Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samadeus
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post - I just wanted some expertise from any Kiwis about Auckland airport customs, but feel free to tell me to delete (or where is best to post) if I have got this incorrect.

I have a biz CX flight that arrives AKL 11:55am, and then my onward flight to PPT is at 3:30pm with Air Tahiti Nui. I booked this latter flight through Qantas, but it is a separate ticket to the CX flight from HKG. I spoke with Cathay and they said they would not be able to check my bags through.

If someone could help with this question, I'd be very grateful: is 3hrs 30mins enough time to clear customs, collect luggage and then re-check-in for the AKL-PPT flight? I am a UK passport holder, which I hope make immigration a bit smoother. If it's too tight, I need to see if I can change my flight to the day before or only go with hand luggage. I'm not sure if there are any additional checks at AKL which may significantly slow the customs clearance process.
You will need to meet the full requirements for entry to NZ. Depending on passport even air side transit can need a NZeTA.
FT thread-->NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Do you have a Plan B if CX is very late?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you Mwenenzi, didn't know about the NZeTA (this trip is in a couple of months, so sorting it all out now) - that's really helpful to know.

If the CX flight is really delayed (from its history, it seems ok - and Cathay are pretty reliable, but still..) - then I'll have to find another way to PPT, and we'll stay with a friend in Auckland instead. Would be a bit of a disaster for the first part of our trip, but I know (from past experience) that such things can happen (even connecting flights on the same ticket before), so would just have to deal with it! Or buy a boat...
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ *G
I expect you’ll be fine.

NZ passport holding arriving passengers can use e-gates at Auckland, so queues for Immigration are usually pretty short - I’d be surprised if you wait more than 5-10 minutes (unless you get stuck in a queue of other non-NZ passport holders), and it could easily be less, especially if you’re one of the first off the flight. I suggest you check if UK passport holders can use the e-gates - I doubt it, but don’t know.

There can be longer delays for Customs after you collect your bag, as everyone goes through there (even with different lines). Customs can take 10-20 minutes or even more if things are busy.

Once you exit to landside you need to turn right and walk about 100m along the terminal to the international departures check in area (which is on the same level as you’ll exit after Customs).

As you’ll know, check in is usually 2 hours before the flight but it will be open earlier. If your flight is on time you could easily get from plane to check in within 30 minutes on a good day, and 60 minutes on a bad day.

After check in you’ll need to go up one level, do another security check and Immigration departure. That normally takes no more than 10-15 minutes, so you’ll have plenty of time for the Koru Lounge (if you’ve got access to it) or the airside shops.
samadeus likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
UK passport holders can use egates.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bce1
UK passport holders can use egates.
Any many others.
NZ Govt--->NZ eGate

In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China (excluding Hong Kong)
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands
  • Singapore
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • United Kingdom
  • United States.
gratn, mangoMan and samadeus like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 26, 2023 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you everyone for this really useful information for me - hopefully useful to others as well. Very much appreciated
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Any many others.
NZ Govt--->NZ eGate

In July have to be in Mel.

I have my NZ ETA .

Looking strongly @ booking MXP-AKL-MXP ( Have to renew my OZ ETA in April the fare is non-refundable )

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

YVR-AKL on NZ 23 arrives @ 5:45AM

Will have to book separate tix AKL-MEL-AKL.

1. AKL-MEL on NZ 8:50AM would it be safe ? No check Bags, Hold Canadian passport
2. If NZ 23 is late would NZ protect me on NZ 125 @ 12:45PM

You guidance is appreciated. Thank you
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
In July have to be in Mel.
I have my NZ ETA .
Looking strongly @ booking MXP-AKL-MXP ( Have to renew my OZ ETA in April the fare is non-refundable )
Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz
YVR-AKL on NZ 23 arrives @ 5:45AM

Will have to book separate tix AKL-MEL-AKL.

1. AKL-MEL on NZ 8:50AM would it be safe ? No check Bags, Hold Canadian passport
2. If NZ 23 is late would NZ protect me on NZ 125 @ 12:45PM

You guidance is appreciated. Thank you
1. 05:45 to 08:50 so 3:05hr to transfer.
06:00 - 08:00 a busy time for long haul wide body arrivals. Would want to get the AKL MEL boarding pass air side, but no idea if possible. Could take some time if need to go landside and back airside.
International arrivals for today https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl...-international
06:00 NZ5 LAX
06:00 NZ7 SFO
06:05 NZ174 PER
06:15 NZ23 YVR
06:40 NZ288 PVG
06:45 NZ29 IAH
07:70 NZ1 JFK
07:45 AA35 DFW
On the day you travel flights will/may be different.
From a small sample NZ23 is late as often as early. Been cancelled a few times.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ23
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz23.

2. Will depend on fare t&c's. Generally "no". So will depend on the goodwill of staff and your credit card.

=======
So will depend on your luck on the day. May work - may not work. What is your attitude to risk?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 26, 2023 at 2:45 pm
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1. 05:45 to 08:50 so 2:55hr to transfer.
06:00 - 08:00 a busy time for long haul wide body arrivals. Would want to get the AKL MEL boarding pass air side, but no idea if possible. Could take some time if need to go landside and back airside.
International arrivals for today https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl...-international
06:00 NZ5 LAX
06:00 NZ7 SFO
06:05 NZ174 PER
06:15 NZ23 YVR
06:40 NZ288 PVG
06:45 NZ29 IAH
07:70 NZ1 JFK
07:45 AA35 DFW
On the day you travel flights will/may be different.
From a small sample NZ23 is late as often as early. Been cancelled a few times.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ23
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz23.

2. Will depend on fare t&c's. Generally "no". So will depend on the goodwill of staff and your credit card.

=======
So will depend on your luck on the day. May work - may not work. What is your attitude to risk?
I weigh all pros and cons before deciding to take risk or not.
1. If NZ cancels the flight ; will NZ protect me via SFO/LAX if there is no flight YVR-AKL next day?
2. Would it be wise to book :
NZ 5 LAX-AKL or NZ 7 SFO-AKL , which one of these be less risky than YVR-AKL? ( BTW, in June& Jul NZ is the only flight to AKL. AC YVR-AKL flight ends in Mar.)

Reason I was looking @ YVR-AKL , I will have to book AC to the west coast. AC has more flights to YVR.

Instead of revenue tix AKL-MEL; I book a UA award tix; as 1K i can change up to 1 hour before flight.

Your recommendation would be appreciated.
Thank you!!!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: RFC
Do you have a Plan B if CX is very late?
That's what travel insurance is for.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Flying Fiji Airways tomorrow out of AKL. I'm getting emails from Fiji Airways saying I should arrive 3 hours early because they are processing check in and bag check manually due to damages from the floods. Could this still be true? We are flying in J so figure 2 hours before the flight should be plenty. Any recent experiences?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Flying Fiji Airways tomorrow out of AKL. I'm getting emails from Fiji Airways saying I should arrive 3 hours early because they are processing check in and bag check manually due to damages from the floods. Could this still be true? We are flying in J so figure 2 hours before the flight should be plenty. Any recent experiences?
Yep the airport still hasn't fixed everything e.g. the AirNZ premium checkin I believe is still closed for example.

I don't know how much the baggage system they have got back online as the damage outstripped the on hand spares and just like all supply chains at the moment everything is slow.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
At airport now. FJ check-in was quick. But there was no premium line for passport control and security. That took about 40 minutes. Only half of the security check points were open.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:25 pm

Hi All,

About to do SFO AKL on UA J. Then AKL ZQN in ANZ Y. Am UA 1K/*A Gold. Thoughts on best/most appropriate lounge in AKL during our 5 hour layover? Bonus points for lounge with shower facilities.

Same question for our outbound leg CHC SYD on QF J. Too early of a departure though (staying at airport hotel) so no worries if no lounge at CHC.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
About to do SFO AKL on UA J. Then AKL ZQN in ANZ Y. Am UA 1K/*A Gold. Thoughts on best/most appropriate lounge in AKL during our 5 hour layover? Bonus points for lounge with shower facilities.

Same question for our outbound leg CHC SYD on QF J. Too early of a departure though (staying at airport hotel) so no worries if no lounge at CHC.
In NZ & Australia international arrivals and international departures are physically separate. At AKL after international arrival you cannot access any of the (better) AKL international departure lounges. So you will not have a choice. Will only be the Air NZ domestic lounge over in the domestic terminal. The International and domestic terminals are a 12 minute walk or a free bus trip apart.

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in...-from-overseas
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/eat-and-relax
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/ea.../strata-lounge
From 2019 (not up to date)-->https://www.executivetraveller.com/y...tional-lounges

At CHC QF uses the third party Mania lounge. But if you are on a ~06:00 flight do not expect much. At that (unsociable) time are several international flights. So security and emigration can/will be busy~slow

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 27, 2023 at 10:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.