Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

It's been almost six weeks since Tahiti effectively closed off travel from the outside. Any updates? I haven't been able to find anything in the press as of late. I have a trip in September which I know is very much up in the air. Just trying to get a sense of what things are looking like on the ground over there.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
According to https://ncov2019.live/data
French Polynesia has had 57 confirmed cases, of which 43 have recovered, 15 are still active, one of those is critical
(and yes I know - the numbers do not add up)
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
According to https://ncov2019.live/data
French Polynesia has had 57 confirmed cases, of which 43 have recovered, 15 are still active, one of those is critical
(and yes I know - the numbers do not add up)
Interesting, very limited. I wonder if there's any grumblings about phased reopenings for tourists, since the economy is so dependent on outside visitors.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Interesting, very limited. I wonder if there's any grumblings about phased reopenings for tourists, since the economy is so dependent on outside visitors.
Pacific Islands tend to be extremely cautious about these types of things. There is a long history of disease and quarantine in this region of the world, and their healthcare systems have very poor coverage.

I would expect them to be very strict about how they reopen. Almost certainly a negative test result before departing, and/or a required quarantine or health checks on arrival before visiting outer islands.

Low numbers do not make it easier to open for tourism, in fact in some ways it makes it more difficult. If they have eliminated the virus from the country (and it has been 7 days since a new case) they will be very strict about potentially re-introducing it. In this case they would first re-open to countries like NZ, Australia, and others who have minimal or no cases.
Mwenenzi, OhDoctor and nancypants like this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Apr 27, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Old May 21, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold
Two updates:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...september.html
Windstar will resume cruising there with the small 140 pax ship Wind Spirit in September

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Trafic-...4T0VWfASK3C_EM
"Tahiti, May 19, 2020 - A delegation from the association of international air carriers of French Polynesia (Air France-KLM, Air Tahiti Nui, Air New Zealand and Hawaiian Airlines) met on Monday with Vice-President Teva Rohfritsch and the Minister of Nicole Bouteau tourism. The two members of the government affirmed that the Country would be able to announce a scenario of resumption of the international air connections "at the end of May, at the beginning of June" , indicated Lionel Rault, the owner of Air France-KLM at the end of the meeting.
For now, the members of the ATAIPF have announced a suspension of their commercial activity until June 30, with a possible resumption from July 1."

I hope all this happens. My trip is planned for January 14, 2021, the Windstar cruise with 2 nights before sailing. My flights are with UA.
CPMaverick and OhDoctor like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Two updates:
Very interesting, thanks for posting. It took me a while to understand it but they are basically saying an announcement could happen in the next week or so. And the announcement could be that flights will resume July 1.

Quite a lot sooner than I would have expected, but if so it would be good news for the OP. If it happens I'll be interested to see how they handle the health side of it. For sure the USA will still have a lot of Covid cases in July. But if testing continues to expand, they could require a clean bill of health to board.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, thank you for the update. That's encouraging. A July 1st start date bodes well for September and gives plenty of room for snags, false starts, and allows them to work out the kinks.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:19 am

I maybe be making an assumption here. But Windstar may have some insider info or they wouldn't schedule Wind Spirit cruises to resume in September.
The prices on these cruises are spectacular, have never been this low. It is to lure people back to Tahiti. if you have ever wanted to take one of these small ship Tahiti cruises now is the time.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

There's also this!

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...9-restrictions
Old May 22, 2020, 10:03 pm

Great news for FP! Although for visitors, elimination probably means more restrictive entry requirements. He mentions that current quarantine requirements will remain when international flights resume in July.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Great news for FP! Although for visitors, elimination probably means more restrictive entry requirements. He mentions that current quarantine requirements will remain when international flights resume in July.
That's true, although they also acknowledge that the quarantine needs to end as soon as possible, otherwise reopening to international travel is pointless:

​​​​​​​
But we are waiting to see under what conditions we will have to operate , explains Michel Monvoisin, the CEO of Air Tahiti Nui. A question shared by all French airlines, recalled yesterday during hearings to elected officials of the Overseas Commission of the Senate. No one will travel with a quarantine requirement on departure or arrival. We need specific dates.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:33 am

That's true, although they also acknowledge that the quarantine needs to end as soon as possible, otherwise reopening to international travel is pointless:
Agree with you. There's no way quarantining for 2 weeks would work for people flying in to take a cruise that starts and ends in Papeete. I am staying 2 nights before the cruise. If there was a 2 week quarantine before then I would not go at all.
OhDoctor likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:37 pm

Thanks, I missed that. Hopefully there will be some specific dates soon.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Im interested to hear what comes out on or about the 5th of June which looks to be in line with their anticipated announcement regarding the 14 day quarantine for Tahiti. Im currently booked on the AKL-PPT TN flight on July 2nd but will cancel if 14 days is still required.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Im interested to hear what comes out on or about the 5th of June which looks to be in line with their anticipated announcement regarding the 14 day quarantine for Tahiti. Im currently booked on the AKL-PPT TN flight on July 2nd but will cancel if 14 days is still required.
My sense is the quarantine requirement will be phased out in stages, with low risk travelers being exempt first, while those from the US/Brazil/Italy etc. may have to wait longer. I could be totally off base. That being said, if you're a Kiwi, I would think you'll be OK by July.
CPMaverick likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.