Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney in a day -- would renting a car be crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It looks like my family will have a one-day layover in SYD next year. We'd like to take the kids on a quick tour of the sights. I'd much prefer to just take the Airport Link into town. But even if I get a discount on the kids, the train is expensive. In contrast, I can pick up a rental car at the airport for basically nothing using my Hertz points. Would I regret doing so? And I recall there are some "cashless" tolls I might run into along the way. Would that be a hassle/expense to deal with?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:39 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

I have rented and driven car in Sydney and is no different than driving in USA the roads are pretty nice I don't remember about the toll
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
It looks like my family will have a one-day layover in SYD next year. We'd like to take the kids on a quick tour of the sights. I'd much prefer to just take the Airport Link into town. But even if I get a discount on the kids, the train is expensive. In contrast, I can pick up a rental car at the airport for basically nothing using my Hertz points. Would I regret doing so? And I recall there are some "cashless" tolls I might run into along the way. Would that be a hassle/expense to deal with?
Depends on what sites you want to see but a car is going to be more of a hassle. You have to find parking, which is worse than finding parking in Manhattan, you have to pick up the car, wait for the car, fill the car with petrol and then you have all the cashless toll.

Take the Airport Link into the city. Get a Hop on Hop Off Bus or just take the ferry to Manly, the best way to see the Harbour and then catch the bus back in to the city. They can cross the Spit Bridge. IMHO you can miss out on Bondi Beach.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Depends on what sites you want to see but a car is going to be more of a hassle. You have to find parking, which is worse than finding parking in Manhattan, you have to pick up the car, wait for the car, fill the car with petrol and then you have all the cashless toll.

Take the Airport Link into the city. Get a Hop on Hop Off Bus or just take the ferry to Manly, the best way to see the Harbour and then catch the bus back in to the city. They can cross the Spit Bridge. IMHO you can miss out on Bondi Beach.
Yeah, that sounds so much more logical than renting a car. But for 5 people, that's going to cost me a considerable amount of money, right? I see it's $30 roundtrip per person for the 13 minute train ride to the airport. As I said, the car -- except parking and tolls -- would be free for me. How difficult, and expensive, is on-street parking in "downtown" Sydney? Like there are a couple of chain hotels by Darling Harbour I'm thinking of staying in (thank god for points -- Sydney hotel prices are expensive!). Could I leave the car on the street overnight without spending a fortune?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:34 am

Yeah, that sounds so much more logical than renting a car. But for 5 people, that's going to cost me a considerable amount of money, right? I see it's $30 roundtrip per person for the 13 minute train ride to the airport. As I said, the car -- except parking and tolls -- would be free for me. How difficult, and expensive, is on-street parking in "downtown" Sydney? Like there are a couple of chain hotels by Darling Harbour I'm thinking of staying in (thank god for points -- Sydney hotel prices are expensive!). Could I leave the car on the street overnight without spending a fortune?
What is wrong with taking a taxi (or even an airport shuttle type service) to/from the airport?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I can't guarantee it's still possible, as I was last there in 2008, but there's probably one place in all of downtown Sydney with entirely free parking: right under the Four Points Darling Harbour. If you're heading south on Sussex St, turn right on Slip St. a couple of blocks before the Four Points. Slip Street curves around and goes right under the Four Points before coming to a dead end. The hotel staff parks there and there's nothing to stop anyone else from doing so too. There's even an entrance to the hotel (normally used by tour groups) from that area. Other than that, there are some free street spaces around at night, and diplomatic spaces are great (if you can get them) since they're enforced the fewest number of hours per day.

Parking aside, you'll want a car if you're going to Bondi Beach (or Coogee, Clovelly, etc.) or the Blue Mountains, otherwise you're probably better off without it, including going to Manly. Skip the train, however, and just take a taxi. The economics of the train are a bit off (that's what happens when you privatize it) and a taxi to the city costs less than the train for two people, let alone five. You should be able to get a minivan taxi from the airport taxi rank that will fit everyone.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Something to consider is that CityRail offers Family Fares - so only one child pays when travelling with a parent or guardian. This will bring the cost down somewhat. Not sure how it works with Airport station access fees though.

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Almost all street parking is metered in Sydney (at least in the areas you are likely to visit) and run from $3 to $8 per hour -- lots of coins though many meters now take credit cards. Parking is fairly strictly enforced (and residents have annual permits that give free parking). Tolls can be avoided except for the Harbour Bridge, and can be easily paid for on the website (you have 48 hours to pay; otherwise the rental car company will pay and bill you for the toll and a $60 service charge).

As for how enjoyable it is, I think for 5 people probably better with a car than with train/bus or taxi, as you can keep your stuff in the car. Getting a GPS is probably wise, the streets are a bit difficult in Sydney esp. if you are trying to avoid the toll roads. Bondi Beach is easy to reach by car, has plenty of (paid) parking and offers a great RSL at the end of the beach with very cheap food and incredible views. One of the best experiences around.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
Something to consider is that CityRail offers Family Fares - so only one child pays when travelling with a parent or guardian. This will bring the cost down somewhat. Not sure how it works with Airport station access fees though.

Dave
The Sunday family fares are great value but if you use the airport stations you have to pay the airport terminal station access fee which is around $12 per person.

As others have said, if there are 5 of you - forget the train to/from the airport. get a cab.

Car/no car is really a personal thing. If you just wanted to hit the big sites (Opera House, Harbour Bridge and maybe a ferry ride across the harbour) you could save yourself some stress and get yourself a cab to circular quay - see the opera house, walk across the harbour bridge, come back and get a ferry across to Manly. All very doable without a car (but if it is raining - this is all going to be as miserable as it gets).

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a car here (indeed with 5 of you it's probably very convenient) but driving (and parking) in Sydney isn't especially easy and if it's a nice weekend day and you are heading out to Bondi (which is as others have said, lovely) the traffic and parking can be really, really ordinary - so much so that this former Sydneysider gave up driving out to the Eastern suburbs years ago...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
If you and your family members can manage a 1.6km walk, I would suggest catching the train at Wolli Creek rather than the airport. This saves the station access fee. A link to useful map can be found in this post over at AFF.

If the day you are there is not a Sunday you only have to pay for one of those family members who are under 16 plus all those who are over 16. You might find my multi tickets useful if you intend to go to a few places.

On Sundays you can get family funday tickets at $2.50 per person.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Most of the CBD is 1 hour parking or loading zones these days. You'll end up paying about $15-$20/hour to park in a car park. When you factor that in, it's really a no brainer to go the taxi option.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
Most of the CBD is 1 hour parking or loading zones these days. You'll end up paying about $15-$20/hour to park in a car park. When you factor that in, it's really a no brainer to go the taxi option.
Is there free/low cost overnight parking? Can anyone confirm the availability of free parking underneath the Four Points Darling Harbour?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Is there free/low cost overnight parking? Can anyone confirm the availability of free parking underneath the Four Points Darling Harbour?
Parking is $40/24 hours. I'd consider that cheap!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Pretty much all rentals come with an e-tag now, the tolls will just be added to your final bill. There are plenty of choices for refilling the tank prior to drop-off, and it will be full when you pickup the car.

Sydney is a ..... to get around via any mode of transport, but if you want to go anywhere other than the CBD you're really better off with a car. Getting a taxi FROM The airport is no problem, getting one back (depending on the time and location) can be a right pain in the arse, I've waited over an hour for a cab at a 5* hotel in Sydney, with the hotel staff doing their utmost for me and the dozen or so others waiting to no avail.

Prebook a car with a GPS and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by bensyd
Parking is $40/24 hours. I'd consider that cheap!
BAM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.