Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Week in Australia (Melbourne and Sydney)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
One Week in Australia (Melbourne and Sydney)

Hello,

I will be heading to Australia next month for a one week visit. I enjoy mountain views, good brunches, and farmer's markets. I would appreciate feedback/suggestions on this itinerary:

Day One (Saturday):
- Arrival in Melbourne at 9am after 16 hour flight from Los Angeles
- Check into hotel and freshen up
- Queen Victoria Market
- Walk around CBD

Day Two:
- Explore Fitzroy and Brunswick neighborhoods
- South Melbourne Market

Day Three:
- Great Ocean Road Day Tour (only if I have energy and weather is good)
- Alternative: Brighton Beach and St. Kilda

Day Four:
- Morning brunch and walk around city
- 3pm flight to Sydney
- Arrival in Newtown (where I will be staying)

Day Five:
- Sydney Opera House/Botanical Gardens/The Rocks

Day Six:
- Blue Mountains by public transit

Day Seven:
- Bondi to Cogee walk
- Ferry to Manly

Day Eight (Saturday):
- Carriageworks Farmer's Market
- Make-up Day (in case poor weather on other days)

Day Nine:
- Early flight to LAX

Last edited by georgina80; Mar 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been to Australia before?
Sounds good: not rushed

In Melbourne get the Myki card
In Sydney get the Opal card

There is a good post by Tom911 on using public transport to the Blue Mountains. (which I cannot find just now)

Edit
Tom911's https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26741020-post46.html
in SYDNEY day trips out of the city

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 28, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Been to Australia before?
Sounds good: not rushed

In Melbourne get the Myki card
In Sydney get the Opal card

There is a good post by Tom911 on using public transport to the Blue Mountains. (which I cannot find just now)
First time visit. But I've been wanting to go for years and done my research.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by georgina80
First time visit. But I've been wanting to go for years and done my research.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just remember the CBD free tram zone in MEL.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thanks for this. I already got my ETA. Will be utilizing Skybus in Melbourne and Uber for Sydney airports. Since I am staying in Newtown/Enmore, Uber seems more efficient than public transportation.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
That's a reasonable itinerary.

I had a long reply but then my computer decided to have a hissy fit.

Needless to say in Newtown you won't struggle to find good food. For brunch spots in Sydney check out this article and this one for a few less conventional spots. I am a big fan of the Turkish breakfast at Efendy in Balmain. I'd note that, unlike in the US or the UK, brunch in Australia is not really a meal associated with alcohol. While it's a bit of a mission, a memorable breakfast would be at the Balmoral Boathouse, mainly because you're sitting right on the harbour with an amazing view and the food is decent too.

While not a farmer's market, whenever I have overseas friends visit they all love a trip to the fish market. I'm fairly ho-hum on the place, and don't see much past its utilitarian value as a place to buy fish, but if you like markets you might want to check it out.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'd suggest putting the GOR / beach day on your second day, that way you can delay it a day due to weather if necessary. April can be a tricky month, and your 'backup plan' to the GOR still requires a nice day.

Otherwise, a nice looking trip. I might advise to check out the Old Treasury Building if you have a bit of time to kill, it is free entry and has some nice history of the city.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'd suggest putting the GOR / beach day on your second day, that way you can delay it a day due to weather if necessary. April can be a tricky month, and your 'backup plan' to the GOR still requires a nice day.
This trip is actually three weeks away (late March), so hoping weather is still mild.

The issue with doing GOR/beach on day two is that it's a Sunday. Sunday seems to be when the markets are open and I figured leaving the beach until Monday would also mean less crowds.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This trip is actually three weeks away (late March), so hoping weather is still mild.

The issue with doing GOR/beach on day two is that it's a Sunday. Sunday seems to be when the markets are open and I figured leaving the beach until Monday would also mean less crowds.
We had a rental car and did the GOR in one day. Left the hotel from CBD very early (6:30 am?) and returned around 10 pm if memory serves, but was a fun road trip for all. Did a ton of stops, but it worked.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

It's true there may be more to do in the city on Sunday. But I don't think GOR traffic will be much different... it is mostly tourists. And traffic coming in and out of the city will be better on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.