FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney in a day -- would renting a car be crazy?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:49 am
harvyk

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for all the help. As I get closer to my travel date, I'm going to have to carefully consider the alternatives, because I can tell that there is definitely considerable "hassle" with driving a rental car around Sydney.

Of course, this is true everywhere. My pet peave at the moment is how many "civilized" democratic countries like to make their roads "police states." I'm currently fighting a $248 ticket for supposedly driving 10 miles over the speed limit on a desolate Texas interstate highway. And I was driving the "famous" New Jersey Turnpike this morning and the cops were using every trick in the book to pull motorists over: like lowering speeds to 45 mph for non-existent "construction" and then using un-marked cars to pull people over. I don't understand why we allow our governments to do this kind of thing.
Yeah, Sydney driving is not for you at all then. Whilst not as bad as Melbourne, they NSW gov't loves to place in speed traps, as well as things like bus lane camera's, and camera's inside variable speed zones, plus whilst I don't know if there are any between the airport and CBD they are also bringing in average speed camera's, in ther words if you get from point A to point B faster than they feel you should have been able they will hit you with a fine as well because at some point you'd have been speeding.