Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which doubtful sound overnight cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Which doubtful sound overnight cruise?

Currently deciding between the Real Journeys one or Fiordland Expeditions.

RJ is 70+ people, and I think FE caps at about 15. But I've heard it actually feels more cramped on that one. They also seem to give you about 3-4 more hours on the trip (leave from Manapouri earlier). Looks like it might be more fishing/eating the seafood on the FE which isn't totally up to our interest level or taste.

Has anyone gone on one of these two overnighters - or possibly on both? Any conclusions you could pass along to help decide?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Only a few thousand people a year take these cruises so chances of getting a reply here is slim. I have taken neither but would go for the smaller boat on the premise that the allure of this cruise is isolation in pristine wilderness. YMMV.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

I did end up booking the RJ one. I really don't think we could have gone wrong, but it was $500 cheaper on RJ and I actually think my mom would appreciate the more... organized nature of it. We'll put that savings into some other experiences too!

More than anything I think we're paying for the access to be there overnight
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
I did end up booking the RJ one. I really don't think we could have gone wrong, but it was $500 cheaper on RJ and I actually think my mom would appreciate the more... organized nature of it. We'll put that savings into some other experiences too!

Take a bucket load of insect repellent. The sandflies will eat you alive.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eltham
Oh yeah, my arm was full of bumps last time I was in NZ! Wasn't good about putting the repellent on all the time... this time I will be!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eltham
I hated those things - it made sense why we could donned in full-length gear when we went kayaking in Milford Sound.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:04 pm

I have been on the RJ overnight and loved it. They'll go into a cove, turn off the engines, and ask everyone to be quiet, including no camera shutters. It's amazing. They also put the bow into a waterfall, yes into it, and you can go stand in it. Options for kayak or boat excursions in the evening.
We did this along with the over night on Medford Sound, RJ bus to/from Queenstown. The entire trip was great. The company seems very well run.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanna go now
I have been on the RJ overnight and loved it. They'll go into a cove, turn off the engines, and ask everyone to be quiet, including no camera shutters. It's amazing. They also put the bow into a waterfall, yes into it, and you can go stand in it. Options for kayak or boat excursions in the evening.
We did this along with the over night on Medford Sound, RJ bus to/from Queenstown. The entire trip was great. The company seems very well run.
Thanks! Am definitely excited!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
We did the RJ overnight in Nov 2016. It was wonderful, I cannot recommend it highly enough. One factor in our decision having quiet, semi-alone time to enjoy nature. My logic (I have not been on the other cruise) was it seemed that the smaller boat might end up forcing folks together most of the time due to space considerations. On the RJ cruise the boat was big enough that you could always wander about and find a quiet spot on the deck or in the lounge or even down in your stateroom. We also greatly enjoyed the on-board naturalist guide narrating what we were seeing and where we were. She was a great resource.

I still clearly recall us making it out of the mouth of the sound into the Tasman Sea on a clear blue sky day (we were very lucky) with thousands of miles of open water in front of us. I felt like Captain Cook!

Here's a shot of my wife on empty deck in late twilight.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I don't think you will be unhappy with real journeys. We did overnight on Milford with them and the daytime doubtful and both were well organized and enjoyable. The daytime doubtful was a 12 hour adventure from queenstown..a drive to the lake cross over on one boat then another bus ride over the pass to enter the sound..personally I enjoyed doubtful more than Milford with less people and boat traffic. We also stopped at the manapori power station which is pretty interesting if you are into that sort of thing..my partner is so it was an added benefit. Enjoy..and use your money for more great adventures around NZ
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska, AA
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004

How did RJ turn out in your experience? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.