Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Singapore Air, Southwest
Post Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

I am arriving at Auckland International in January from Brisbane. I would like to use Uber to get to my hotel in the CBD from the airport. However, there seems some confusions as to whether Uber can officially pick up from there. Anyone have some knowledge here?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Don't know about AKL but Uber is banned from WLG airport so there is a good chance that AKL also prohibits Uber pickups. Your phone will tell you in the Uber app if it is a no-go zone.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I googled 'Uber Auckland Airport' and found this article which states they are not allowed at the airport as of April 2016, unless the driver is registered.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11623196

Is there a particular reason you want to make sure Uber is available? I would just try the app when you arrive, if it doesn't work take a taxi. They accept credit cards.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 26, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:12 pm

Nov 25, 16 UBER experience at AKL.

So we traveled LAX - BNE - AKL - BNE - LAX (Nov 18 - 27)..Just came back this morning.

My trip from AKL to CBD (Best western) was booked by Best Western for a Alert Taxi for Nov 20 arrival from BNE and cost me $65 NZD at 2 AM which I think is reasonable.

However we made a Kiwirail trip to WLG and come back WLG - AKL by JetAir on Nov 25 . Just a day trip to WLG.

We arrived at AKL around 8 PM and thought we should try UBER. Uber lets you chose the airport as pickup(mine was domestic in this case). The driver immediately called and said UBER is banned from AKL pickup but he asked me to meet at a gas station outside and gave me directions. I said I am new to AKL and don't want to walk to a gas station so he casually drove around to the taxi pickup area outside the airport and sneaked us into his car ( which was a Prius). Happy we spend only $40 nzd getting to CBD from airport.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
We arrived at AKL around 8 PM and thought we should try UBER. Uber lets you chose the airport as pickup(mine was domestic in this case). The driver immediately called and said UBER is banned from AKL pickup but he asked me to meet at a gas station outside and gave me directions. I said I am new to AKL and don't want to walk to a gas station so he casually drove around to the taxi pickup area outside the airport and sneaked us into his car ( which was a Prius). Happy we spend only $40 nzd getting to CBD from airport.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you have a NZ number? I was curious if the driver would call an overseas number if it came up.

From the article I linked below, it sounds like Uber is not banned from the Airport, but the drivers have to register (and pay) to pick up there. So the driver you had may not have been exactly truthful, but at least you were able to get there!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you have a NZ number? I was curious if the driver would call an overseas number if it came up.

From the article I linked below, it sounds like Uber is not banned from the Airport, but the drivers have to register (and pay) to pick up there. So the driver you had may not have been exactly truthful, but at least you were able to get there!

I had US number and almost all Uber drivers called me before picking me up from various locations.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
At Auckland international I ask Uber to pick me up from the Novotel across the road from arrivals by their entrance. Haven't had any problems.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Q for AKL experts

Hi there,

I hope this is the right forum for my question - apologies if not.

I am looking at a transfer at AKL on two separate tickets only with hand luguage.
Coming in around 23:30 on QF leaving around 1:00 on SQ.
Is it possible to use the transfer gate at gate 2, go to the transfer desk and get the boarding pass and get to the gate on time - all without leaving airside or the need to do immigration? It's on two completely separate tickets.

I would think it could work but would like insights from the experts here.

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes possible but if QF is late so you misconnect then you're on your own.

BTW the 1am flight to SIN is SQ codeshare on Air NZ flight.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: NZ Koru
What Australian port are you coming in from? from SYD,BNE,MEL there is typically an flight that gets into AKL around 8-10pm which might be an safer bet.

I wouldn't risk it, AKL is very busy at that time of Night with Tasman/Pacific aka more flights arriving than gates
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Member

Good point, normally AKL is reasonably efficient but I once had it take an hour from landing until deplaning due to delay in getting a gate. So delay for another plane could affect your connection, and with separate tickets there isn't a minute to spare in the original schedule. I'd change to an earlier flight unless not caring about missing the SQ plane (also in the past SQ tends to be overbooked and looking for an excuse to offload pax, esp. on codeshares ... so don't expect any grace period on checkin time).
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
Good point, normally AKL is reasonably efficient but I once had it take an hour from landing until deplaning due to delay in getting a gate. So delay for another plane could affect your connection, and with separate tickets there isn't a minute to spare in the original schedule. I'd change to an earlier flight unless not caring about missing the SQ plane (also in the past SQ tends to be overbooked and looking for an excuse to offload pax, esp. on codeshares ... so don't expect any grace period on checkin time).
While remote stands are more common at AKL than previously, it usually results in minimal delay to reach the terminal. The bus doesn't have far to go. (May be longer delay to clear immigration & customs, but these aren't relevant to the OP.)

The continuing flight is Air NZ - SQ will have nothing to do with check in for this.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I am arriving AKL at 8:55 AM on United from SFO. We plan to transfer to Queenstown on Air NZ. How much do I need for the transfer? We might have one checked bag. Should I consider refundable tickets for AKL to Queenstown?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Member

Refundable tickets are often no longer refundable on the day of travel -- they have a clause for a "no show" charge and require cancellation 24 hours ahead ... so check the terms carefully. Time of year affects the answer, both for likelihood of delays SFO-AKL (isn't UA suspending that flight for the next 6 months or so?) and delays into ZQN. Only safe way is to allow overnight in AKL on separate tickets, otherwise normally 2 hours is sufficient connecting time and 3 hours max.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: NZ*S
Air NZ domestic tickets can be booked in "flexitime" for $30 more than a seat only fare so you can move to an earlier or later flight on the same route on the same day. So you could book an AKL-ZQN flight with decent safety margin, and if your flight arrives on-time or early you can change to an earlier flight if there are seats available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.