Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
How are the tourists in French Polynesia now who flew in on Air France going to get home?
Via Canada PPT-YVR-CDG instead of via USA
AF77 PPT - CDG (with 2-hour re-fueling stop in LAX)... (that thread should be split: older posts are from 2015 )

Post 57 above is being updated
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold
I expect to see a cut back in flights to PPT since yesterday Windstar cancelled their Tahiti cruises for the rest of 2020. They were going to resume on Oct. 8. That is 150 people per week who will be cancelling their flights.

Also, FP is now at level 3 epidemic stage due to 385 cases. It is advised not to travel amongst the islands. Not a good time to go.
https://www.tahiti-infos.com/La-Poly...9_a193846.html
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Does anyone have any updates on the UA SFO-PPT flights and experience with the boarding and presenting covid-19 test results? My SO and I are planning on taking a flight next week and UA seems to be operating their flights. Are UA gate agents also checking covid-19 test results during boarding? We have out covid-19 tests scheduled for later this week. And it is not clear whether is it 72 hours before boarding your first flight to connect to SFO-PPT, or is it 72 hours from boarding the flight out of SFO? Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
Does anyone have any updates on the UA SFO-PPT flights and experience with the boarding and presenting covid-19 test results? My SO and I are planning on taking a flight next week and UA seems to be operating their flights. Are UA gate agents also checking covid-19 test results during boarding? We have out covid-19 tests scheduled for later this week. And it is not clear whether is it 72 hours before boarding your first flight to connect to SFO-PPT, or is it 72 hours from boarding the flight out of SFO? Thanks!
72 hours from boarding SFO. Otherwise no point in having a timeline requirement when they can't control the start point.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been keeping post 57 up to date
03 Oct 2020 from post 57 link
The spread of Covid-19 cases in French Polynesia is accelerating, with almost 100 new infections now being recorded a day.

An eighth person has died and 30 people are in hospital, including eight in intensive care.

Of the 2026 Covid-19 cases, 1964 were recorded after the borders were reopened and mandatory quarantine requirements were abolished in July in order to boost tourism and revive the economy.

The government said 401 cases were active.

While most cases were detected in Tahiti, the virus reached several outer islands, including Raivavae and Arutua
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:01 am

I am hoping that FP begins to allow some other means of testing other than the RT-PCR test. The Abbot rapid tests are proving to be the same accuracy as the brain stab nasal swab test. I still cannot find any place in Kansas City to get the RT-PCR test on a Saturday and have results back by Monday to make a Tuesday MCI-SFO-PPT flight. I may end up canceling the whole vacation trip unless FP changes the testing methods they will accept. Of course by January when my trip is planned for this could be a moot issue as they may decode to close their borders again as cases keep increasing.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:00 am

Does anyone know what happens if a visitor’s self test on day 4 comes back positive? I assume they will need to quarantine however, where? For how long? What costs are associated?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've seen multiple regions talk about self testing throughout the trip. How does that work? Do they give you a kit and you truly do it all yourself, or what?

I am also looking at a trip to somewhere in FP in December, but it's not looking positive at this point. I may have to settle for a different beach somewhere else.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRUXED
Does anyone know what happens if a visitor’s self test on day 4 comes back positive? I assume they will need to quarantine however, where? For how long? What costs are associated?
Look below
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've seen multiple regions talk about self testing throughout the trip. How does that work? Do they give you a kit and you truly do it all yourself, or what?

I am also looking at a trip to somewhere in FP in December, but it's not looking positive at this point. I may have to settle for a different beach somewhere else.
Link to testing here (FAQ)--> https://tahititourisme.nz/en-nz/covid-19/
In addition to the test required prior to departure, a self-test provided by French Polynesia, will need to be carried out on the fourth day after arrival in the destination. An envelope will be given to each traveler upon their arrival at the airport. This test consists of an oral and nasal swab, to be self-performed at the date indicated on the envelope containing a self-test kit with instructions and an information note.
https://www.airtahitinui.com/nz-en/n...restrictions-0
This is for NZ (where I am), but will equivalent for USA

Link --> https://www.worldometers.info/corona...nch-polynesia/
bchandler02 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 6, 2020 at 3:11 pm
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:06 pm

There is a link to a YouTube video on the Tahiti tourism website that explains the self testing and how it administered.

What it does not explain anywhere is what would happen if you test positive from the self test. Do you quarantine at your current hotel? Do they require you to move somewhere else? What costs are associated with any of that- etc....

ive seen people say they “heard” you are required to pay for a medical flight to a government facility On the main island and on other websites/forums I have seen people say they were told it would be quarantining in their current room. Again, which is true and what costs would a traveler be responsible for?

ive emailed the tourism board with this question- as to what would happen if a traveler self tested positive- and I have not gotten a response.
CPMaverick and bchandler02 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 57 is being kept up to date

(rnz.co.nz) 14 Oct 2020 Tahiti Covid-19 tally soars to 3252
French Polynesia has recorded its 11th Covid-19 fatality as case numbers soared to 3252. Since the last official update three days ago, the number of active cases has almost doubled to 1102. 50 people are in hospital, including eight in intensive care.

All but 62 cases were detected after the borders were reopened and mandatory quarantine requirements were abolished in July in order to boost tourism and revive the economy.

The virus, which now infects about 150 people a day, has spread to the Marquesas after being detected in the Tuamotus and the Austral islands, but most cases are in Tahiti and Moorea.

Graph. Does not look good. The curve is getting steep ---> https://www.worldometers.info/corona...nch-polynesia/
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13 Nov 2020 (rnz.co.nz)---> France curbs tourism to Tahiti
Travel of French tourists to French Polynesia is being suspended because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The French High Commission in French Polynesia said while urgent travel from France continued to be allowed, trips for what it described as the economic recovery of French Polynesia, were banned until further notice.
<snip>
There has been no comment from the government in French Polynesia, which last week said it would focus its tourism promotion on attracting visitors from the United States and France.
<snip>
Graph. The curve is getting steep ---> https://www.worldometers.info/corona...nch-polynesia/
A classic case of what happens with Covid-19, if nothing is done??

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 19, 2020 at 12:45 pm Reason: added "There has been......."
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

Windstar just cancelled all of their Tahiti cruises until March 25 when they allegedly will resume. Mine was to be March 4. I cancelled my award flights and got my miles redeposited and cancelled the 2 night pre cruise hotel. I will not be visiting French Polynesia in 2021, maybe 2022.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:47 pm

I returned last week from a trip to Bora Bora and wanted to share a detail from my experience. Like everyone else, I watched the https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/ page and scrutinized every single detail. Due to my scheduled departure, my only real option was to use My Doctor Medical Group (https://mydoctorsf.com/covid-19-testing-for-travel/) to meet the 72 hour requirement. I signed up for their COVID service + $50 expedited FP fee. I did NOT sign up for the additional documentation because there was no indication of the need for it on anything I had read.

At the appointment, the person performing the test said they recommended the additional documentation, it was required, and the test they did before me got it for FP too. Not wanting to take a chance on a documentation problem over a few bucks, I agreed to the add on.

Fast forward to the trip....at departure, during FP immigration, and checking into my first hotel, I intentionally did not hand over the "additional documentation" and held it back to see if they would ask for it. No one did. All they cared about was the ETIS form and the lab results. So I wasted $35/per person.

Hope this helps someone save a few bucks.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by jw461
I returned last week from a trip to Bora Bora and wanted to share a detail from my experience. Like everyone else, I watched the https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/ page and scrutinized every single detail. Due to my scheduled departure, my only real option was to use My Doctor Medical Group (https://mydoctorsf.com/covid-19-testing-for-travel/) to meet the 72 hour requirement. I signed up for their COVID service + $50 expedited FP fee. I did NOT sign up for the additional documentation because there was no indication of the need for it on anything I had read.

At the appointment, the person performing the test said they recommended the additional documentation, it was required, and the test they did before me got it for FP too. Not wanting to take a chance on a documentation problem over a few bucks, I agreed to the add on.

Fast forward to the trip....at departure, during FP immigration, and checking into my first hotel, I intentionally did not hand over the "additional documentation" and held it back to see if they would ask for it. No one did. All they cared about was the ETIS form and the lab results. So I wasted $35/per person.

Hope this helps someone save a few bucks.

thanks for sharing. That is good information. We will be heading to bora bora later this month.

One comment, I emailed the Tahiti tourism board and Also TN.... the test is not necessarily required within 72 hours; it can be three calendar days prior. As it was explained to me, as an example, you could test Friday morning for a Monday night departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.