Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] 1/6/09 NW E-mail: Plats to Pay $100 for Award Ticket Redeposits Beg 3/1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED] 1/6/09 NW E-mail: Plats to Pay $100 for Award Ticket Redeposits Beg 3/1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I can tell you that AA has always charged EXPs a redeposit fee. UA used to do so to its 1Ks up until about 2 years ago, but then eliminated it.
I do not think the redeposit fee is the main concern. it's the change fee for an award.

AA does not even charge a change fee on an award for their base members as long as destinations do not change. THey can change data and time without a charge.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:57 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
You gotta go to the page on SkyMiles updates to find out info on this...

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Here are the Delta award fees:

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...d_travel_fees/

And on that page DL does not even indicate that it is eliminating a Platinum medallion benefit that exempts such members for yet another one of DL's many award ticket fees.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by thepla
I do not think the redeposit fee is the main concern. it's the change fee for an award.

AA does not even charge a change fee on an award for their base members as long as destinations do not change. THey can change data and time without a charge.
Personally, I redeposit much more than I change. NW's policy that one cannot "hold" an award reservation is one reason for that - I need to grab something while I go and check with the traveller if it's ok, or check out other options on AA/UA. Or, my work schedule bumps into a trip I had scheduled - I just don't have anywhere near enough predictability to plan these things too far in advance.

Stupidly, I'm sure my situation is included in the quote about how people "block out award space that others could be using" - my apologies for sometimes buying the $8k work ticket that replaces the vacation award ticket I was holding! This is one thing I have always disliked about AA's program, and it is a feature I hate to see NW adapt. I guess UA stands at the top on this one now.

Also, and I apologize for not knowing, but is it confirmed that they will hit a date change only ticket with a fee? The reason AA/UA don't do this is that the transaction doesn't require reticketing. But I'm not familiar enough with NW's workings to know if they handle this the same way for lower level elites (I've only been plat). Thanks for any confirmation of this.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Ditto for me, that's a common scenario... as is the scenario where I make a change to a $8k work ticket for myself and need to make a similar change to my wife's WBC award ticket. I guess for the $8k NW is getting for my ticket, they wouldn't feel that injured if I move her award ticket around a day or two.

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Stupidly, I'm sure my situation is included in the quote about how people "block out award space that others could be using" - my apologies for sometimes buying the $8k work ticket that replaces the vacation award ticket I was holding!
This change really pushed me over the edge. It now has me analyzing my flying habits ENTIRELY independent of the NW loyalty program (whereas previously if cost was similar I would take NW, even if less convenient from a connection standpoint). So I am going to take the flight that meets the criteria of best cost, best connections and best equipment, with NW loyalty no longer in the equation at all (and that means NW is going to lose quite often). I just arrived in London this morning on the BA nonstop from SEA-- wow, nice flat bed, exit row in 744 upper deck and I didn't have to connect in AMS (and priced $1k less than NW). Since I rarely have any business in AMS, I am guessing that BA, LH and AF will get more of my business this year, as they get me into the cities I need to visit without a connection for about the same price. I have no OneWorld status at all, but that didn't seem to interfere with a great flight on BA last night! With loyalty programs heading where they are, I think status is an over-rated concept.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by stephem
With loyalty programs heading where they are, I think status is an over-rated concept.
You can say that again!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
If there's any PR people in the house, can't someone come up with enough spin to make this come out as very bad PR for DL/NW?

They are really pushing the envelope WAY too hard...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
New simple chart comparing NW Plat vs other US FF plans

I did a really basic fee comparison chart of NW plats vs AA, CO, UA and US. I don't have a good place to upload it, so if someone wants to do so, feel free to. I took all the info from these recent threads, so if there are any errors, please let me know.

Just email me at Jaimito_cartero @ Yahoo.com, and I'll send you a PDF version. These make surprising nice handouts at the airport!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NWA comparison chart sent!

Okay, I've emailed out to everyone who dropped me a note. If you wish to make copies of it, and spread it out on your travels, feel free!

Also, if you want to post it online, that's fine too.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Okay, smaller JPG version online now

Okay, I finally dug out one website that had a basic (very basic!) hosting plan with it. So I updated the site, put a few views about the merger and upcoming changes on it, and put up a smaller .jpg image of the comparison chart.

You can see it here.

If someone would like to post the full PDF version, let me know the link, and I'll add it to the site.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Excellent chart!
If we can confirm with Elites from UA, AA, and CO that it's accurate, then it's time to mass produce the thing!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Okay, I finally dug out one website that had a basic (very basic!) hosting plan with it. So I updated the site, put a few views about the merger and upcoming changes on it, and put up a smaller .jpg image of the comparison chart.

You can see it here.

If someone would like to post the full PDF version, let me know the link, and I'll add it to the site.
Very nice summary! I wish I'd had a print of this to hand to the reps in the MSP lounge a couple weeks ago when they ask if other airlines didn't charge all these fees.

One way to counter this might just be hand it out in the lounges to the reps and educate them.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think a series of "viral" 8 1/2 x 11" posters would be good.

4 or 5 would probably work out nicely.

I've noted some of the titles in the DL thread. I think that if we can highlight some of the real problems that these changes bring up. Such as:

You need to use your NW miles to take your family to visit your sick grandmother. Oh wait, that flight in two days away, please pay $600 to just use those miles you've worked so hard to earn.

and

You've saved up your Skymiles for three years for that perfect honeymoon flight to Europe. You book try to book the flight 11 months in advance, but they want triple the miles?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Very nice summary! I wish I'd had a print of this to hand to the reps in the MSP lounge a couple weeks ago when they ask if other airlines didn't charge all these fees.

One way to counter this might just be hand it out in the lounges to the reps and educate them.
And send it to the Chisholm reps,
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

You can see it here.

Jaimito Cartero You have made a wonderful comparison chart, and I think this should be the start of the "SaveWorldperks" effort. I wish I had any knowledge of webstuff, but I don't know anything whatsoever.

I suggest that WP FTers print out the info on the linked website and just leave them in the seat pockets and in the inflight magazines on our NW or DL flights. AS we know they never really clean that area out, it is a place to put them, esp. in FC where others might see it who aren't FTers. Leave the fliers in the WC, discretely share with the WC receptionists, etc. Share with your seat neighbor....
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Sigh, I had to change an award reservation coming back from DCA->SFO. Changed from a DL flight to a NW flight that left two hours earlier. Would cost $100 under the new scheme (FlyNow not available because it was DL, SDC not available because i wanted to change to NW).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.