Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL/NW Merged Stations to Avoid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I miss Scoop......he would have responded to this thread by now....I know Jim Cron reads these threads...Jim please give us an update on this - we're all loyal and want to remain loyal but with the number of airports on the list in the first post there is definately an issue here....I myself enjoyed the 2 way information sharing with Andy, Beth, Suzanne and Crystal over the years - they (along with Bob, Richard and yourself) really knew how to run a worldclass airline, unfortunately there seems to be a disconnect below Richard somewhere (given what he use to say about customer service when he was CEO of NWA)

Last edited by socrates; Jul 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by socrates
I miss Scoop......he would have responded to this thread by now....I know Jim Cron reads these threads...Jim please give us an update on this - we're all loyal and want to remain loyal but with the number of airports on the list in the first post there is definately an issue here....I myself enjoyed the 2 way information sharing with Andy, Beth, Suzanne and Crystal over the years - they (along with Bob, Richard and yourself) really knew how to run a worldclass airline, unfortunately there seems to be a disconnect below Richard somewhere (given what he use to say about customer service when he was CEO of NWA)
Just because someone official from DL isn't responding to this thread doesn't mean that they're not reading it and getting insights from it. This thread actually has some good, tangible examples of where elite lines are meaningless - that's the type of thread DL told us they like to see and will action. DL does (believe it or not) care about FlyerTalk - otherwise Jeff, Josh (who has come over here to the NW forum a couple of times) and Bob would not have spent hours of their time (and spending far beyond the alloted time) answering questions at the Q&A at the DO last month.

I know the folks on Virginia Avenue aren't going to win the NW Forum's "Most Popular" contest - and rightly so - but that doesn't mean that FT is only a place for them to come and get laughs. Not by a longshot.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:24 pm

This link has been around for a while now, but given some of the posts in this thread, it might bear repeating:

http://www.nwa.com/merger/airports/

Granted, once you get to the airport, if the stations themselves are poorly signed or orchestrated, that won't help much. But hopefully it'll help you before you get to the airport, if for no other reason than to confirm what you already knew.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862
Just because someone official from DL isn't responding to this thread doesn't mean that they're not reading it and getting insights from it. This thread actually has some good, tangible examples of where elite lines are meaningless - that's the type of thread DL told us they like to see and will action. DL does (believe it or not) care about FlyerTalk - otherwise Jeff, Josh (who has come over here to the NW forum a couple of times) and Bob would not have spent hours of their time (and spending far beyond the alloted time) answering questions at the Q&A at the DO last month.

I know the folks on Virginia Avenue aren't going to win the NW Forum's "Most Popular" contest - and rightly so - but that doesn't mean that FT is only a place for them to come and get laughs. Not by a longshot.
Please reread my post, I DO state they read FT, however there is a difference - NWA & CO both have/had dedicated resources toward FT (as so HOT & MAR)...the return must be there as these folks have been employed for years now - I for one really appreciate Scott's prompt responses to issues the CO folks bring up, I can tell you he's been a HUGE revenue generator for CAL...the difference here is CO isn't afraid to say what they think in public knowing FT'ers will or wont like it doesn't matter, they do respond....that was the way NWA use to be
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
PDX can be a mess in the AM, but it gets worse around the 10am hour prior to the AMS flight.

PDX gets ugly again when before AMS goes out:

SLC: 11:15am push (DL 4682)
ATL: 11:23am push (DL 2049)
DTW: 11:25am push (NW 462)
MSP: 11:45am push (NW 590)
AMS: 12:00noon push (NW 764)
SLC: 1:07pm push (DL 1188, continues onto JFK)

A couple weeks ago I showed up at 10:00am to catch DL 2049 to ATL and it was a huge, unorganized mess with few employees to help.

NW/DL are merged at PDX -- at the kiosk you select your airline. Lots of problems with kiosks locking / freezing up.

As to who uses the kiosk next, it is kind of a free for all.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Post 1 updated
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
How about Canada departures?

In YYC for instance - online boarding passes are rejected and kiosk "re-check-in" is enforced. I understand an INTL doc check is needed, but why does the check-in have to be recompleted (complete with long lines). For Elites/First Class, there is a marked desk, but to get to it you have to wait in a massive line to get to a kiosk first, then the desk is behind those for baggage service only. What's the point? I've started bypassing the line and wading through people checking in a the kiosks, then going from there to the F/Elite desk bypassing the kiosk, at risk of being heckled by other passengers in the long line, and at risk of attitude from an agent. Why?!!??
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by troyintn
TPA and BNA are both bad. It is ok once you get in the right line, but if you have never been there before you can not tell what part of the ticket counter to go to. So everyone is stuck in one big line and then has to wait on another machine.
I AGREE!!! TPA is horrific. The NWA counter was always a breeze but nobody ever mans the First class/Elite line at DL and last time they apologized that they couldn't pull my flight up because I booked on NWA. To say it is slow is being nice.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta
I'm over at the DL forum generally, but was browsing through here and thought I'd chime in.

MDW is kind of messy now. The old DL counter was already kind of small, and now they've moved to the NW counter, but they never really added any help or kiosks! Continental and American no longer serve MDW, and their counters are right next to the new DL counter (previously NW). I wish Delta would expand the counter space some and add more kiosks. Last time out of MDW, they had a "First class" line, but it was staffed by NW folks. If you're on a DL flight, you had to stand in the long long coach line. I want to say they had a whopping 3 people working the counters, two were NW and 1 for DL with one assisting at the kiosks. It would really help I think if they eliminated the 012 tickets asap so we can get everyone on the same page as far as booking and checking in goes.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by jjlovecub
I AGREE!!! TPA is horrific. The NWA counter was always a breeze but nobody ever mans the First class/Elite line at DL and last time they apologized that they couldn't pull my flight up because I booked on NWA. To say it is slow is being nice.
I will also concur TPA is a mess....this is a far cry from the old NW TPA counters where check in was almost always a breeze. Walking by their old counter location brings back fond memories. MCO doesn't seem any better by the way at their merged desk on my recent trips through there. Does the "D" in Delta stand for Disorganized?!?!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
It seems that there is DL presence here monitoring. They posted in the DFW elite line problem thread I started which is coming down to a similar gap:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...l#post12086458
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Don't fly NWA often and am alarmed to see BNA on the list...is this a deal killer? Was about to book Worldperks BNA-LHR, but I may suck it up and take my business to AA if this is going to be a nightmare.
It is not that bad, just stay to the left or go straight to the Kiosks on the left, they are the old NWA ones the Delta ones are on the right. The issue is if you do not know that you will be in one line to then have to get in another.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:05 pm

STL flips Tuesday, and I'm flying that day (on a 012 NW metal ticket). Not looking forward to it... not that the NW setup at STL was anything to be too proud of to begin with mind you.

I lived through the AA takeover of TW here, and the check-in functions were a mess for about six months. What is in this thread doesn't make it sound like things are going to be any different.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jul 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Best and Worst DL/NW combined stations

As stated in another thread, there should be a mast list of the worst stations (and I threw in the best part just to be equal) of DL/NW combined stations. I started the thread in the DL forum and would like to have it in one single thread. If you would like to post in this forum that is fine with me and I will go back and forth to create the list. Thanks!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-stations.html

Worst DL/NW Stations:

Best DL/NW Stations:
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by zsmith2
As stated in another thread, there should be a mast list of the worst stations (and I threw in the best part just to be equal) of DL/NW combined stations. I started the thread in the DL forum and would like to have it in one single thread. If you would like to post in this forum that is fine with me and I will go back and forth to create the list. Thanks!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-stations.html

Worst DL/NW Stations:

Best DL/NW Stations:
We already have a thread on this topic here on the NW forum so I've merged your thread. -slippahs, nwa co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.