Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

We finally got our authorization after a couple days
Old May 10, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hello! Does anyone know how the departure testing works? In late June, we'll fly back to SFO on UA114 at 9:15 PM. How much time should we allocate at the airport? What is the cost? Any other considerations? We'll be flying back from Bora Bora the same day. Thanks a lot!

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/

For passengers departing to the United States requiring a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, the test center at the Faa’a international airport is reopened.
A this stage, the center is open on days when flights to the US are scheduled from 3 PM until 7 PM.
PinaColada likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
So the SO is going to Tahiti in a couple weeks (May 27) with some (I believe 3 others) friends, and she is unsure about the requirements so wanted to check in on the regs. Her concern is that some of the specifics are unclear, so here we go:

1) For the "D-3" pre-departure tests:

1a) They had each ordered an at-home test to be administered live over Zoom in front of a nurse, who would certify the test procedure and results (I haven't done this, but sounds self-explanatory so I will take it as accurate). However, after further review, the group somehow decided this was too risky due to something or other that they had found in the Tahiti COVID restrictions/guides. Anyone have any insight into whether this is a non-issue or if it would be a problem?

1b) For the "D-3" window: she keeps using "72 hours", which I obviously get is a synonym for "3 days", and from my brief review of the Tahiti tourism COVID page, I only see reference to "D-3". However, does any one have any experiences with how persnickety they have been regarding the timeframe -- is it just a "if your flight is on Thursday, you need to show us a negative test dated no earlier than Monday" kind of thing, or might they not like a test that was done outside of the 72-hour clock window?

1c) The group will be leaving from DC and connecting in LA/SF (one is outbound, the other return), so given the extra time for that transcon connection, does the timeframe mean strictly the U.S.-PPT leg, or does it mean the itinerary start time for the original flight leaving DC? (since I haven't flown much during COVID I figured that was a reasonable question on multi-airline itineraries)

1d) It "seems" to me that rapid COVID tests are more or less generally available, but having not taken one, is there a material risk of one or more not being able to get one prior to the trip? I just really don't have a feel for that.

2) The arrival test at PPT and follow-up "A=4" test seem pretty straightforward, but any tips for those who have gone through?

3) Any anecdotes on the 10pm-4am curfew (unless that's already lifted)? This is my question and more so just as helpful advice to qualify that for the group as far as whether it's being enforced strictly(which I would presume given it's a health emergency) , or if it's more so being treated as one of those "just don't get caught doing anything stupid or overly public/congregatory during curfew, in which case they'll tack that one on for fun and give you more trouble for it".

4) Should I just tell her it's overamping and they will be fine as long as they all show up with their D-3 squared away on departure day?

Last edited by LHCVG; May 11, 2021 at 12:01 am Reason: Clean up and add spacing
Old May 11, 2021, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by brodayo
Hello! Does anyone know how the departure testing works? In late June, we'll fly back to SFO on UA114 at 9:15 PM. How much time should we allocate at the airport? What is the cost? Any other considerations? We'll be flying back from Bora Bora the same day. Thanks a lot!
https://en.calameo.com/read/003461503ff5f51c66dd4

According to page 3, turnaround time is 1 hour for antigen test, and cost is XPF 5,700.
brodayo and PinaColada like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by LHCVG
So the SO is going to Tahiti in a couple weeks (May 27) with some (I believe 3 others) friends, and she is unsure about the requirements so wanted to check in on the regs. Her concern is that some of the specifics are unclear, so here we go:

1) For the "D-3" pre-departure tests:

1a) They had each ordered an at-home test to be administered live over Zoom in front of a nurse, who would certify the test procedure and results (I haven't done this, but sounds self-explanatory so I will take it as accurate). However, after further review, the group somehow decided this was too risky due to something or other that they had found in the Tahiti COVID restrictions/guides. Anyone have any insight into whether this is a non-issue or if it would be a problem?

1b) For the "D-3" window: she keeps using "72 hours", which I obviously get is a synonym for "3 days", and from my brief review of the Tahiti tourism COVID page, I only see reference to "D-3". However, does any one have any experiences with how persnickety they have been regarding the timeframe -- is it just a "if your flight is on Thursday, you need to show us a negative test dated no earlier than Monday" kind of thing, or might they not like a test that was done outside of the 72-hour clock window?

1c) The group will be leaving from DC and connecting in LA/SF (one is outbound, the other return), so given the extra time for that transcon connection, does the timeframe mean strictly the U.S.-PPT leg, or does it mean the itinerary start time for the original flight leaving DC? (since I haven't flown much during COVID I figured that was a reasonable question on multi-airline itineraries)

1d) It "seems" to me that rapid COVID tests are more or less generally available, but having not taken one, is there a material risk of one or more not being able to get one prior to the trip? I just really don't have a feel for that.

2) The arrival test at PPT and follow-up "A=4" test seem pretty straightforward, but any tips for those who have gone through?

3) Any anecdotes on the 10pm-4am curfew (unless that's already lifted)? This is my question and more so just as helpful advice to qualify that for the group as far as whether it's being enforced strictly(which I would presume given it's a health emergency) , or if it's more so being treated as one of those "just don't get caught doing anything stupid or overly public/congregatory during curfew, in which case they'll tack that one on for fun and give you more trouble for it".

4) Should I just tell her it's overamping and they will be fine as long as they all show up with their D-3 squared away on departure day?
Can only answer the questions in 1 since we haven't traveled yet, but this is my understanding:

1a) The etis.pf site has a list of acceptable RT-PCR tests (essentially any FDA-approved test), so the at-home tests should be fine. Perhaps that's what the group is concerned about?
https://www.service-public.pf/dsp/wp...FDA-et-CNR.pdf

1b) I don't have any personal experience, but per the Tahiti tourism and Air Tahiti Nui sites, it's three calendar days and not 72 hours.
"Ex: If the flight departs on a Monday at 11pm, the passenger needs to take the test the preceding Friday."
https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/

"Proof of a negative Covid-19 test (RT-PCR) molecular laboratory test, carried out within three days prior to their Air Tahiti Nui international air departure (e.g. if the flight departs on a Tuesday at 10:30 PM, the passenger needs to take the test the preceding Saturday)."
https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/f...air-tahiti-nui

1c) Per the language above from the Air Tahiti Nui site, it seems to be three calendar days from the LAX/SFO-PPT leg.

1d) "Rapid" tests are generally antigen tests, which are not accepted for entry into FP (although you may be able to get a "rapid" 1 hour PCR test, e.g. LAX offers this). However, rapid antigen tests are accepted for return back to the US.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:25 pm

Thank you for all of that, very good info and clarification! The differences in the rapid tests seems like an especially important matter to consider, I skipped over that little detail.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I'm heading to ppt in June and just completed my online app with Tahiti and was approved as vaccinated traveler and received my letter of approval. The United site says you will scan the QR code from this for boarding and landing, but i did not receive a QR code. Is it needed? Is it generated at check in? Anybody know?
Old May 25, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I'm heading to ppt in June and just completed my online app with Tahiti and was approved as vaccinated traveler and received my letter of approval. The United site says you will scan the QR code from this for boarding and landing, but i did not receive a QR code. Is it needed? Is it generated at check in? Anybody know?
Answering my own question here -- Tahiti has discountinued use of teh QR code, so bring printout of doc...
Old May 25, 2021, 8:48 pm

That's a good an useful update, thank you for the info!
Old May 26, 2021, 7:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Returning to UA from PPT, pre-departure COVID testing info

Looks like plenty of information around regarding the COVID testing 72 hours prior to your SFO to PPT flight. But curious if anyone here can share their experience on the flight back from PPT to SFO and the COVID test you take to enter back into the US.

What I can gather from the Tourism board site: "ANTIGENIC TESTS AT DEPARTURE FROM TAHITI: For passengers departing to the United States requiring a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, the test center at the Faa’a international airport is reopened. A this stage, the center is open on days when flights to the US are scheduled from 3 PM until 7 PM." Regarding price: "TEST PRIOR TO DEPARTURE COST : What’s the cost of a COVID-test in Tahiti? Price of the test varies between 5 000 XPF and 20 000 XPF per person."

Curious how long it takes to get results, where you go in the airport, experiences if you are connecting from BOB to PPT before the UA flight to SFO? Any insights appreciated!
Old May 26, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PinaColada
Looks like plenty of information around regarding the COVID testing 72 hours prior to your SFO to PPT flight. But curious if anyone here can share their experience on the flight back from PPT to SFO and the COVID test you take to enter back into the US.

What I can gather from the Tourism board site: "ANTIGENIC TESTS AT DEPARTURE FROM TAHITI: For passengers departing to the United States requiring a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, the test center at the Faa’a international airport is reopened. A this stage, the center is open on days when flights to the US are scheduled from 3 PM until 7 PM." Regarding price: "TEST PRIOR TO DEPARTURE COST : What’s the cost of a COVID-test in Tahiti? Price of the test varies between 5 000 XPF and 20 000 XPF per person."

Curious how long it takes to get results, where you go in the airport, experiences if you are connecting from BOB to PPT before the UA flight to SFO? Any insights appreciated!
My understanding is the XPF fee is not currently being charged. It's a rapid test and you take it and then can get on your flight out of PPT. The price variation depends on whether you can show proof of vaccination. Nt vaccinated? It costs more.
PinaColada likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
My understanding is the XPF fee is not currently being charged. It's a rapid test and you take it and then can get on your flight out of PPT. The price variation depends on whether you can show proof of vaccination. Nt vaccinated? It costs more.
Very very helpful Xyzzy! No fee, after the ballooning cost of this trip will be appreciated!

From my perspective, was trying to decide if my interisland flight from BOB to PPT (5:35pm to 6:25pm) was cutting it close for a departure of 9:15pm from PPT. I have read in other forums that the PPT airport leaves much to be desired (i.e. no air-conditioning, cramped, and the Air Tahiti Nui Lounge is just 'ok'), so wanted to spend as little time as possible, while not setting myself up to miss a flight.

Moderator Team- Now that I look my comment moved to the new location in "Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)", I see one of the last preceding threads titled "Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?" might be the more appropriate forum to place it in. I see similar conversation starting with comment #92 by user "brodayo". Thanks!
Old May 27, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I'd be cmfortable with the 6:25pm arrival. The airport isn't particularly nice but the lounge above average IMHO. It's not great, but it's certainly better than many I've been to.
PinaColada likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more thing on departure -- if you arrive PPT much earlier than the 6:25pm flight to connect with UA's 9:15pm departure, you may wish to head dwn to the food trucks down by the ferry dock. It's only a short bus/taxi ride away and it provides lovely sunset views of the harbour.
PinaColada likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:44 pm

Excellent info as well, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.