Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In NZ & Australia international arrivals and international departures are physically separate. At AKL after international arrival you cannot access any of the (better) AKL international departure lounges. So you will not have a choice. Will only be the Air NZ domestic lounge over in the domestic terminal. The International and domestic terminals are a 12 minute walk or a free bus trip apart.

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in...-from-overseas
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/eat-and-relax
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/ea.../strata-lounge
From 2019 (not up to date)-->https://www.executivetraveller.com/y...tional-lounges

At CHC QF uses the third party Mania lounge. But if you are on a ~06:00 flight do not expect much. At that (unsociable) time are several international flights. So security and emigration can/will be busy~slow
Thank you!

Sounds like ANZ domestic AKL is *A Gold lounge…I appreciate it! Any shower opportunities?

Will give up ideal of CHC lounge due to early morning departure. Will do CHC SYD LAX. Are staying at CHC airport hotel. Thoughts on arrival time to QF counter for check in? No checked bags. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Thank you!

Sounds like ANZ domestic AKL is *A Gold lounge…I appreciate it! Any shower opportunities?

Will give up ideal of CHC lounge due to early morning departure. Will do CHC SYD LAX. Are staying at CHC airport hotel. Thoughts on arrival time to QF counter for check in? No checked bags. Thanks!
There are showers in akl domestic lounge.

Chc early morning is busy so expect it to take an hour (or more) to check in, clear immigration and security.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There are showers in akl domestic lounge.

Chc early morning is busy so expect it to take an hour (or more) to check in, clear immigration and security.
Thank You!
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CHC international - off topic

Looking at CHC international departures 30 Apr
06:00 QF138 SYD
06:00 NZ211 MEL
06:30 NZ201 BNE
06:30 QF132 MEL
All are B737/B320 size
QF check in will open 3:00hrs before departure. People will be waiting to check in
NZ security/emigration will open 2:00hrs before departure (or may be 90min). People will be waiting at security.
Business class will not help much. The issue is always security. The emigration kiosks and manual desks seem to keep up with security. Hopefully will have 2 lines of security machines open. But most of the time for me has only been 1 line open afternoon/evening. It will be busy so do not take much of a risk.

A little abnormal-- https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...taffed-airport
The queue for international passport control at Christchurch Airport stretches across the terminal at 4.50am on Tuesday.
The third image is looking towards the international security area (know it well)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 30, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Old May 4, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Looking at CHC international departures 30 Apr
06:00 QF138 SYD
06:00 NZ211 MEL
06:30 NZ201 BNE
06:30 QF132 MEL
All are B737/B320 size
QF check in will open 3:00hrs before departure. People will be waiting to check in
NZ security/emigration will open 2:00hrs before departure (or may be 90min). People will be waiting at security.
Business class will not help much. The issue is always security. The emigration kiosks and manual desks seem to keep up with security. Hopefully will have 2 lines of security machines open. But most of the time for me has only been 1 line open afternoon/evening. It will be busy so do not take much of a risk.

A little abnormal-- https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...taffed-airport

The third image is looking towards the international security area (know it well)
Thank you! We will not push it in the morning. Appreciate the insight!!
Old May 11, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I arrive in AKL on NZ from YVR @ 05:45AM. I booked J AKL-MEL @ 3:45PM. There is a 9:45AM OF AKL- MEL. My NZ is on time will like to get on that flight.
1. Will I have to clear customs if I am connect from international to international?
2. No check bags. Will I b e able to get my QF BP in QF lounge and not have to clear customs?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suspect it will many years before one integrated domsetic international terminal.
Major NZ projects tend to have very poor definition and massive cost & time overruns and interference from a range of random others ($$$$)

17 Aug 2023 (rnz.co.nz)-->Auckland Airport reveals its $10 billion improvement plan

Auckland Airport has laid out its 10-year, $10-billion capital improvement plan, which will cover the cost of an integrated domestic terminal.
The regulated spending of $2.6b for the period covering 2023 to 2027 was subject to review by the Commerce Commission, with the charges passed on to airlines and their passengers. A further $3.1b in regulated charges would follow in the next five-year period ending 2033.

While the planned spending does not cover the cost of building a second runway, money had been set aside to re-establish a contingent runway that would be used when the main runway was upgraded in 2028.
<snip>
Among the mix of the airport's regulated and unregulated projects was a new cargo precinct, upgraded roading, an expanded international arrivals hall and expansion of the domestic airfield.
<snip>
07 Aug 2023 AKL airport---> Building a strong foundation for the future of domestic travel
Progress in Auckland Airport's new domestic terminal with test piling underway

Test piles bored up to 11 storeys deep into the airfield signal a major milestone as a brand-new domestic terminal at Auckland Airport goes into the final stages of design.

Across the 30,000m2 footprint of the new domestic terminal, to be completely integrated into the existing international terminal, more than 14 test piles are being drilled up into the ground.

André Lovatt, Chief Infrastructure Officer at Auckland Airport, said information gathered from the test piles will help design the 600 or so piles that will form the foundations of the up to 28m high building and the 240m long aircraft pier.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 16, 2023 at 7:05 pm
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:02 am

Connecting time, Domestic to International

I hv a flight from CHC to AKL scheduled to arrive 9.25am and AKL to SIN scheduled to depart 11.05am. Flights were bought on AirNZ and this was the schedule they sold. Since the flights are on a single booking, i would assume no issue with checking luggage through but wondering if I would have enough time to clear security to make my international flight? Starting to panic now as also travelling during peak period on 26 Dec
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by singflier
I have a flight from CHC to AKL scheduled to arrive 9.25am and AKL to SIN scheduled to depart 11.05am. Flights were bought on AirNZ and this was the schedule they sold. Since the flights are on a single booking, I would assume no issue with checking luggage through but wondering if I would have enough time to clear security to make my international flight? Starting to panic now as also travelling during peak period on 26 Dec
As booked on 1 ticket will be OK(1:40hr), but with little spare time. Bag will be interlined to the international flight.
From domestic to international walk the line (~12 minutes) or take the free inter terminal bus.'

SQ fly CHC SIN non stop.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 28, 2023 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:58 am

in the past I've successfully asked NZ to move me to an earlier domestic flight to give me more time in AKL for free
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
already asked similar Q on the Qantas forum but seeking wisdom of AKL gurus.

1) Can I check if international-international transfer/transit is manned 24hours? I'm still contemplating few options for MR but one is QF157 from MEL that lands to Auckland at 00:30 (past midnight) and i will be flying out next morning (6am QF140) so planning to remain airside. Got eTA so entry isn't an issue so I can enter NZ. I have been to AKL many times always with overnight stay.

2) another option is to do day-time back to back, is the transit area staff going to hard-time for arriving from SYD and flying to SYD again? or they won't check my arrival boarding pass as long as I have my AKL-SYD boarding pass?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Intl transit is not manned late at night so your choices on arrival 0030 are an uncomfortable 4 hour wait in a corridor with no seating or go landside.

There are others who do daytime turn so don't worry. The main concern is you have an intl flight departing akl that day.
fakecd likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Showers and Baggage Storage

Hello all,
I would like to take a shower when I arrive from the US. I am connecting to a domestic flight that evening and I plan on doing a tour. I was looking at the AKL website and it says that showers in the international terminal are closed for renovations. Does anyone know if the domestic terminal showers are open? I was also looking to store my bag (I guess I could check it but I like to carry on) in Secure Travel lockers. I was looking at the domestic terminal map and I don't see a marking for it - it just says in the domestic airport carpark on the Secure Travel website. Just trying to plan! Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:01 pm

you won't be able to get through the international airside unless you are transiting, otherwise you'll go straight thru customs and immigration.
the showers in the domestic airnz lounge are decent and usually available.

as for bag storage, there are storage lockers in either Domestic (the food court end) or International (Door 3) - https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in...ggage-services
Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Intl transit is not manned late at night so your choices on arrival 0030 are an uncomfortable 4 hour wait in a corridor with no seating or go landside.

There are others who do daytime turn so don't worry. The main concern is you have an intl flight departing akl that day.
thanks, thats what i gathered. airport website does say its manned from 2-230am, kind of random slot and not sure, i go with your opinion the "corridor" wud remain empty till 430am. as to going landside just didnt waant to bother with biosecurity and all that processing if i could have avoided.

good to see same day turn around is frequent and they are used to such wierdos. Some airports make it hard for MR

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in...ivals%2024%2F7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.