Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do I need a dual-voltage power STRIP/BAR?

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Do power strips/bars just pass through the electricity, or do they also need to be dual-voltage rated?

I'd love to pack a little travel-sized power strip so I don't need multiple adapters - plus I might not always have easy access to multiple power outlets.

Belkin, for example, has a travel-sized one but if I used it with a plug adapter for New Zealand, can I plug in any of my devices as long as THEY are dual-voltage rated?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Status? What's status?
You'll want to get a dual voltage strip. Even if you get a strip that isn't sold as having surge protection a plain old power strip will not work with 220 volts, unless you want a big pop and a burning smell when you plug it into 220 volts. Also remember that dual voltage strips are not transformers, if it's plugged into 220 the power in the outlets will be 220, but nowadays most chargers for phones, laptops, etc are all dual voltage. There are plenty of cheap, dual voltage power strips that are small enough to be easily packed.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmsalman
There are plenty of cheap, dual voltage power strips that are small enough to be easily packed.
Can you point me in the direction of a decent one? All the ones I seem to come across do NOT specify that they are dual voltage...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:03 pm

Are most of your chargers USB? If so have you considered getting a USB power adapter with 6 ports? Aukey for example makes one

https://www.amazon.com/Charge-AUKEY-...s=aukey+6+port
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yannerd
Are most of your chargers USB? If so have you considered getting a USB power adapter with 6 ports? Aukey for example makes one

https://www.amazon.com/Charge-AUKEY-...s=aukey+6+port
Indeed most of my stuff is USB. The main AC units I can think of is my drone battery charger and laptop. It has USB ports that could act as charge ports in a pinch, though they aren't any sort of high-amp/quick charge.

If only USB ports were built into the dell charger or something (my drone charger has it at least...)!

I have this:
http://www.bestekcorp.com/product/po...WER-STRIP.html

it says:
• Input Voltage: 100V-125VAC 60Hz
• Output Voltage: 100V-125VAC 60Hz

so I am assuming that I absolutely could not use this in new zealand which is 230/240v? Even if for example my laptop charger is dual voltage?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
I have this:
http://www.bestekcorp.com/product/po...WER-STRIP.html

it says:
• Input Voltage: 100V-125VAC 60Hz
• Output Voltage: 100V-125VAC 60Hz

so I am assuming that I absolutely could not use this in new zealand which is 230/240v? Even if for example my laptop charger is dual voltage?
Correct. That power strip also has a transformer built in to drive the USB ports, and if the transformer for the USB ports is 120V only like the specs say, it won't work on 230V.

If you want to use a US power strip on 230V, you want the cheapest one you can possibly find. No surge protector, no power switch (the switch usually has a light in it), no breaker, no nothing--basically a piece of plastic with some wiring in it. I have a little 3-outlet one I bought at IKEA years ago that lives in my kitchen to charge phones and whatnot that have US plugs on their transformers, though I hide it when visitors are around to keep someone from thinking that it's a 120V outlet and frying something.

I actually went and looked on Amazon and was unable to find a power strip without a lighted switch.

Ninja edit: Found it! These are what I use in Europe to have multiple US outlets, either running 230V or behind a transformer: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00086428/
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
Can you point me in the direction of a decent one? All the ones I seem to come across do NOT specify that they are dual voltage...
I've used something like this Travel Power Strip in the past, includes dual voltage surge protection and USB outlets. Depending on where you are you still may need to get a plug adapter, but those can be found very cheap.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA
I have this unit from Monster and have used it all over the world (India, China, Europe) with no issues. I use simple plug adapters to plug in locally. I can't post URL's yet so check Amazon for the "Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black"

I have two that just live permanently in my computer backpack and my luggage.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
I suggest you're in the wrong forum. Go check Travel Technology.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-strips.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...es-thread.html
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Boycott Monster. They are a tax evading patent troll.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by guitarguy
I have this unit from Monster and have used it all over the world (India, China, Europe) with no issues. I use simple plug adapters to plug in locally. I can't post URL's yet so check Amazon for the "Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black"

I have two that just live permanently in my computer backpack and my luggage.
If it's the same one I have, it's officially rated for 120V only. That said, it seems to work on 240V fine from your datapoint and others I've read elsewhere.

Personally I went ahead and bought this one (was a ~$5 Amazon Warehouse deal at purchase time). I made sure to check the pins with a multimeter when I received it and they were wired correctly; the miswiring seemed to be a thing mentioned in older reviews so that might be something to keep in mind if you go this route. The particular one I purchased also doesn't have USB, but that's not an issue for me as my USB adapters are dual voltage and aren't a hassle to carry around.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tmiw
If it's the same one I have, it's officially rated for 120V only.
The Monster OTG ones are rates for 240 volts. People have reported confirming this with their customer service, and it's also now stated on their website.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
The Monster OTG ones are rates for 240 volts. People have reported confirming this with their customer service, and it's also now stated on their website.
On mine it says 125V in the plastic but I'll take a look at their website to see if it's the same model we're talking about.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
I'm the bumblebee that doesn't know it can't fly

For close to 20 years, Mrs JT8D and I have been using $2 standard US extension cords cut to leave female 3-tap receptacle end and replace the plug end with a standard replacement US male plug. The "shorty" cord has a total overall length of 8". The US male plug can then be plugged into a standard plug adapter for the country we're in.

This little device extends the receptacle end out from the wall outlet and its congestion and provides 3 female US receptacles. (Works in congested gatehouses too, as you can plug in the existing person's cord and also accommodate yours.) I only regularly use this for two small Apple devices.

Obviously, this shorty setup does NOT include surge protectors or voltage transformers in the extension cord. But no smoke, no sparks, no warm or hot wires. I'm sure that some EE will explain to me that this can't possibly work, but hey,....... its just a piece of wire!

My teeny, tiny travel kit for an iP7 and an iPad Air 2 includes
  1. Anker 2 port dual voltage USB charger
  2. Qty 2 Apple Lightning cords 2m / 10 ft long (easily long enough to reach desktop or bed)
  3. My custom "shorty" extension cord (as above)
  4. Country specific plug adapter

This little kit is in a small mesh zipper 4.5" x 6" bag, with the thickest part being the @ 1.5" thickness of the small Anker charger.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JT8D-217
For close to 20 years, Mrs JT8D and I have been using $2 standard US extension cords cut to leave female 3-tap receptacle end and replace the plug end with a standard replacement US male plug. The "shorty" cord has a total overall length of 8". The US male plug can then be plugged into a standard plug adapter for the country we're in.

This little device extends the receptacle end out from the wall outlet and its congestion and provides 3 female US receptacles. (Works in congested gatehouses too, as you can plug in the existing person's cord and also accommodate yours.) I only regularly use this for two small Apple devices.

Obviously, this shorty setup does NOT include surge protectors or voltage transformers in the extension cord. But no smoke, no sparks, no warm or hot wires. I'm sure that some EE will explain to me that this can't possibly work, but hey,....... its just a piece of wire!

My teeny, tiny travel kit for an iP7 and an iPad Air 2 includes
  1. Anker 2 port dual voltage USB charger
  2. Qty 2 Apple Lightning cords 2m / 10 ft long (easily long enough to reach desktop or bed)
  3. My custom "shorty" extension cord (as above)
  4. Country specific plug adapter

This little kit is in a small mesh zipper 4.5" x 6" bag, with the thickest part being the @ 1.5" thickness of the small Anker charger.
I wish someone would make something similar to that but with a four-sided plug so there's much less issue with cubes interfering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.