Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Australian ETA Visa application*

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Requesting ETA 6 months in advance?

What a nice offer! How far in advance can an ETA Visa be requested? My spouse and I plan to take a trip to Australia over Christmas.

Would a donation to a childrens' hospital be acceptable instead of a donation to the Humane Society?

Thanks,
--Lucky Green
Old May 29, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Air Canada does not charge for visa's. Just a heads up.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:12 pm

ETA Help

Guy Betsy,

Thanks for your time and assistance with ETAs. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:37 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up ETA help

Guy Betsy was amazing. I sent in my info while eating b'fast and low and behold I have a visa in my inbox while having dinner (yes the same day!!) My pass it forward choice is a membership in Rails-to-Trails which I will be using multiple times this weekend to prepare for a really long coach flight and I hope others try them too!

MSV

Last edited by msv; Jun 27, 2007 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 15, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Guy, You're a star.

Your help will add the A$20 fee towards the cost of setting up an adapted home for the 22yr old son of someone I know. Tom was involved in a snowboarding accident & looks likely to be paralyzed from the neck down.

Tom's father is a very senior (& capable) UN staff member who himself narrowly escaped death in the bombing of the UN headquarters in the Canal Hotel in Baghdad back in 2003. This should remind us all to count our blessings.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:21 am

Thumbs up Request for ETA Application

Pls assist in my visa application... What details do you require from me? I'll be travelling on Friday 24th Aug. Pls assist.

Kindly advise accordingly. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Pauline

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I would like to offer my services of processing Australian ETAs for free to fellow FT members and travelling companions.

As some of you may be aware that the visas are generally charged (about US$12) by most airlines and other visa processing services including the Australian ETA site-www.eta.immi.gov.au, I will not charge you. *However I would suggest you can perhaps do a good deed by doing something nice for somebody else unexpectedly (unknown would be better), or perhaps by making a donation to the local Humane Society, or some other charitable donation of your choice. Basically, "Pass it Forward" Thanks ! Feel free to post how you intend to do your deed !

PM me if interested.

PS - Please note however, that I can only do these if things aren't too busy for me. So please do not get offended if I can't do the visas right away. And please do not rely on me to remember if you have sent me information previously.

The visas are valid one year from date of issue, are multiple entries with a validity of 3 months per entry. Visas normally processed are for vacation only and for a select number of nationalities, free business visas may also be processed.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:48 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by paulinechia00
I'll be travelling on Friday 24th Aug. Pls assist.
Hi Pauline & welcome to FT.

You may find that Guy is on holiday at the moment, as he hasn't posted anything in his usual haunts for a while.

Should you not hear anything within a very short time, please don't make the mistake of trying to travel without getting your ETA sorted out. (The site Guy quotes www.eta.immi.gov.au is usually the simplest route.)

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Thanks Guy Betsy for your help! ^

There is an extra donation for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary coming in your name.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:17 am

It apears that student visas are a lot more expensive than tourist visas. What are the odds that i'll get caught if i just get a tourist visa?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
It apears that student visas are a lot more expensive than tourist visas. What are the odds that i'll get caught if i just get a tourist visa?
I'd think the odds of getting caught were pretty good, my impression based on our company's experience with seconding someone over there for a year is that Australia takes visa stuff seriously.

In addition, an ETA is good for a maximum 3 month stay, are you factoring in the cost of doing a visa run every three months even if it does work?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'd think the odds of getting caught were pretty good, my impression based on our company's experience with seconding someone over there for a year is that Australia takes visa stuff seriously.

In addition, an ETA is good for a maximum 3 month stay, are you factoring in the cost of doing a visa run every three months even if it does work?
A tourist visa is $70 while a student visa is $385. I figure for 310 I can go on a nice weekend trip to NZ.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
A tourist visa is $70 while a student visa is $385. I figure for 310 I can go on a nice weekend trip to NZ.
I would also make sure before you do that, that the University doesn't require a copy of your visa before they will finalise your enrolment.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:40 pm

Donation to Leukemia/Lymphoma society on its way.

Sydney here I come!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
With the current climate, I would not mess with the visa process if you have any desire to finish out more than a semester or so over there with no trip out of the country or to go back once you've completed your studies. Not that they're guaranteed to catch you, just if they did they won't be particularly polite about it.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
100%.

Your school will not admit you without a proper Student Visa Authority. Once admitted, they will be reporting to the immigration authorities your class attendance records. Failure to attend a minimum specific number of days will cause your visa to be terminated immediately and you will be asked to leave Australia. You will also have a permenant record against you and future visits to Australia will result in a visit to the nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission instead of through ETAs.

Don't mess with the Australian or any immigration authorities when visas are concerned.

On that sombre note, you may however, enter Australia on a visitors visa initially and then switch over to a student visa when you are in the country. However that will eventually cost you more .. more time, more paperwork and more costs.

What sort of course you're taking is also relevant.. if you are taking something of 'interest' , ie personal development courses over a week or two, then you don't need a student visa. But anything longer than say, 3 months in an accredited instituition, then you'd need the proper paperwork.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Oct 12, 2007 at 3:57 pm Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.