b) Subsequent to the initial booking I will need to make changes, not least to shift out the latter flights that are placeholders due to d-12 month availability. Who do I call or email to make the changes? The airline that I booked it through, or the airline operating the particular flight?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smudge
Sorry for the noob questions.

Let's assume I have DONE4 itinerary that begins in AMM with an RJ flight.

a) Does it matter which airline office I book the ticket through to get the best price and service? I am UK based but I could use any oneworld airline to ticket it. Are some better at these complex task, or cheaper?

b) Subsequent to the initial booking I will need to make changes, not least to shift out the latter flights that are placeholders due to d-12 month availability. Who do I call or email to make the changes? The airline that I booked it through, or the airline operating the particular flight?

Thanks in advance
Questions for dedicated *ONE* threads
The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...iences-24.html
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:46 pm

Hi all,
I have some flights upcoming on AA flight numbers operated by BA. I bought the tickets through aa.com and my AAdvantage number is attached to them. But I'd like to credit them to my BAEC account instead, to get the Avios and Tier points. Can someone please tell me the procedure for attaching my BA number instead of my AA number to these flights? Can it be done online, or must I call AA?

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: Enrich
You can try to do it via manage booking in aa.com. If no possible, give AA call to get PNR number for BA, then go BA's manage booking to do it. Else, you can go finnair website's manage booking to change
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by saunders111
Hi all,
I have some flights upcoming on AA flight numbers operated by BA. I bought the tickets through aa.com and my AAdvantage number is attached to them. But I'd like to credit them to my BAEC account instead, to get the Avios and Tier points. Can someone please tell me the procedure for attaching my BA number instead of my AA number to these flights? Can it be done online, or must I call AA?

Thanks,
saunders111
I would call AA, provide the AA PNR, and ask the agent for the BA PNR. Then go to the BA web site, use 'manage my booking' with the BA PNR, and see if you can modify the frequent flyer number there.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to note that these may be AA marketed so as AA will be doing the crediting I would advise changing the FFP on AA MMB as well as BA MMB. In terms of changing it on AA MMB I am not sure if you can do it online, if not then just call.

For the BA MMB, one way to get your BA PNR is
- go to the Qantas website and put your AA PNR in to MMB
- when in the booking go to the seat selection section and you should see "Seat selection is only available for flights operated by Qantas. To select seats and manage your booking, visit British Airways site with your booking reference XXXXX" where XXXXX is your BA PNR
- go to finnair.com and look at MMB for XXXXX, you should be able to change your FFP on the finnair site
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:32 am

Thank you all very much for your help on this (switching FF plans from AA to BA on an AA booking). It turns out the AA phone agent (that I had to call anyway to get the BA PNR) was able to make the switch of FF programs easily. So one call to AA got it done.

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:55 pm

I have a sabbatical coming up and was thinking about spending about two months traveling around the world on one world explorer ticket. I'm thinking JFK-GRU-JNB-DOH-BLR-KUL-MEL-LAX. JFK-GRU-JNB-DOH-BLR in June, spend some time home in India, fly back to the US and then fly out again for BLR-KUL-MEL-LAX in October. I am planning to do J for the entire trip.

Can I pair my explorer ticket with Platinum status challenge? I'll be doing AA, LA, QR, MH & QF for the legs.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sshankar
I have a sabbatical coming up and was thinking about spending about two months traveling around the world on one world explorer ticket. I'm thinking JFK-GRU-JNB-DOH-BLR-KUL-MEL-LAX. JFK-GRU-JNB-DOH-BLR in June, spend some time home in India, fly back to the US and then fly out again for BLR-KUL-MEL-LAX in October. I am planning to do J for the entire trip.

Can I pair my explorer ticket with Platinum status challenge? I'll be doing AA, LA, QR, MH & QF for the legs.
For guidance on the XONEx rules look in the OW forum---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/
Look at the sticky posts

Route Great Circle Mapper
You only have 7 segments from 16 allowed but some flights may not be non stop (--> more segments). So you can visit more places. eg PER DRW in Aust

GRU-JNB will be a problem(~impossible?) when LATAM leaves OW alliance in a few months. If you book before it leaves it may be possible, but probably would not be able to change the June date. An unknown at this time. LATAM is a big loss for xONEx and other OW RTW tickets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._R._...tional_Airport
Parking the ticket for months and then resuming in OK. Many do that

Not all OW airlines can be used in the AA challenge. Look at the challenge master thread.
The recently announced AA-QR code share agreement may help a lot (book the AA code share and not QR native flight)
With the challenge and a xONEx ticket worth doing the calc as to if the AA flight/codeshare of the native flight (eg on BA, QF) is better. You can change between native & codeshare flight relatively easily. AA have a specific rule for earning on these type of tickets
sshankar likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 25, 2020 at 8:22 pm Reason: spelling grammer
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Since you're only using seven or so out of your 16 allowed, and especially since you'll be buying J, I'd recommend spending some time with Expert Flyer to explore exactly which flights you want; personally, I incorporate some intracontinental backtracking in order to have longer, more enjoyable flights and increase mileage earnings. You can also hit North America twice, since once can be to get to/from South America, and you can hit Asia twice since once is in conjunction with routing between Europe/Middle East and Australia/Pacific. Also, be aware that the U.S. is one of the more expensive places in which to start. You might consider a routing such as JFK-GRU-JFK-LAX-DOH-BLR-KUL-SYD-PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-HKG-JFK, which still leaves a few segments available to you.

Yes, they have no connection with each other, but pay attention to which airlines' codes will count towards the challenge. Also, when using EF to search specific flights, note when some may be available as code-shares, and check the AA earnings table, as some codes earn more EQD, EQM, and RDM than others. Also, be aware that a DONE5 can easily earn AA Platinum status on its own. I think you should be able to earn Platinum Pro without too much trouble. Earning Executive Platinum is difficult if you are primarily choosing your route based on places you'd like to visit rather than just flight miles, but even so it can get you most of the way there.

You'd be well-advised to take @Mwenenzi's advice to read up in the OneWorld forum and can ask for routing guidance there.
sshankar likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD

To add to the advice that @Mwenenzi and @anabolism have given:

I suggest you read the wiki to this thread The Oneworld Explorer User Guide - it was written especially for people thinking of their first RTW journey. In particular see the Ticket Tricks section

If, after that, you still want to have just a 7 flight RTW (or 8 with a LAX-JFK final flight) then here are some cost-saving suggestions:

Your itinerary is 6-continent business class (a DONE6)
The base fare ex-USA is USD13,599
The ex-Canada base fare is CAD14,099 (about USD10,850 - a saving of USD2,750)

Are you stopping over in DOH, or is it merely a place to change planes between JNB and BLR?
You are paying for the continent of Europe/Middle East for it
Instead you could fly JNB-HKG-BLR, making your ticket a DONE5
- saving ex-USA is USD1,800; ex-Canada is CAD1,800 (USD1,400)

Your itinerary is under 34,000 miles (JFK-GRU-JNB-DOH-BLR-KUL-MEL-LAX-JFK)
So you could purchase the Global Explorer (DGLOB34) instead
- ex-USA base fare is USD10,299; ex-Canada is CAD10,799 (USD8,300)

You are planning to break your RTW in India (with a separate return ticket to the US from there)
Instead of
- an ex-US/Canada RTW ticket + an India-USA return ticket
you could purchase
- a US-India return ticket + an ex-India RTW ticket

The ex-India RTW base fares are:
DONE6 - INR675,670 (USD9,392)
DONE5 - INR585,850 (USD8,143)
DGLOB34 - INR500,650 (USD6,959)
(source ExpertFlyer)
Notes:
ex-India tickets have a GST tax imposed
ex-Sri-Lanka fares are even lower (the DGLOB34 base fare is USD6,608 - and this is half of the ex-US DONE6 base fare)

Happy planning!
Mwenenzi and sshankar like this.

Last edited by pandaperth; Feb 26, 2020 at 3:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.