Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flexible return date/change fees?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Flexible return date/change fees?

I am going on an extended trip to NZ but am really unsure of when I intend to return. However, booking the return trip is minimally more expensive than just buying a 1way (plus I think for visa I need to have the return flight booked/purchased).

The return is probably 4-6 months after my flight in. Any way to have flexibility built in? A quick search looks like change fees on AA are rather astronomical...

How do people normally handle this sort of a situation? Just pick a date and stick to it for better or worse?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
That, or buy a flexible ticket to begin with.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242
That, or buy a flexible ticket to begin with.
When I look on aa.com it shows that the "Main cabin" ticket is Refundable, but I can't find details on what that actually means?

Then on their fees, it seems all of their tickets have the change fees unless I'm missing something?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Just noticed they have a "fully flexible" option, but that's like 3x the price of main cabin. Might as well just buy a separate one-way ticket!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
Just noticed they have a "fully flexible" option, but that's like 3x the price of main cabin. Might as well just buy a separate one-way ticket!
Yeah, unfortunately that's sometimes the case -- flexible tickets can be more than the cost of the original ticket + 2 or 3 changes. Should probably just make your best guess as to when you'll return, and definitely shop around -- other airlines might offer cheaper flexible tickets!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:29 am

Another (somewhat riskier) option just occurred to me -- flying US to New Zealand is 40,000 AA miles each way in economy, and purchasing 80000 miles costs about $1540 at the moment. You can change the dates on award tickets at no cost as long as the origin and destination remain the same. The only risk, of course, is that the cheap award bucket won't be available on the date you want to change to.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Another (somewhat riskier) option just occurred to me -- flying US to New Zealand is 40,000 AA miles each way in economy, and purchasing 80000 miles costs about $1540 at the moment. You can change the dates on award tickets at no cost as long as the origin and destination remain the same. The only risk, of course, is that the cheap award bucket won't be available on the date you want to change to.
Something to consider! Definitely feels maybe a bit too risky for my liking though! Any other benefits on award tickets besides changes?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:34 pm

Something to consider! Definitely feels maybe a bit too risky for my liking though! Any other benefits on award tickets besides changes?
Nope, at the MileSAAver level (i.e. the 40k level in this case) it's just like any other economy ticket.

Your risk tolerance might depend on how much flexibility you have on your return -- for instance, if you can come back any day within a 1-2 week window (vs. finding out that you must be back in the states on a specific day) -- and if your return will be during low season when more award tickets are likely to be available.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Nope, at the MileSAAver level (i.e. the 40k level in this case) it's just like any other economy ticket.

Your risk tolerance might depend on how much flexibility you have on your return -- for instance, if you can come back any day within a 1-2 week window (vs. finding out that you must be back in the states on a specific day) -- and if your return will be during low season when more award tickets are likely to be available.
I definitely can be flexible... my return date is indeed more like within WEEKS difference vs days...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Just registered for an AAvantage account, and I see this:
We're sorry! You have a new account and cannot currently buy, gift or share miles. Please try again later.

Is that just a timeframe thing, or do I have to fly/earn before I can buy or something?

Also looks like it's 85k roundtrip when I look at my options, but it is a bit scary as dates seem to randomly jump up to 70 and even 90k (for one leg of the journey)
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Just registered for an AAvantage account, and I see this:
We're sorry! You have a new account and cannot currently buy, gift or share miles. Please try again later.

Is that just a timeframe thing, or do I have to fly/earn before I can buy or something?

Also looks like it's 85k roundtrip when I look at my options, but it is a bit scary as dates seem to randomly jump up to 70 and even 90k (for one leg of the journey)
From the T&C (https://buymiles.americanairlines.com/en/buygift/tc):

AAdvantage accounts less than 30 days old are not permitted to Buy or Gift Miles

so this pushes you out of the current sale (though there may be another along soon). If you make a dummy booking then before purchasing you can read all the fare rules. Usually the return can be changed, after the outbound has been flown, without a fare change as long as there are seats in that fare code. You must still pay the change fee but, if you are flexible enough, that is all.

Edit: my last comments apply to purchased fares.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Usually the return can be changed, after the outbound has been flown, without a fare change as long as there are seats in that fare code. You must still pay the change fee but, if you are flexible enough, that is all.
Wait sorry this confuses me. Are you talking about bought tickets for $$$?

When I go through their booking after selecting both flights, the left side says:
Flight changes allowed (fee may apply)
How would I know what that flight would be? And what about price difference between the one I booked and an alternative?

FOR EXAMPLE, if I booked a return in early Feb 2018 now, but then in late jan I am "actually it needs to be end of feb", wouldn't the price of that be more, simply because I am closer to the date?

If I do the "fully flexible" it's many thousands $ but states:
No change fee (fare difference applies)
It sucks not knowing what sort of fees you might be looking at... "fee may apply" just sucks! Especially the "may" part
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am going on an extended trip to NZ but am really unsure of when I intend to return. However, booking the return trip is minimally more expensive than just buying a 1way (plus I think for visa I need to have the return flight booked/purchased).

The return is probably 4-6 months after my flight in. Any way to have flexibility built in? A quick search looks like change fees on AA are rather astronomical...

How do people normally handle this sort of a situation? Just pick a date and stick to it for better or worse?
Looking at the AA r/t fares from LAX-AKL, the change fees do not look that bad

The cheapest fare showing on Expert Flyer ( for February ) shows a change fee of $100 and a $200 cancellation penalty

That fare does have a 6 month maximum stay

The biggest price jump seems to be if you choose to stay > 6 months where the cheapest 12 month stay fare is about $800 more than the cheapest 6 month stay

With a $100 change fee, just book a date that may be ok and then pay the $100 ( and fare difference ) if you need to change the date later

Just make sure to make the change before the date of the flight that is booked, since there is a $500 no-show fee

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 6, 2017 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:34 pm

FOR EXAMPLE, if I booked a return in early Feb 2018 now, but then in late jan I am "actually it needs to be end of feb", wouldn't the price of that be more, simply because I am closer to the date?
Not necessarily - in the instances when I've changed a return flight at the last minute (due to getting sick the night before), the new fare was quite similar to the old one. In fact, in one case it was less -- so a $200 change fee actually ended up being $125 out of pocket.

The fare rules associated with your ticket will specify the exact amount of the change; the only reason it says "may apply" and "up to $750" is just to cover all their possible bases. Once you actually have a ticket, whether or not fees apply, and the amount of the fees, are locked in.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Wait sorry this confuses me. Are you talking about bought tickets for $$$?

When I go through their booking after selecting both flights, the left side says:

How would I know what that flight would be? And what about price difference between the one I booked and an alternative?

If I do the "fully flexible" it's many thousands $ but states:

It sucks not knowing what sort of fees you might be looking at... "fee may apply" just sucks! Especially the "may" part
I edited my post in the hope of clarifying that the last bit was for cash fares but you may have already read it.

The bit about no fare increase if the same fare class is available is what matters. You might have to have flexibility and you should check the fare conditions to make sure the words are in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.