Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Yes, maybe, no - as you can light rail and train it to the airport but you'd have to cross your fingers that sydney trains doesn't have any issues that day.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:01 pm

With a meeting ending at 0830 near Darling Harbour, battling city traffic and then the crowds at SYD, you would need to be very lucky to catch a 1030 flight to ICN.

Not impossible, but also not recommended

Originally Posted by Duke787
Going to be in Sydney for work in a few weeks. My last meeting is scheduled to finish about 830am down by Darling Harbor -- is that enough time to make it to SYD and take the 12pm DL flight?

I know QF 7 is at ~1pm that day which would be doable but as DL PM, my preference is DL (though C+ is looking bleak on SYD - LAX though should clear at booking for LAX - RDU) over the QF A380 to DFW (perhaps mistakenly) and the shorter connection time / flow through of SYD - LAX - RDU on DL vs. SYD - DFW - RDU which has a lengthy layover at DFW.

EDIT: To add I assume that trying to make an 11:30 on UA (because confirmable R space available on SYD - SFO beats my DL loyalty preference) is not feasible

Second Edit: Would I be able to make the 10:30am SYD - ICN flight on OZ?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Yes, maybe, no - as you can light rail and train it to the airport but you'd have to cross your fingers that sydney trains doesn't have any issues that day.
Originally Posted by puchong
With a meeting ending at 0830 near Darling Harbour, battling city traffic and then the crowds at SYD, you would need to be very lucky to catch a 1030 flight to ICN.

Not impossible, but also not recommended
Thank you! I'll stick with the DL flight at 12pm. Exit row aisle is open which is doable for the long flight.

One other question though: On the way in I snagged LAX - SYD on UA due to confirmable upgrade space but my final destination is MEL for the first part of the trip (no upgrade space on UA direct). There's no question that I'll be taking VA domestically (DL PM so it's a no brainer) but trying to figure out how long I should leave between flights. UA 839 is schedule to land at 745am local time.

Not sure if I'm checking a bag yet -- this is a 10 day work trip so I may take one. I see options at 9:30, 10, 11, and 12pm -- I have VA lounge access and would like a shower anyway, plus since I'll be on separate ticket I'm not protected for IRROPs out of LAX on UA 839. My initial thought is 10 seems potentially doable but 11am might be safer?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other question though: On the way in I snagged LAX - SYD on UA due to confirmable upgrade space but my final destination is MEL for the first part of the trip (no upgrade space on UA direct). There's no question that I'll be taking VA domestically (DL PM so it's a no brainer) but trying to figure out how long I should leave between flights. UA 839 is schedule to land at 745am local time.

Not sure if I'm checking a bag yet -- this is a 10 day work trip so I may take one. I see options at 9:30, 10, 11, and 12pm -- I have VA lounge access and would like a shower anyway, plus since I'll be on separate ticket I'm not protected for IRROPs out of LAX on UA 839. My initial thought is 10 seems potentially doable but 11am might be safer?
The normal safe recommendation for an early morning international arrival to a separate domestic flight is 3:00. But you may do it in 75~90min. 3:00 allows for some arrival delay & slow immigration. Your risk. Or buy a flexible ticket.
UA 839 arrived on time today & 10 minutes late yesterday.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

SYD international -> domestic is a pain It's a bus transfer and takes some time. You are right that 10 am is do-able but if you want a shower, go for the 11 am.

You should be able to turn left after clearing customs and go to the VA transfer desks. There you can recheck your bag (if applicable) and get a pass for the VA bus. That should be the easiest way IMO.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The normal safe recommendation for an early morning international arrival to a separate domestic flight is 3:00. But you may do it in 75~90min. 3:00 allows for some arrival delay & slow immigration. Your risk. Or buy a flexible ticket.
UA 839 arrived on time today & 10 minutes late yesterday.
Okay thanks. Oddly since this roundtrip will be purely a domestic trip (SYD - MEL - SYD), I can't buy actually buy a flexible ticket (our corporate policy requires flexible for international but not for domestic tickets and the difference in cost between to the two pushes it out of policy).

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
SYD international -> domestic is a pain It's a bus transfer and takes some time. You are right that 10 am is do-able but if you want a shower, go for the 11 am.

You should be able to turn left after clearing customs and go to the VA transfer desks. There you can recheck your bag (if applicable) and get a pass for the VA bus. That should be the easiest way IMO.
Okay thanks -- I'll go for the 11am. Makes it more likely I can check into the hotel straight away when I get to Melbourne too and can have a shower and coffee.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Being a DL PM, as long as you aren't on the cheapest fare class (Getaway), you can probably get VA to put you on the earlier flight for free. I don't know if it is a published benefit for partner gold (which is what DL PM is), but VA Golds can do this I believe, so it is worth asking. You might lose a good seat though.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:20 pm

Can anyone give me a sense of Saturday traffic from the CBD to the airport for purposes of timing a taxi? We'll be at the Hyatt near Darling Harbor. We have tickets for an event at the zoo that ends around 10:45 and our flight is at 1:35 from the international terminal. The plan was to pack our bags and leave them at the front desk and have a cab meet us to bring us to the airport at 11:00, but some friends I just spoke to said that 2:35 is way too little for Sydney international. I was sort of thinking that on a Saturday it should be an easy trip but now I'm concerned.

If we have to cancel the event, so be it, but the kids really want to eat breakfast with the koalas. What can you do? :0)

Scoot airlines departing SYD if it matters.

Last edited by lkar; Oct 24, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Which zoo? If Taronga Zoo, no chance. If Wildlife Zoo at Darling Harbour then you should be fine.

Quickest way way is to take Cross City Tunnel and then Eastern Distributor onto Southern Cross Drive. More tolls but it’ll be fine Saturday late morning.

You’ll miss peak hour at SYD international which is chaos by road.

It’ll be 30 mins which is fine. Hyatt will have plenty of taxis.
lkar likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:12 am

Yes, the wildlife zoo. Looks close to Hyatt.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:10 pm

If I am arriving on QF from AKL and transferring to EY to AUH at SYD, will I need to exit the airport and go to the ticket counter for a boarding pass?

It says mobile boarding pass isn't an option for SYD.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayoxd
If I am arriving on QF from AKL and transferring to EY to AUH at SYD, will I need to exit the airport and go to the ticket counter for a boarding pass?

It says mobile boarding pass isn't an option for SYD.
Is this 1 ticket/PNR or 2 separate tickets? [AA award?]
Checked baggage?

If 1 ticket/PNR and/or no checked baggage you should be OK. But do not rely on random internet posts: its your risk.

If separate itineraries and checked baggage then:- no. QF will not interline checked baggage on separate itineraries, other than QF to QF/EK
Link---> QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

You will need to allow a good amount of time to go through immigration, customs & bio security with all your checked & carry on bags. Then to EY check in and back through emigration.

Depending on your passport you may need an Australian visa for the little time you are in Australia (land side).
Even is airside transit worth your personal checking visa requirements.
Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs Click to open the wiki

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

(Note this more a question for the QF forum as involves QF interline policy)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:28 pm

Is this 1 ticket/PNR or 2 separate tickets? [AA award?]
Checked baggage?

If 1 ticket/PNR and/or no checked baggage you should be OK. But do not rely on random internet posts: its your risk.

If separate itineraries and checked baggage then:- no. QF will not interline checked baggage on separate itineraries, other than QF to QF/EK
Link---> QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

You will need to allow a good amount of time to go through immigration, customs & bio security with all your checked & carry on bags. Then to EY check in and back through emigration.

Depending on your passport you may need an Australian visa for the little time you are in Australia (land side).
Even is airside transit worth your personal checking visa requirements.
Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs Click to open the wiki

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

(Note this more a question for the QF forum as involves QF interline policy)
Thank you for your quick response.

1 PNR through AA award booking AKL > SYD > IAD. Yes to checked bagged.

I believe I am fine with the luggage being checked through and I will visit a transfer desk in SYD? My flight is also exactly 8 hours so I hope I won't have any visa issues... The agent who assisted my booking said this should be fine.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayoxd
Thank you for your quick response.

1 PNR through AA award booking AKL > SYD > IAD. Yes to checked bagged.

I believe I am fine with the luggage being checked through and I will visit a transfer desk in SYD? My flight is also exactly 8 hours so I hope I won't have any visa issues... The agent who assisted my booking said this should be fine.
This may get interesting, given EY is not OW or a QF partner. However would expect QF & EY have an interline agreement.
Check the link below :-- (Home Policy and) Guidelines Baggage Information Interline and Through Checked Baggage

Link---> https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

QF have an interline exception for awards (The "Yes*"). But to me not clear if only QF awards or all flights with awards (QF and partners)
The middle east partner of QF is EK. For information the middle east partner of Virgin Australia is EY.

Anyway with 8 hours you have plenty of time.
Enough time to take the train to Circular Quay, have a coffee, look at the bridge & opera house in the distance and then back to the airport.
May be worth getting an Australian visa as insurance:--->Free Australian ETA Visa application*

From what I have read on FT it should no issue getting the EY boarding pass at the transfer desk (but I have not done that: never needed to)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 30, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:41 pm

This may get interesting, given EY is not OW or a QF partner. However would expect QF & EY have an interline agreement.
Check the link below :-- (Home Policy and) Guidelines Baggage Information Interline and Through Checked Baggage

Link---> https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

QF have an interline exception for awards (The "Yes*"). But to me not clear if only QF awards or all flights with awards (QF and partners)
The middle east partner of QF is EK. For information the middle east partner of Virgin Australia is EY.

Anyway with 8 hours you have plenty of time.
Enough time to take the train to Circular Quay, have a coffee, look at the bridge & opera house in the distance and then back to the airport.
May be worth getting an Australian visa as insurance:--->Free Australian ETA Visa application*

From what I have read on FT it should no issue getting the EY boarding pass at the transfer desk (but I have not done that: never needed to)
So the baggage situation might be good. It says JFK as the destination on the tag but the check in agent said it would only go to Sydney.

I'm currently on hold on the phone with Qantas waiting to confirm...

As for me, I'm stranded without a BP because the no one is at the transfer desk for Etihad and the gate opens an hour prior (for me to get a BP / I can't exit since I don't have a Visa though my mom [with the checked luggaged] does have a Visa. Thankfully the Amex lounge let me in as an arrival lounge so I'm not completely stranded.

Miserable experience before flying in the apartments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.