Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by PinaColada
Very very helpful Xyzzy! No fee, after the ballooning cost of this trip will be appreciated!

From my perspective, was trying to decide if my interisland flight from BOB to PPT (5:35pm to 6:25pm) was cutting it close for a departure of 9:15pm from PPT. I have read in other forums that the PPT airport leaves much to be desired (i.e. no air-conditioning, cramped, and the Air Tahiti Nui Lounge is just 'ok'), so wanted to spend as little time as possible, while not setting myself up to miss a flight.

Moderator Team- Now that I look my comment moved to the new location in "Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)", I see one of the last preceding threads titled "Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?" might be the more appropriate forum to place it in. I see similar conversation starting with comment #92 by user "brodayo". Thanks!
Just returned from our trip. The post you replied to is not exactly accurate; they’re currently not charging for the COVID antigen test on arrival to PPT and the PCR test on day 4. However, the antigen test on departure from PPT costs XPF 5,700 per person.

I would be wary about a 6:25PM arrival into PPT. The testing center closes at 7PM; if there’s any delays to your flight from BOB, you may not be able to get tested for your flight back to the US (several Air Tahiti interisland flights were delayed on the day we left). I would recommend arriving earlier just to be safe. The test can take up to 1 hour to result, so you also want to leave enough time for the check-in cutoff (you won’t be able to check-in without your test result in hand).

If you have Priority Pass, the Air Tahiti Nui lounge is fairly spacious and not a terrible place to wait for your flight. It also has A/C unlike the rest of the airport.
Xyzzy and PinaColada like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by aabbcc
I would be wary about a 6:25PM arrival into PPT. The testing center closes at 7PM; if there’s any delays to your flight from BOB, you may not be able to get tested for your flight back to the US (several Air Tahiti interisland flights were delayed on the day we left). I would recommend arriving earlier just to be safe. The test can take up to 1 hour to result, so you also want to leave enough time for the check-in cutoff (you won’t be able to check-in without your test result in hand).
Sorry, but just to clarify -- why do you need a COVID test prior to boarding your return flight to the US? The CDC advises a test 3-5 days after arrival for vaccinated travelers with no quarantine requirement; even for unvaccinated travelers, there is still no COVID test required before returning to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ecautions.html
Old May 31, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Sorry, but just to clarify -- why do you need a COVID test prior to boarding your return flight to the US? The CDC advises a test 3-5 days after arrival for vaccinated travelers with no quarantine requirement; even for unvaccinated travelers, there is still no COVID test required before returning to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ecautions.html
There's been a requirement for a negative COVID test (or proof of recovery from infection) to enter the US by air since January 26.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old May 31, 2021, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
There's been a requirement for a negative COVID test (or proof of recovery from infection) to enter the US by air since January 26.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
You're right, but it's really bizarre that the CDC doesn't mention that on the page I referenced.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
One more thing on departure -- if you arrive PPT much earlier than the 6:25pm flight to connect with UA's 9:15pm departure, you may wish to head dwn to the food trucks down by the ferry dock. It's only a short bus/taxi ride away and it provides lovely sunset views of the harbour.
Good call, I had that on my list of places to visit on my mandatory night stay in Papeete given the arrival time of the United flight from SFO.

Just returned from our trip. The post you replied to is not exactly accurate; they’re currently not charging for the COVID antigen test on arrival to PPT and the PCR test on day 4. However, the antigen test on departure from PPT costs XPF 5,700 per person.

If you have Priority Pass, the Air Tahiti Nui lounge is fairly spacious and not a terrible place to wait for your flight. It also has A/C unlike the rest of the airport.
Thanks for the tip aabbcc, hope you had a wonderful and enjoyable trip! Oops, should have talk to you before I booked my flight last week, and looks like the ticket prices are a little up from when I booked. I saw on another forum US to require Covid test for international travel that many were recommending the self administered Abbott test done on video chat that is acceptable by the CDC (which seem like a cheaper option than the UA version). Might investigate that option a little more, and if not rebook my BOB -PPT flight to an earlier time.
LHG likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Good call, I had that on my list of places to visit on my mandatory night stay in Papeete given the arrival time of the United flight from SFO.
Last time we found they start setting up around 5pm...
... I saw on another forum US to require Covid test for international travel that many were recommending the self administered Abbott test done on video chat that is acceptable by the CDC (which seem like a cheaper option than the UA version). Might investigate that option a little more, and if not rebook my BOB -PPT flight to an earlier time.
Can you provide a link to this? The UA site links to Abbott which is run by eMed and they sell 6 tests at once -- all of which need to be used by the same person. At $150/person that's a LT more than the $57/person at PPT.

ETA: I'm tempted to just order a 6 pack and try to use it for two people anyway as we have some additional trips coming up...
PinaColada likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 2, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Last time we found they start setting up around 5pm...
Can you provide a link to this? The UA site links to Abbott which is run by eMed and they sell 6 tests at once -- all of which need to be used by the same person. At $150/person that's a LT more than the $57/person at PPT.

ETA: I'm tempted to just order a 6 pack and try to use it for two people anyway as we have some additional trips coming up...
I think Xyxxy found the links already based on another thread, but for those looking in this current thread. There is more information starting from this comment. High level you are right they are $150 for 6 Abbott test by eMed, store link. And the cheaper ones sold by Optum is $50 for 1 test, $70 for 2 test and $100 for 3 test, store link. I read that they are shipping quickly, but not sure if you will have time (since I think you said you are leaving this week).
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I think Xyxxy found the links already based on another thread, but for those looking in this current thread. There is more information starting from this comment. High level you are right they are $150 for 6 Abbott test by eMed, store link. And the cheaper ones sold by Optum is $50 for 1 test, $70 for 2 test and $100 for 3 test, store link. I read that they are shipping quickly, but not sure if you will have time (since I think you said you are leaving this week).
FWIW, I ordered tests tests from eMed since it's now obvious to me that despite what eMed says they can be shared between multiple people. If your order is in and approved by 6pm Eastern it will be shipped for next day arrival. ptum quoted 2 to 3 business days for delivery.
PinaColada likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:56 pm

Thanks for the tip aabbcc, hope you had a wonderful and enjoyable trip! Oops, should have talk to you before I booked my flight last week, and looks like the ticket prices are a little up from when I booked. I saw on another forum US to require Covid test for international travel that many were recommending the self administered Abbott test done on video chat that is acceptable by the CDC (which seem like a cheaper option than the UA version). Might investigate that option a little more, and if not rebook my BOB -PPT flight to an earlier time.
The self-administered test seems like a good option too; they only started allowing it a few weeks ago after we had already book our Air Tahiti flight into PPT so we didn’t look into it. Enjoy your trip!
PinaColada likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Answering my own question here -- Tahiti has discountinued use of teh QR code, so bring printout of doc...
From whom did you get the info that "Tahiti has discountinued use of teh QR code".
I also believe that is true, but I was wondering if there something written somewhere about that.

Just FYI, I was denied boarding on my United connecting flight this morning in Cleveland because my ETIS receipt did not have a QR code. United still has this as a requirement in their system, and depending on what check in agent you get, they may not let you check in. Multiple people have commented on this in different groups in the past few days (we heard similar stories on a French Polynesia FB group).

I just created a thread about my experience today, but it hasn't been approved yet. But I would advise you to check with United before your flight about this requirement. After canceling my flights today, we were able to convince a United customer service rep about this issue, and she said the "Reservations lead" had approved me to travel this coming week without a QR code... apparently there is now a note on my reservation. So maybe United is slowly becoming aware that they have a problem in their system about this QR code requirement.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 1:16 pm

I’m booked to PPT on United leaving this Tuesday. My ETIS doesn’t have a QR. what did you do to convince them?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by bakoboy
I’m booked to PPT on United leaving this Tuesday. My ETIS doesn’t have a QR. what did you do to convince them?
The way we had luck was using the Facebook group for United Airlines, doing direct messaging. It seems weird to me, but it seems the people on that Facebook channel have more brains than the customer service reps you get on the phone. Also, it's good because you can attach images.
We told them that ETIS is no longer issuing QR codes; we gave them screen shots of the requirements from French Polynesia, such as the one at < tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19 > which describes the documents required to enter and just says "ETIS receipt" (and not QR code); we gave photos of our ETIS receipt and Haut Commissariat "Travel Authorization" forms.

You want to get a note in your reservation that says it's OK to board without a QR code.

By the way, I have a feeling that if you get to SFO, it's not a problem... the agents there must have realized by now that the QR code thing is not relevant. The problem is, I believe, if you are taking another United flight to get to SFO because those check-in agents have the same requirements to check French Polynesia entry documents on their screens, and if they don't see a QR code they can decide to simply not allow you to check in.

Good luck. Report back your experience if you have time.

BTW, I'm also booked on UA115 on Tuesday. I hope I can take it. At the moment, I'm having trouble from Haut Commissariat, they rejected my request for Travel Authorization because "Documents submitted too late"... since I was re-booked from Saturday to Tuesday, and I made a new request on Saturday... that will be the fight for tomorrow! Hope to see you on the flight on Tuesday!

Last edited by Tod Flak; Jun 6, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA's TIMATIC page does not list QR codes as a requirement. I'm not sure whether that's a new thing or not. We had no problem flying EWR-SFO-PPT June 5, but we had an overnight at SFO so nobody at EWR asked us for any documentation. The SFO agents did not look for a QR code and didn't even mention it. The QR issue is/was also an issue for AA. We've run into people who were denied boarding by AA for not having a QR code.

I also wanted to mention that the testing center for PPT departures to the US is now listed as being open from 3pm until 8pm where it was only listed as being pen until 7pm as of a few days ago.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tod Flak

BTW, I'm also booked on UA115 on Tuesday. I hope I can take it. At the moment, I'm having trouble from Haut Commissariat, they rejected my request for Travel Authorization because "Documents submitted too late"... since I was re-booked from Saturday to Tuesday, and I made a new request on Saturday... that will be the fight for tomorrow! Hope to see you on the flight on Tuesday!
We ran into a couple on Bora Bora this evening with the same issue. They, too, tried to re-apply because of denied boarding. They were able to email the High Commissioner and explain what happened. It was suggested that they modify their itinerary, but of course that was not possible because one isn't allowed to change the arrival and departure flights. After an email exchange with the High Commissioner office they were able to travel under the original authorisation. GD LUCK!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:25 pm

FWIW, I ordered tests tests from eMed since it's now obvious to me that despite what eMed says they can be shared between multiple people. If your order is in and approved by 6pm Eastern it will be shipped for next day arrival. ptum quoted 2 to 3 business days for delivery.
Originally Posted by Tod Flak
Just FYI, I was denied boarding on my United connecting flight this morning in Cleveland because my ETIS receipt did not have a QR code. United still has this as a requirement in their system, and depending on what check in agent you get, they may not let you check in. Multiple people have commented on this in different groups in the past few days (we heard similar stories on a French Polynesia FB group).

I just created a thread about my experience today, but it hasn't been approved yet. But I would advise you to check with United before your flight about this requirement. After canceling my flights today, we were able to convince a United customer service rep about this issue, and she said the "Reservations lead" had approved me to travel this coming week without a QR code... apparently there is now a note on my reservation. So maybe United is slowly becoming aware that they have a problem in their system about this QR code requirement.
UA's TIMATIC page does not list QR codes as a requirement. I'm not sure whether that's a new thing or not. We had no problem flying EWR-SFO-PPT June 5, but we had an overnight at SFO so nobody at EWR asked us for any documentation. The SFO agents did not look for a QR code and didn't even mention it. The QR issue is/was also an issue for AA. We've run into people who were denied boarding by AA for not having a QR code.

I also wanted to mention that the testing center for PPT departures to the US is now listed as being open from 3pm until 8pm where it was only listed as being pen until 7pm as of a few days ago.
We ran into a couple on Bora Bora this evening with the same issue. They, too, tried to re-apply because of denied boarding. They were able to email the High Commissioner and explain what happened. It was suggested that they modify their itinerary, but of course that was not possible because one isn't allowed to change the arrival and departure flights. After an email exchange with the High Commissioner office they were able to travel under the original authorisation. GD LUCK!
Xyzzy did you ever get your eMed test before your flight or are you going to try the testing center at PPT? All your wisdom is paving the wave for a nice, stress free trip for me in 3 weeks, including that it's now open to 8pm...

I just learned about TIMATIC today (in a DL forum here) but might be smart to just reference a non-SFO agent to this...

Best of luck on your flight tomorrow Tod Flak. Emailing the High Commissioner's office might be your best bet to getting your authorization issue fixed. Keep us updated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.