Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL/NW Merged Stations to Avoid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
potential 'reason' passed to me

I got this potential reason for the problem from an SC rep. Please note that I'm certainly not taking this as a defense - DL should be implementing a workaround - but I hadn't realized this angle.

The SC rep claims that the NW Union is asserting its contract rights - strongly enforcing that only the NW Union employees at the non outsource stations should be allowed to service NW flight check ins. Assuming this is correct it would help explain what we are seeing - the rep at the Medallion line is probably a DL employee so that agent can't check in for NW flights. Same theme for the 'bi-secting' of service at the coach counters as well.

Of course even if this is the case there are certainly workarounds that DL could and should employ:

At the elite line:
Staff the Elite line with both a NW and DL employee and have parallel terminals and printers on hand.

At Coach:
Post very large clear signage, move the idiot kiosk islands, and set up clear lines for NW and DL check in.

Of course this will fly in the face of what DL is probably trying to do here - save money. Its time for them to realize that until the operating certificates and systems are merged though there really isn't an operational merger. They can potentially save on the rent in some places but in the end they've still got 2 different airlines operating. The idea that they can just shove them together and get it down to one set of costs is a complete fantasy.

Assuming this is the case though I'd like to know - are all the 'problem stations' one's that were not out-sourced last year? If this union issue is the driver I would assume that the outsourced stations wouldn't be having as much trouble. I'm not sure myself as I haven't been to a merged station that wasn't NW employee based yet. The closest I came was when I flew out of GEG a couple of weeks ago - I literally went out the day before their 'flip' was due.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Staff the Elite line with both a NW and DL employee and have parallel terminals and printers on hand.
This is how the Elite line at IND appears to be working, at least as of a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
RDU is still a mess with backed up lines, and often either the Elite line (separate one for NW) ignored, or overflow pax directed into the Elite & Medallion lines, thus making them useless in terms of priority for elites.

Was there at 5am yesterday and they were backed up out the door. I expect a lot of people were missing their 6am flights.

It's fine if you OLCI and don't have checked bags. Nor any issue that prevents OLCI.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Assuming this is the case though I'd like to know - are all the 'problem stations' one's that were not out-sourced last year? If this union issue is the driver I would assume that the outsourced stations wouldn't be having as much trouble.
AUS was outsourced last year and the merged desk is a complete mess.

Service actually improved when they outsourced it.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
LAX is on the list already but I'll provide some color from yesterday's check-in around 10:30 am. Lines for security filled up the waiting area at the bottom of the stairs, then went along the terminal wall, then eventually went out for some distance outside along the sidewalk. Lines to check bags were extremely long.

Fortunately we were able to use the first class checkin at the far right end of the counter. There were two fairly short lines, one for NW flights and one for DL flights, although there was no signage to indicate which was which. Every few minutes someone would say something, then folks would switch lines as needed. And even more fortunately, there is a FC/elite line at security, both for ID check and xray. I estimate our elite status saved us an hour for the whole checkin and security process.

Once past security, the terminal was far nicer than the old terminal 2.

Last edited by Stripe; Jul 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I got this potential reason for the problem from an SC rep. Please note that I'm certainly not taking this as a defense - DL should be implementing a workaround - but I hadn't realized this angle.

The SC rep claims that the NW Union is asserting its contract rights - strongly enforcing that only the NW Union employees at the non outsource stations should be allowed to service NW flight check ins. Assuming this is correct it would help explain what we are seeing - the rep at the Medallion line is probably a DL employee so that agent can't check in for NW flights. Same theme for the 'bi-secting' of service at the coach counters as well.

Of course even if this is the case there are certainly workarounds that DL could and should employ:

At the elite line:

At Coach:
Post very large clear signage, move the idiot kiosk islands, and set up clear lines for NW and DL check in.

Of course this will fly in the face of what DL is probably trying to do here - save money. Its time for them to realize that until the operating certificates and systems are merged though there really isn't an operational merger. They can potentially save on the rent in some places but in the end they've still got 2 different airlines operating. The idea that they can just shove them together and get it down to one set of costs is a complete fantasy.

Assuming this is the case though I'd like to know - are all the 'problem stations' one's that were not out-sourced last year? If this union issue is the driver I would assume that the outsourced stations wouldn't be having as much trouble. I'm not sure myself as I haven't been to a merged station that wasn't NW employee based yet. The closest I came was when I flew out of GEG a couple of weeks ago - I literally went out the day before their 'flip' was due.
Sure that makes sense....at least for the larger stations, but remember NWA outsourced the majority of their stations (what was it, only the 14 largest stayed mainline, the rest were contracted?) I can tell you ORF was contract, so there is no reason for this mess (and looking at our list the majority of them are also contact stations)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

first post has been updated
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club

I don't know if this is a factor, but I don't think it is the main factor. Is this just another attempt by management to place blame?

I mean it is always something with Delta, isn't it? We are not profitable because of high fuel. We are not profitable because of accounting charges for the merger. We have to have luggage and frequent flyer redemption fees because we are not profitable. We have to cut the FF program and elite benefits because they are overly generous, on and on.

Besides, as someone pointed out, ORF was outsourced and they have the problem there. I'm more inclined to blame management ineptitude. The union is just a convenient scapegoat.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazelrah
I don't know if this is a factor, but I don't think it is the main factor. Is this just another attempt by management to place blame?

I mean it is always something with Delta, isn't it? We are not profitable because of high fuel. We are not profitable because of accounting charges for the merger. We have to have luggage and frequent flyer redemption fees because we are not profitable. We have to cut the FF program and elite benefits because they are overly generous, on and on.

Besides, as someone pointed out, ORF was outsourced and they have the problem there. I'm more inclined to blame management ineptitude. The union is just a convenient scapegoat.
as anti union as I am (and wow am I ever) it could be exactly that....see this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...l#post12092571 where a reference is made to the latest DOT complaint stats showing NWA ranked higher than DL for another month...I've lost track on how many months in a row it's been like this now
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
So can I use the elite line as a NW PE at MCO?
Taking the family there next week and wondering about when I leave on a early morning flight. Have a 012 ticket but on DL metal.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by gatechange
Taking the family there next week and wondering about when I leave on a early morning flight. Have a 012 ticket but on DL metal.
I'm reading that DL Elite lines are staffed by DL agents, so all NW (including PE) have to use the general line.

Are there any merged stations that can handle DL and NW Elites?

Kinda funny that the DL thread has DTW as one of the worst stations for DL Elites.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gatechange
I haven't tried MCO but the general theme seems to be if you are flying NW metal you may be in trouble. If its DL metal you should be OK.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I haven't tried MCO but the general theme seems to be if you are flying NW metal you may be in trouble. If its DL metal you should be OK.
I thought it was the ticket, not the metal. If you're on an 012 ticket (even if on DL metal), I'm not sure a DL agent can help.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I'm reading that DL Elite lines are staffed by DL agents, so all NW (including PE) have to use the general line.

Are there any merged stations that can handle DL and NW Elites?

Kinda funny that the DL thread has DTW as one of the worst stations for DL Elites.
1) PHF/ORF/ATL allow both DL and NW elites in the Elite Line

2) We have DTW listed as a inbetween...not good and not bad...lots of finger pointing (and I personally love that station but I've gotta say ATL is ahead of it right now)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 15, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.