Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I adjust my South itinerary to include Tasman?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

How can I adjust my South itinerary to include Tasman?

Working on a driving itinerary to take my mom through before heading across the ferry to the north island. Having trouble making the south work, though.

The current idea is...

1. Fly into Christchurch
2. Drive across to punakaiki (or nearby?)
3. Down to Franz Josef
4. Down to Queenstown
5. To Te Anau
6. Milford Sound
7. Back to Queenstown
8. Mt cook
9. Back up to Christchurch
10. Picton

So this route is basically a counter-clockwise version of south island. I can do clockwise if it makes any more sense... I'm just not sure how to get up to the tasman region. Would be nice to visit Wharariki beach and the seal pups there... but it feels maybe just too much out of the way - i.e. don't think I could drive up to Wharariki in 1 day, but then where do you stop on the way and is it even worth it?

Any advice to be able to include some time up in the tasman region and beyond?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Nelson & Abel Tasman park is definitely worth it, one of the nicest parts of the south island though very different (tropical instead of glaciers). Lots of arts & crafts located there, everything from glass blowing to wood working with some world class quality (and prices -- not cheap for the good stuff). It is out of the way and you just need to budget 2 days for it
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
Working on a driving itinerary to take my mom through before heading across the ferry to the north island. Having trouble making the south work, though.

The current idea is...
1. Fly into Christchurch
2. Drive across to punakaiki (or nearby?)
3. Down to Franz Josef
4. Down to Queenstown
5. To Te Anau
6. Milford Sound
7. Back to Queenstown
8. Mt cook
9. Back up to Christchurch
10. Picton
You do not state how many days for all this.
It takes more time to drive between destinations than many people think.
The roads are 2 lane and twisty in many places.

CHC to Greymouth (Punakaiki) is via Arthurs Pass. You could take the Transalpine to Greymouth and pick up a rental at the train station.

CHC to Picton is now via the Lewis Pass, as the coastal road is closed due to the 2016 Kaikora earth quake.
Instead of Picton veer left and head for Motukea and Tasman National Park. On the way back Motukea-Nelson-Piction
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You do not state how many days for all this.
It takes more time to drive between destinations than many people think.
The roads are 2 lane and twisty in many places.

CHC to Greymouth (Punakaiki) is via Arthurs Pass. You could take the Transalpine to Greymouth and pick up a rental at the train station.

CHC to Picton is now via the Lewis Pass, as the coastal road is closed due to the 2016 Kaikora earth quake.
Instead of Picton veer left and head for Motukea and Tasman National Park. On the way back Motukea-Nelson-Piction
I thought SH1 northbound was supposed to open for summer - did I misunderstand or misread that somewhere?

My mom's flights aren't booked yet but I was thinking 21-ish days. This would be her longest trip I can remember, and the most we've traveled together. Don't want it to be TOO long and have us drive each other crazy! But now I'm starting to think we should just focus exclusively on the south and skip things like rotorua, taupo, waitomo (and there is an alternative not as good glowworm cave in te anau?)

I did a 30 day roadtrip myself around NZ earlier this year. Comfortable with the drive and understand that yes everything takes longer. For me it's okay but harder to judge how my mom will handle, so yeah... possibly too ambitious.

I'm already in NZ when my mom arrives and it's basically guaranteed I'll already have the car, so not sure we can take the scenic railway across although it's a nice idea. (MAYBE I drop my car off on west coast, take some cheap basic transport across to CHC then we both travel back by train...)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

A final review of my "final" south island itinerary?

Been asking a bunch of questions. Thanks to you all in advance. Updated the itinerary with my mom and this is what we came up with....

I'd really appreciate feedback if this makes sense. Is it too much in Wanaka/Queenstown? Not enough elsewhere? Have we miscalculated or missed something?

Day 1 Fly into Christchurch. Rest/see city
Day 2 Drive into Mt. Cook. MAYBE a basic hike/view. Stay in Mt. Cook
Day 3 Hooker valley hike. More sightseeing? Stay in Mt. Cook
Day 4 Drive to Queenstown. Skyline afternoon/sunset?
Day 5 Maybe drive to Glenorchy. Enjoy the town/area/lake. Stay in Queenstown
Day 6 Explore Arrowtown area. More Queenstown. Stay in Queenstown
Day 7 Drive to Te Anau/Manapouri in afternoon.
Day 8 Early doubtful sound cruise. Drive back to Te Anau
Day 9 Early drive to Milford Sound. Enjoy area. Overnight cruise
Day 10 Drive to Te Anau. Glowworm caves. Stay in Te Anau
Day 11 Drive to Wanaka. DO WHAT?
Day 12 Wanaka Winery. Lake Wanaka. What else? Stay in Wanaka
Day 13 Drive to Franz Josef. Stops along the way. Lake Matheson/valley walk
Day 14 Heli hike. MAYBE other viewing in area if time. Drive to Punakai. See pancake rocks.
Day 15 See pancake rocks. Anything else? Drive to Takaka
Day 16 Up to Puponga/Wharariki beach for day. Stay in Takaka
Day 17 Water taxi to a few spots in Abel tasman. Stay in Takaka/south of it
Day 18 Drive to Nelson/Picton.
Day 19 Fly out of Nelson or Wellington

Thank you SOOOO much!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lake Matheson is best at sunrise (personal experience) but weather is bound to become an issue somewhere along this trip. Many of these routes become impassable for a few days after a big storm. Remember that the west coast is a temperate rain forest with huge annual rainfall, hard to believe the amount until you experience it. Unlikely to get 19 days of good weather and that may affect your driving speed and hiking activities.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Lake Matheson is best at sunrise (personal experience) but weather is bound to become an issue somewhere along this trip. Many of these routes become impassable for a few days after a big storm. Remember that the west coast is a temperate rain forest with huge annual rainfall, hard to believe the amount until you experience it. Unlikely to get 19 days of good weather and that may affect your driving speed and hiking activities.
Yeah... I'm obviously not expecting perfect weather everywhere, but what can we do? Need to pre-book everything, basically (it seems...)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'd really appreciate feedback if this makes sense...
You are going to spend a long time just driving and not experiencing places.
You will lucky to get an average speed of 80 km/hr 50 mph
Put the route into google maps or https://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and...ce-calculator/

What time of year are you visiting? (but may be in one of your posts on this topic).
Unless at peak times pre booking not worth the effort & restrictions on the trip. Just go with the flow

Edit. An threads by OP on the same trip
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...sit-me-nz.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ange-fees.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...r-airline.html
Stay in Christchurch or go to Tekapo right away?
New zealand for 5.5 months: Rent, buy, lease? What?
Which doubtful sound overnight cruise?
Advice for protecting my belongings?
Do I need a dual-voltage power STRIP/BAR?
Leaving electronics in car on hot days?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 31, 2017 at 12:55 pm Reason: more links
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Put the route into google maps or https://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and...ce-calculator/

What time of year are you visiting? (but may be in one of your posts on this topic).
Unless at peak times pre booking not worth the effort & restrictions on the trip. Just go with the flow
When I was driving around South Island, I was able to drive 100km/hr at ease with no issues the entire time I was there. The only place I had to slow down was in towns (like Christchurch, Queenstown)...everywhere else was no issue at all. The only time I ever slowed down was to let a kiwi and her chicks cross the road
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
When I was driving around South Island, I was able to drive 100km/hr at ease with no issues the entire time I was there.
You can't drive up the West Coast route (Haast to Takaka) at 100 km/hr average. Indeed due the Kaikora quake/rail line closed and all freight (now on trucks) is going Picton-Murchison-Lewis Pass-CHC the speed limit is 80 km/hr in many places. A route I drive every few months. On the Canterbury Plains -South Canterbury-Mackenzie area 100k/hr is achievable.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Been asking a bunch of questions. Thanks to you all in advance. Updated the itinerary with my mom and this is what we came up with....

I'd really appreciate feedback if this makes sense. Is it too much in Wanaka/Queenstown? Not enough elsewhere? Have we miscalculated or missed something?

Day 1 Fly into Christchurch. Rest/see city
Day 2 Drive into Mt. Cook. MAYBE a basic hike/view. Stay in Mt. Cook
Day 3 Hooker valley hike. More sightseeing? Stay in Mt. Cook
Day 4 Drive to Queenstown. Skyline afternoon/sunset?
Day 5 Maybe drive to Glenorchy. Enjoy the town/area/lake. Stay in Queenstown
Day 6 Explore Arrowtown area. More Queenstown. Stay in Queenstown
Day 7 Drive to Te Anau/Manapouri in afternoon.
Day 8 Early doubtful sound cruise. Drive back to Te Anau
Day 9 Early drive to Milford Sound. Enjoy area. Overnight cruise
Day 10 Drive to Te Anau. Glowworm caves. Stay in Te Anau
Day 11 Drive to Wanaka. DO WHAT?
Day 12 Wanaka Winery. Lake Wanaka. What else? Stay in Wanaka
Day 13 Drive to Franz Josef. Stops along the way. Lake Matheson/valley walk
Day 14 Heli hike. MAYBE other viewing in area if time. Drive to Punakai. See pancake rocks.
Day 15 See pancake rocks. Anything else? Drive to Takaka
Day 16 Up to Puponga/Wharariki beach for day. Stay in Takaka
Day 17 Water taxi to a few spots in Abel tasman. Stay in Takaka/south of it
Day 18 Drive to Nelson/Picton.
Day 19 Fly out of Nelson or Wellington

Thank you SOOOO much!
Personally I'd give Wanaka a miss; if you like "outdoors" I'd suggest the Wilderness jet boat/bus tour on the Dart River. Leaves from Glenorchy.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Edit. An threads by OP on the same topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...sit-me-nz.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ange-fees.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...r-airline.html
Where would you suggest we stretch it out/stay longer to avoid the too-much-driving? I did a similar route myself. Yeah, it's a lot of driving.. but you also get to see a lot!

Obviously the drivers are going to be longer than what gmaps says because of speed but also because we'll stop to take pictures, enjoy the view, etc. etc.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eltham
Personally I'd give Wanaka a miss; if you like "outdoors" I'd suggest the Wilderness jet boat/bus tour on the Dart River. Leaves from Glenorchy.
I wasn't 100% about wanaka myself. What do you suggest if we cut it out? I'm thinking we need at least 1 night there as a stopover (or do you suggest elsewhere?), but I guess I could cut off the 2nd night. That boat tour looks a lot like the Shotover jet outside of Queenstown. It might not be totally to my mom's taste but I can check.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
I wasn't 100% about wanaka myself. What do you suggest if we cut it out? I'm thinking we need at least 1 night there as a stopover (or do you suggest elsewhere?), but I guess I could cut off the 2nd night. That boat tour looks a lot like the Shotover jet outside of Queenstown. It might not be totally to my mom's taste but I can check.
Wanaka is a day-trip at most. I'd just stay in Qtown. The Dart River trip is a 4-hour combined bust, forest walk and jet boat. It's not the thrill-seeker ride, but a fast and scenic trip through great country.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eltham
Wanaka is a day-trip at most. I'd just stay in Qtown. The Dart River trip is a 4-hour combined bust, forest walk and jet boat. It's not the thrill-seeker ride, but a fast and scenic trip through great country.
Ah interesting - okay, maybe I can make it work then. But then I guess that sort of means staying in Queenstown on the way into and out of Milford sound? Or would you suggest another area one of the ways?

If I stayed in Queenstown on the way out of Milford sound/te anau, driving to Franz Josef glacier after that would be too far I think, especially given the certain stops along the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.