Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Are the "use CO or WN instead of DL/NW" folks pointing out CO/WN flaws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.

Note to mods: I do not think this is outside of the spirit of the board, and is not meant to target anyone; it is not an attack at all IMHO. However I do feel it is valid to bring this up due to a vocal minority who are very anti-DL/NW nowadays, including posting links to "Delta Sucks" type blogs.

In those blogs frequently linked from this and the DL forum, every time there is a "smoke in cabin" or "return to airport" or even a minor safety issue, it seems that there is a post about it, implying DL/NW is unusually unsafe.

The same happens in-line here on FT itself at times. Meanwhile the posters involved often recommend how much better WN and CO are than DL/NW.

I'm just wondering if they also bring attention to items like the NTSB blaming the CO pilots on the CO1404 DEN flight last December that veered from the runway and burst into flame.
Data Suggest Crew in Denver Crash Failed to Respond to Wind Gusts .

Or how about the chunk of fuselage that ripped of the WN flight the other day?

Thankfully nobody was killed nor seriously injured in either incident. But it just seems like a cheap shot to use the internet to trash DL/NW on safety while promoting other airlines that also have occasional safety issues.

Maybe the DL/NW "antis" should take safety issues off the table entirely because it's a cheap shot. Including on blogs that are prominently linked from FT. I think we all should consider the US domestic majors as essentially equal in safety and not part of why we might try to convince others to fly or not fly them. (I'm leaving regionals out of that for now - I have concerns about some of all the major's regional affiliates).

Plenty of reason to be pro, con, or anti DL/NW or WN or CO, UA, US, AA without trashing any of them on safety.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
This actually sparked my interest and I am going to check out those other forums to see what people are posting about DL safety. Personally, I don't think there are any reasons for safety concerns on DL.

On the other hand, what always interested me is the fact that those people that are so vocal about how horrible DL/NW has become do still take a very active role on the DL/NW threads just to post something negative, at least that is what it seems. Why do it? Why not concentrate on the allegedly greener pastures of CO and WN boards?

In any event, everyone is free to post wherever they want, of course, just a curious observation.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There isn't much of a point in claiming that any carriers currently operating with service in the USA are truly suffering from poor operational safety. It simply isn't true.

As for whether people can come into FT and start threads on such topics, sure they can. And when they demonstrate irrational thought others can take that into account when considering their opinions on other topics. It isn't really worth fighting with them, however. Lots of effort and not much upside.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by MarkXS
Note to mods: I do not think this is outside of the spirit of the board, and is not meant to target anyone; it is not an attack at all IMHO. However I do feel it is valid to bring this up due to a vocal minority who are very anti-DL/NW nowadays, including posting links to "Delta Sucks" type blogs.

In those blogs frequently linked from this and the DL forum, every time there is a "smoke in cabin" or "return to airport" or even a minor safety issue, it seems that there is a post about it, implying DL/NW is unusually unsafe.

The same happens in-line here on FT itself at times. Meanwhile the posters involved often recommend how much better WN and CO are than DL/NW.

I'm just wondering if they also bring attention to items like the NTSB blaming the CO pilots on the CO1404 DEN flight last December that veered from the runway and burst into flame.
Data Suggest Crew in Denver Crash Failed to Respond to Wind Gusts .

Or how about the chunk of fuselage that ripped of the WN flight the other day?

Thankfully nobody was killed nor seriously injured in either incident. But it just seems like a cheap shot to use the internet to trash DL/NW on safety while promoting other airlines that also have occasional safety issues.

Maybe the DL/NW "antis" should take safety issues off the table entirely because it's a cheap shot. Including on blogs that are prominently linked from FT. I think we all should consider the US domestic majors as essentially equal in safety and not part of why we might try to convince others to fly or not fly them. (I'm leaving regionals out of that for now - I have concerns about some of all the major's regional affiliates).

Plenty of reason to be pro, con, or anti DL/NW or WN or CO, UA, US, AA without trashing any of them on safety.
i agree with the idea that we should hear from both sides of the arguement. Given the tone of the such arguements, maybe the mods should just put this over into OMNI/PR.. There seem to be a lot of similarities in arguements...
Obama is better than Bush, No Bush was better, no Palin is better.. sort of thing.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Well I'm fleeing the DL/NW counter disaster for CO on my next trip.

I guarantee though that if I see similar mayhem on CO I'll post it - I'm an equal opportunity hit-taker when I've been wronged.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Totally agree with you about the DL/NW counter fiascos. Better than the HP/US merger counter issues, but that sure is faint praise.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond

As best I can tell, I last linked to the DL Sucks Blog on May 20, so I've no idea where "frequently" comes into the picture. Both links were in the context of ongoing discussions. At one point we also used the DL Sucks Blog to provide access to court documents in the US Bank vs. DL/NW case. Generally in FT I prefer to link directly to original sources of information.

However, I do thank you for the unsolicited publicity!

As for whether or not this thread is a rather poorly veiled personal attack, I'll leave that to the moderators to decide.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Asking a question isn't an attack. You're not the only poster here who, IMHO, is anti-Delta to the point of excess. But your blog is one of the things I considered. Your blog is linked to every single post you make on FT because it's in your "Visit MikeMpls' Homepage" link to the left of every post.

Given that every single post links to that blog, and that blog is full of "DL hit a bird" type stuff, and that you as a prominent FTer, and others who are anti-Delta, often promote CO and WN, it is entirely valid to question whether you and others are giving "equal time" to the serious safety-related issues that have recently occurred on your two favorite, much-better-than-Delta (per you and others) airlines. If you haven't, then I submit that it's unfair to single out Delta's safety issues.

This is not a personal attack. Think of it as a "letter to the editor" about the coverage.

As a CO and UA and DL and NW elite and regular flyer, I don't have a dog in this fight. As an FTer, I feel called to be one of the many voices giving fair-and-balanced (gag me but it fits) comments. As somebody who does intend, both by choice and by fare/route-system fit, to continue flying DL/NW, I've been disturbed about the signal-to-noise ratio of meaningful information to repetitive diatribes here (and I'm not pointing at you, Mike). Sometimes I just want to read or share information about flying DL/NW, without the noise. And I'm really tired of being called pro-Delta just because I happen to be realistic about the merger and don't have a lifelong love affair with NW the way some folks here do.

Questioning and differing what particular posters write on a message board or on blogs linked regularly from that message board is what teh interwebs are about. The tubes are full of that. That does not constitute a personal attack in any reasonable definition. I'm sure you're a fine fellow. I'm sure you have good reasons, to you, for your opinions. But if you call a questioning of your editorial slant, so to speak, a personal attack, perhaps you shouldn't be posting such opinions.

It is curious how the anti-delta posters often play the personal attack card. One on the receiving end of that could actually interpret that as a personal attack in and of itself, as an attempt by a non-mod to bring down the "weight of moderation" on them as an attempt to stifle dissent. But I'm sure nobody would attempt to do that...
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
At the end of the day, the one thing where I won't argue over any major airline here in the United States is on safety - I have no hesitation boarding a plane with the name Delta, Northwest, Continental, Southwest, American, US Airways, AirTran, Allegiant, Frontier, United, etc. etc. here in the United States.

Things can and do happen, but I feel safe getting on any reputable carrier in this country. Otherwise the FAA wouldn't be letting them fly.

There's plenty to debate between DL/CO/WN/whoever. Safety should absolutely not be one of those topics.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
I forgot about that FT Profile home page, never noticed that it shows up that way. I love it!!!!

My FT Profile home page was where I was told years ago by a moderator that links to xxx.com sites have to go as opposed to signature lines, so I'm just following instructions.

Two big TOS problem for you to ponder:

#1 is debate of an other member, but personally I will overlook that in this case & keep my fingers off the"bad post" button.

#2 is misrepresentation of a subject. A quick count of the last 20 entries shows that only 7 deal w/ airframe incidents. The two most recent postings involve a once-drunk (on-duty) pilot, and much more recently drunk (off-duty) FA whose court-imposed restrictions fortunately have kept her grounded. It covers a lot more than you would lead people to believe.

If you don't like the postings, constructively-worded feedback actually makes it through the screening. Only off-topic/vulgar/personal attack types of responses are weeded out (& there was one bozo who was so continuously off the wall that I added an email filter to route his to the bit bucket & save my time).

If you feel the coverage is biased, you're also free to start your own blog(s), eg. DL Doesn't Suck or CO Sucks or WN Sucks or whatever suits your fancy. It's a great country!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 20, 2009 at 12:10 am
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mersk862
At the end of the day, the one thing where I won't argue over any major airline here in the United States is on safety - I have no hesitation boarding a plane with the name Delta, Northwest, Continental, Southwest, American, US Airways, AirTran, Allegiant, Frontier, United, etc. etc. here in the United States.

Things can and do happen, but I feel safe getting on any reputable carrier in this country. Otherwise the FAA wouldn't be letting them fly.

There's plenty to debate between DL/CO/WN/whoever. Safety should absolutely not be one of those topics.
He's misrepresenting the focus of the blog. Airframe incidents are only a fraction of the contents, and some are much more serious than birdstrikes. For example there been several postings & lots of links on the problem with speed pitots. And who says bird strikes are harmless?

Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Asking a question isn't an attack. You're not the only poster here who, IMHO, is anti-Delta to the point of excess.
There is no disputing the fact that Delta Airlines was #1 in customer complaints filed with DoT for the month of May. WN had the least amount of customer complaints in May. Something is not right in Atlanta.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...10&id=10134390
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Equally annoying are the "my airline can do no wrong" posts. Sometimes I think they are employees paid to sing the praises. But then that is fully acceptable also.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hazelrah
There is no disputing the fact that Delta Airlines was #1 in customer complaints filed with DoT for the month of May. WN had the least amount of customer complaints in May. Something is not right in Atlanta.

DL was also dead last (highest rates of complaints) for May 2008.

DL has been and could be (should be) a better airline than it is now.

The management attitude that allows this poor service trend to continue does a disservice to both DL passengers and the DL employees... who rely on the airline's success for their welfare.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hazelrah

nice to see the heavily unionized NWA is still fairing much better than their parent company.....Richard...I know you've got a big task ahead of you but please help IMPROVE DELTA, let NWA help you do it (no I'm not saying to unionize it, that's between him and his employees)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.