Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay in Christchurch or go to Tekapo right away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Stay in Christchurch or go to Tekapo right away?

My mom is flying into Christchurch and then we're heading to Mt Cook as our first main stop.

The original plan was to spend the day in christchurch, let her rest, etc. etc. Note: I will already be in NZ, so no fatique/jetlag issues with me, who will be driving. She's arriving in the morning.

Now I'm wondering if we should just plan to spend the first night in Lake Tekapo (or somewhere else in that direction?) rather than "wasting" the day/night in Christchurch? I've yet to visit there myself but I just haven't heard a ton to see/do there.

What do you guys think?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
My mom is flying into Christchurch and then we're heading to Mt Cook as our first main stop.

The original plan was to spend the day in christchurch, let her rest, etc. etc. Note: I will already be in NZ, so no fatique/jetlag issues with me, who will be driving. She's arriving in the morning.

Now I'm wondering if we should just plan to spend the first night in Lake Tekapo (or somewhere else in that direction?) rather than "wasting" the day/night in Christchurch? I've yet to visit there myself but I just haven't heard a ton to see/do there.

What do you guys think?
Head for Tekapo. Christchurch is still in rebuild mode.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:27 am

Plenty of things to do in Christchurch. Not sure why the above commenter is still saying that we're in rebuild mode. The earthquake was more than six and a half years ago.

• International Antarctic Centre is definitely worth a visit and is right next to the airport. I'm not aware of anywhere else like it. Christchurch is a base of sorts to the American Antarctic program.
  • Christchurch is known as "the garden city" for a reason. The botanic gardens are nice if you are feeling like taking a stroll.
  • Willowbank Wildlife Reserve is worth a visit for animal lovers.
  • I believe the Air Force Mueseum is free to enter. Lots of history and you could spend a few hours there.
  • There is a gondola and tram which will show you around some of the parts of the inner city / port hills.

With that said, Tekapo is definitely worth a visit.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Plenty of things to do in Christchurch. Not sure why the above commenter is still saying that we're in rebuild mode. The earthquake was more than six and a half years ago.

• International Antarctic Centre is definitely worth a visit and is right next to the airport. I'm not aware of anywhere else like it. Christchurch is a base of sorts to the American Antarctic program.
  • Christchurch is known as "the garden city" for a reason. The botanic gardens are nice if you are feeling like taking a stroll.
  • Willowbank Wildlife Reserve is worth a visit for animal lovers.
  • I believe the Air Force Mueseum is free to enter. Lots of history and you could spend a few hours there.
  • There is a gondola and tram which will show you around some of the parts of the inner city / port hills.

With that said, Tekapo is definitely worth a visit.
It’s a long way from being “finished” and is still basically a building site, with orange cones the most common sight. Give it another five years.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:11 am

All of the above things have literally nothing to do with orange cones. I'm not sure what your point is? Have you even visited Christchurch recently?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
All of the above things have literally nothing to do with orange cones. I'm not sure what your point is? Have you even visited Christchurch recently?
Unfortunately, yes.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Christchurch was our jumping-off point for our New Zealand trip a little less than 2 years back. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped it entirely and started somewhere else on the South Island.
Eltham likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Accommodation has cancellation, but right now it's:
- Stay in CHC night 1
- Drive stopover in Tekapo, through to Mt. Cook village night 2.

My mom has an interest in the gondola and botanical garden. The antarctic centre could be interesting.

Think we should try to do at least some if not all of those and hit tekapo for night 1, or leave as-is? It doesn't seem like there is a ton to do in tekapo (many seem to treat it as a stopover) apart from the stargazing, which we hope to have the opportunity to do in mt cook anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- Stay in CHC night 1

My mom has an interest in the gondola and botanical garden. The antarctic centre could be interesting.
What time of day does the flight arrive?
How long is/are the flight/flights to CHC?
1 night seems OK to me
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What time of day does the flight arrive?
How long is/are the flight/flights to CHC?
1 night seems OK to me
She arrives around 9am (I'll be there at least the day before). It's about 24hr travel time to get there!

I guess just figuring out if it's best to spend the night in CHC and a longer drive into Mt Cook the next, or try to see a bit of CHC but get a head start to tekapo same day...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
- Stay in CHC night 1

Think we should try to do at least some if not all of those and hit tekapo for night 1, or leave as-is? It doesn't seem like there is a ton to do in tekapo (many seem to treat it as a stopover) apart from the stargazing, which we hope to have the opportunity to do in mt cook anyway.
The antarctic center is interesting. as are the botanic gardens and the museum. There is also rutherford's den museum, which is pretty interesting, the earthquake experience museum in the middle of town which really gives you insight into what happened.. If you are in the botanic garden, punting on the avon is also nice.. a short ride on the river... so, yes it is not the most exciting part of NZ, but there are things to do.. there is also the cardboard cathedral, and the memorial to the people who perished in the earthquake, it is a set of empty white chairs of all types and some poems and writings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.