Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney in a day -- would renting a car be crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
...Im not surewhat hertz has done recently but i was in melbourne and i couldnt get to the city from the airport without going thru some tolls and then i got 2 $33 charges. Dont rent a car.
You can pay the toll within 48 hours of travel without the $33 charge from Hertz, or Hertz has a flat daily charge (something like $10/day) which covers "unlimited" toll use. So these costs are easily avoidable with minimal effort. The speed cameras are no worse than in many US cities, which have it as a revenue source -- as they are in Victoria, less so in NSW. Having a car has many advantages in both cities, despite fairly good public transport systems, and cost is no higher than in most of the rest of the world.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
It looks like my family will have a one-day layover in SYD next year. We'd like to take the kids on a quick tour of the sights. I'd much prefer to just take the Airport Link into town. But even if I get a discount on the kids, the train is expensive. In contrast, I can pick up a rental car at the airport for basically nothing using my Hertz points. Would I regret doing so? And I recall there are some "cashless" tolls I might run into along the way. Would that be a hassle/expense to deal with?
Take a taxi or towncar, save yourself the expense and trouble of traffic and parking costs... We once rented a car in Sydney, pretty much found it useless. You could drive to the Blue Mountains, that would be a nice drive, or you could head North, also nice drive, but if you are staying right in the middle of Sydney CBD or surrounds, take public transport, for a 1 day trip much easier.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
You can pay the toll within 48 hours of travel without the $33 charge from Hertz, or Hertz has a flat daily charge (something like $10/day) which covers "unlimited" toll use. So these costs are easily avoidable with minimal effort. The speed cameras are no worse than in many US cities, which have it as a revenue source -- as they are in Victoria, less so in NSW. Having a car has many advantages in both cities, despite fairly good public transport systems, and cost is no higher than in most of the rest of the world.
Originally Posted by chris1gill
Take a taxi or towncar, save yourself the expense and trouble of traffic and parking costs... We once rented a car in Sydney, pretty much found it useless. You could drive to the Blue Mountains, that would be a nice drive, or you could head North, also nice drive, but if you are staying right in the middle of Sydney CBD or surrounds, take public transport, for a 1 day trip much easier.
Thanks for all the help. As I get closer to my travel date, I'm going to have to carefully consider the alternatives, because I can tell that there is definitely considerable "hassle" with driving a rental car around Sydney.

Of course, this is true everywhere. My pet peave at the moment is how many "civilized" democratic countries like to make their roads "police states." I'm currently fighting a $248 ticket for supposedly driving 10 miles over the speed limit on a desolate Texas interstate highway. And I was driving the "famous" New Jersey Turnpike this morning and the cops were using every trick in the book to pull motorists over: like lowering speeds to 45 mph for non-existent "construction" and then using un-marked cars to pull people over. I don't understand why we allow our governments to do this kind of thing.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The hassle is comparable to having a car in Manhattan (perhaps a good analogy, if you want to go to Brooklyn or Staten Island or even Yankee stadium, the car is handier than public transport despite NYC having a great transport system). One difference is that Sydney has quite a few attractions outside of the CBD, such as the Pyrmont fish market and Bondi Beach, that are easily reachable by car. But parking is expensive ($4/hour is the cheapest and it easily gets to $20/hour). Taxis are very expensive during heavy traffic, as the meter goes up by time as well as distance; I've had $10 taxi rides cost $50 due to traffic delays at peak times (much less of a problem in Melbourne compared to Sydney, by way of contrast). With a rental car your costs are predictable and capped, plus it is handy for storing stuff with a family your size.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Of course, this is true everywhere. My pet peave at the moment is how many "civilized" democratic countries like to make their roads "police states." I'm currently fighting a $248 ticket for supposedly driving 10 miles over the speed limit on a desolate Texas interstate highway. And I was driving the "famous" New Jersey Turnpike this morning and the cops were using every trick in the book to pull motorists over: like lowering speeds to 45 mph for non-existent "construction" and then using un-marked cars to pull people over. I don't understand why we allow our governments to do this kind of thing.
"Safety".

Maybe if you decide what you want to do in Sydney you'll get a better idea on whether you need a car or not?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by number_6
. One difference is that Sydney has quite a few attractions outside of the CBD, such as the Pyrmont fish market and Bondi Beach, that are easily reachable by car.
The Fish Market is just outside the CBD and there is a tram station across the road. There are several buses from the CBD to Bondi Beach.

With the high parking fee, speed trap & bus lane cameras, one way streets, no right turns etc etc I would rather use public transport unless I am going to certain areas in the suburbs which is not conveniently located.

Last edited by mario33; Oct 23, 2012 at 4:48 am
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:45 am

Thanks for all the help. As I get closer to my travel date, I'm going to have to carefully consider the alternatives, because I can tell that there is definitely considerable "hassle" with driving a rental car around Sydney.

Don't break the speed limit and you won't have a problem. Sydney has multiple speed cameras, unmarked police cars and special construction zones and school zones. It sounds like driving in Sydney is not for you.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Don't break the speed limit and you won't have a problem. Sydney has multiple speed cameras, unmarked police cars and special construction zones and school zones. It sounds like driving in Sydney is not for you.
Easier said than done.

"Police state" tactics tend to make fines pretty random -- especially for non-locals who don't understand the traps. Like I remember driving in rural Panama a year ago and getting a speeding ticket (which I didn't pay) because I was supposed to "know" that if I could see a house, the speed limit was "automatically" reduced even if no sign was posted.

Speed cameras inevitably pray on folks who are just driving a reasonable and customary speed and aren't fixated by a posted speed below those logical levels.

Of course, the "nice" thing about getting a ticket overseas is the option not to pay it.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: QF

Yeah, Sydney driving is not for you at all then. Whilst not as bad as Melbourne, they NSW gov't loves to place in speed traps, as well as things like bus lane camera's, and camera's inside variable speed zones, plus whilst I don't know if there are any between the airport and CBD they are also bringing in average speed camera's, in ther words if you get from point A to point B faster than they feel you should have been able they will hit you with a fine as well because at some point you'd have been speeding.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Again, the OP is with a family of five. With the screwy Sydney airport train pricing (a consequence of the airport stops having been privatised), a taxi from the domestic terminal to the CBD is cheaper than train tickets for two and a taxi from the international terminal to the CBD is a bit more expensive than two train tickets. With five people, a taxi makes far more sense for the OP than a train, and it'll be easy to get a minivan taxi at the airport. A few other markets, like Beijing and Hong Kong, have similar economics, with the train costing more than a taxi if you have three or more people.
I've read somewhere that the taxi fare from the airport to the CBD is under AU$40. True?

If that's the case, and I can get a MINIVAN taxi for that price (we're a family of 5, so we wouldn't likely fit in a regular cab), I think that's my solution. I assume I can also get a minivan taxi back to the airport. Do I call a cab company to reserve it?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I've read somewhere that the taxi fare from the airport to the CBD is under AU$40. True?

If that's the case, and I can get a MINIVAN taxi for that price (we're a family of 5, so we wouldn't likely fit in a regular cab), I think that's my solution. I assume I can also get a minivan taxi back to the airport. Do I call a cab company to reserve it?

Thanks for the help.
It looks like I was mistaken and the minivan taxi drivers can charge 150% of the normal fare if you have five or more passengers or pre-book a minivan taxi (called a "Maxicab" in Australia). It's still probably worth doing, however, as the train would cost you $68.80 each way for two adults and three children, while a minivan taxi would likely be between $60 and $70 if they charge you 150% of the meter. For a ride back to the airport, I'd try calling Silver Service taxi, as they use nicer cabs and more professional, uniformed drivers but charge the same fares as other taxis.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merrickdb
It looks like I was mistaken and the minivan taxi drivers can charge 150% of the normal fare if you have five or more passengers or pre-book a minivan taxi (called a "Maxicab" in Australia). It's still probably worth doing, however, as the train would cost you $68.80 each way for two adults and three children, while a minivan taxi would likely be between $60 and $70 if they charge you 150% of the meter. For a ride back to the airport, I'd try calling Silver Service taxi, as they use nicer cabs and more professional, uniformed drivers but charge the same fares as other taxis.
Thanks. Jeez, it's not easy to save a buck on Sydney transport.

This still MIGHT be my best airport transfer solution, but is there anyway to get a "Maxicab" at the regular cab rate? It would make me feel better about it. Kids count as regular pax, btw?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:24 am
Suspended

More like $50
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:32 am
Suspended

It would make me feel better about it.
If one of you were to take a shared shuttle (because the normal cab can't fit more than 4 of you), its $15 per passenger.

So even if you are hit with a 50% surcharge on a maxi cab, its only something like $25 (based on $50 fare). You are effectively paying only $10 extra to have everyone in one vehicle. Feel better ?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
This still MIGHT be my best airport transfer solution, but is there anyway to get a "Maxicab" at the regular cab rate?
No.

You could do something like this if you really need to save money.

http://www.airbussydney.com.au/?gcli...FYwdpQodlz8Atw

Family pack + extra ticket for third child is under $50. With five of you, hopefully you won't have to make too many stops at other hotels first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.