Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Not sure how reliable UA's flight is. If it was NZ (flights are rarely delayed departing SFO), then 3 hours for separate tickets would be okay. This gives a buffer for small delays on arrival, clearing immigration & customs (can be really busy at times), transfer to the domestic terminal (10 minute walk in the open or allow 20 minutes if bus needed due to bad weather) and check in at domestic terminal for NZ or JQ (jetstar) before the flight closes.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
we are renting a car at ROT and returning it to AKL. Would it be safe to assume that Uber would be able to pickup at a rental return location?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

Question Auckland Airport prepaid sim card - within security?

Hi, quick question. Transiting at AKL onto Christchurch and have a few hours to kill. Are there any places we can pick up a prepaid sim card within security, or do we have to leave the security area?

Also, what would be the best network for the South Island (it seems the prices are roughly the same).

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: NZ*S
You have to leave security to get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal (10 min walk) after clearing customs and biosecurity anyway.

If you plan on moving a bit of data I'd suggest spark, because you get access to free 1gb/day at the wifi hotspots at many of the spark payphones around the place.

Last edited by SpannerSpinner; Jan 22, 2017 at 10:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

You will go landside on arrival at AKL - clear immigration and customs. Once landside you can pick up SIM card at the counters.

You will also have a terminal transfer (10 minute walk or bus) and then security before your onward flight to Christchurch.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:13 pm

Thanks all.

Presently in the Air New Zealand domestic lounge.

Picked up SIM card just after customs before walking over to the domestic terminal.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by number_6
Don't know about AKL but Uber is banned from WLG airport so there is a good chance that AKL also prohibits Uber pickups. Your phone will tell you in the Uber app if it is a no-go zone.
WLG uber pickup point is the Burger King about 200m from the terminal.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
we are renting a car at ROT and returning it to AKL. Would it be safe to assume that Uber would be able to pickup at a rental return location?
yes
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Have to get from the int'l arrivals to the nearby Holiday Inn, should I take the shared shuttle ($6/person), or Uber? Uber shows up just fine in the app and is only a dollar or two more then the shuttle for two...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You will go landside on arrival at AKL - clear immigration and customs. Once landside you can pick up SIM card at the counters.

You will also have a terminal transfer (10 minute walk or bus) and then security before your onward flight to Christchurch.
Variant of the same questions as others are asking in the thread, for anybody who can tell me what's probably obvious.

Arriving from SYD on NZ J, continuing on to ZQN on NZ domestic on a separate ticket four and a half hours later.
  1. It sounds like one transfers one's own bags between international and domestic terminals, so it's not even worth trying to check anything through?
  2. Does this combination of travel plans allow access to the domestic lounge?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by puls
Variant of the same questions as others are asking in the thread, for anybody who can tell me what's probably obvious.

Arriving from SYD on NZ J, continuing on to ZQN on NZ domestic on a separate ticket four and a half hours later.
  1. It sounds like one transfers one's own bags between international and domestic terminals, so it's not even worth trying to check anything through?
  2. Does this combination of travel plans allow access to the domestic lounge?
Air NZ won't through check bags and in any case you need to collect them at AKL and take through customs.

If the flight to ZQN is on NZ then you can use their domestic checkin/bag drop in the check in area of the international terminal (turn right after exiting customs and the kiosks are in the first zone, zone A).

For the benefit of others, if the domestic flight is not on NZ (or it is on NZ but departure time is under 1 hour away) then you need to bring your luggage to the domestic terminal and check in there.

As for lounge access, not on separate tickets (unless have *G status).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
NZ Lounge Access

I'm StarAlliance Gold, with a couple of questions regarding NZ lounge access:

1. Not flying NZ on my international journey. Will they allow me in the lounge?

2. Flying NZ on domestic journey (two flights). Will I get lounge access as Gold for departure and arrival cities?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by 747FC

2. Flying NZ on domestic journey (two flights). Will I get lounge access as Gold for departure and arrival cities?

Many thanks!
Star alliance gold members have lounge access when flying on any Star alliance flight. The only exclusion is UA star gold members flying in the USA.

Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance

So you can access the NZ lounge if you are flying NZ or a Star Alliance airline. If not flying them, then no, you can't...

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Originally Posted by 747FC

Many thanks!
Star alliance gold members have lounge access when flying on any Star alliance flight. The only exclusion is UA star gold members flying in the USA.

Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
So you can access the NZ lounge unless if you are flying NZ or a Star Alliance airline. If not flying them, then no, you can't...
At the AKL international terminal you cannot access the lounges (on the departure side) on arrival. International arrivals & departures are physically separated.

Would not be expecting "arrival" access. On departure only with an Air NZ / Star Alliance flight

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 21, 2018 at 1:57 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.