Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney in a day -- would renting a car be crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by shillard
Pretty much all rentals come with an e-tag now, ....
Of my last 3 rentals (Hertz, Avis and Europcar) none had an e-tag (to my surprise). I suppose it is a hassle for them to get the tags and afix them (or maybe people steal the devices?). I think Hertz has tags (think my MEL rental had it) but SYD definitely did not.

Valet parking at your hotel is worth its weight in gold in Syd, and price is reasonable compared to cost in parking garages ($80 for 3 hours is common in CBD). There is no convenient on-street parking and there are big fines, strict enforcement and funky parking rules. But having a car is extremely convenient esp. for a group.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Currently all Avis, Budget, Hertz and Europcar cars should have E tags.
If when you pick up a car they dont, obviously ask for a car that has one.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: QF
Train it... Thats what I do when I go to SYD. Whilst the train is expensive, a car in SYD CBD is an absolute PITA. You have slow moving traffic, it's difficult to find parking spots and when you do they are expensive.

The train on the other hand I've always found to be somewhat reliable, quick, and it goes virtually directly to all CBD stations. So no matter where you end up in the CBD, you won't be far from a station which can get you back to the airport.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
iahphx, after your day here next year could you post what you eventually decided to do and how it all worked out for you and your family?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by harvyk
Train it... Thats what I do when I go to SYD. Whilst the train is expensive, a car in SYD CBD is an absolute PITA. You have slow moving traffic, it's difficult to find parking spots and when you do they are expensive.

The train on the other hand I've always found to be somewhat reliable, quick, and it goes virtually directly to all CBD stations. So no matter where you end up in the CBD, you won't be far from a station which can get you back to the airport.
Again, the OP is with a family of five. With the screwy Sydney airport train pricing (a consequence of the airport stops having been privatised), a taxi from the domestic terminal to the CBD is cheaper than train tickets for two and a taxi from the international terminal to the CBD is a bit more expensive than two train tickets. With five people, a taxi makes far more sense for the OP than a train, and it'll be easy to get a minivan taxi at the airport. A few other markets, like Beijing and Hong Kong, have similar economics, with the train costing more than a taxi if you have three or more people.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFSC
iahphx, after your day here next year could you post what you eventually decided to do and how it all worked out for you and your family?
I will, but it will be awhile before I can report! My trip is not until the middle of next year.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rick253
Currently all Avis, Budget, Hertz and Europcar cars should have E tags.
If when you pick up a car they dont, obviously ask for a car that has one.
Do they use e-tags or e-pass ?

I thought e-tags are preloaded, how are the customers charged ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by mario33
Do they use e-tags or e-pass ?

I thought e-tags are preloaded, how are the customers charged ?
Perhaps (just a thought) when the statement comes in the CC of whoever was renting the car at the time is charged?

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
From all I have read the procedure is the rental car has an E Tag. In the rental car scheme the E Tag enables the tolling authority to determine the car and to bill the credit card of the renter. Usually a small service fee is added for each day of use, not a day where there is no use.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
there isnt any underground parking when i said at the 4point i think its across the road. There is a app called cheap parking sydney just google it. There are alot of tolls around sydney and i will tell you after renting from hertz many times i find alot of $33 charges on my cc and then a toll charge a few days later makes you real angry.
I have lived here all my life and i would say your about a 50/50 charge of get some sort of fine there alot of speed camera's on the way either way you head in or out and if its a 70k zone and your 72k expect the fine and $33 from your friendly hertz. Pay the extra dough and catch the trains no question about it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
there isnt any underground parking when i said at the 4point i think its across the road. There is a app called cheap parking sydney just google it. There are alot of tolls around sydney and i will tell you after renting from hertz many times i find alot of $33 charges on my cc and then a toll charge a few days later makes you real angry.
I have lived here all my life and i would say your about a 50/50 charge of get some sort of fine there alot of speed camera's on the way either way you head in or out and if its a 70k zone and your 72k expect the fine and $33 from your friendly hertz. Pay the extra dough and catch the trains no question about it.
Jeez, that's not too encouraging for renting a car.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
You do have to be careful with the speed cameras. That said, if you don't pay them, they don't really have a way to connect tickets with your passport number. Hertz will charge you a fee for having to nominate you as the driver when they get the ticket, however. Just remember that it's not like the U.S. and you have to drive at the speed limit, not a few km above it. And there is a camera in the cross-city tunnel between the city and the airport, so definitely don't speed there.

The parking under the Four Points is not a garage or underground, but on a road (Slip Street) that happens to run under the hotel. The turn to Slip Street, where the parking is, is more than a block from the hotel entrance, so you wouldn't find it unless you're looking for it. If you look at the Four Points in Google Maps Satellite View, you can see cars parked on Slip Street after it comes out from under the hotel (Slip Street is one of the few streets not covered by Street View). The Four Points is big with tour groups and Slip Street is also used as the motor coach entrance to the Four Points, so it's easy to get into the hotel from there (though that entrance is below the main lobby, so you wouldn't notice it from the lobby unless you were looking for it).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rick253
From all I have read the procedure is the rental car has an E Tag. In the rental car scheme the E Tag enables the tolling authority to determine the car and to bill the credit card of the renter. Usually a small service fee is added for each day of use, not a day where there is no use.
Actually they are using e-pass and it does not require a tag, which explains the confusion several posts above. Your car reg number is captured when you go through the toll booth and the charge billed to the registered user. There is no device in the rental car.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The tolerance in NSW is 10%. You won't get a ticket for doing 72 in 70 zone. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 2000. The things are so well signposted that if you get done by a fixed speed camera you probably deserved it because you're not paying attention.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I got fined going around the airport doing 73km in a 70 zone. I got a letter in the mail for speeding as well as just coming back from holidays and forgot to register my car. This nearly costs me $1,000.

Im not surewhat hertz has done recently but i was in melbourne and i couldnt get to the city from the airport without going thru some tolls and then i got 2 $33 charges. Dont rent a car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.