Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Glad to see Sat-stay restrictions gone
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
THERE HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE CHANGES IN OUR FF PROGRAM WHATSOEVER AS A RESULT OF THIS MERGER
So, does the Saturday night stay thing not count?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by rtarbuck
I think we should hold a protest at the MSP WorldClub!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about having some cards made indication my disatisfaction with this program change and leaving it with the WC people every time I check into a Club.

Hopefully they would pass it on up, but then who knows how far it would go.

Maybe start it with: To Bob S.

Bob
I think we should hold simultaneous protests at MSP, MEM, and DTW.

Delta is doing this bull because they CAN. They are the largest airline in the world and want to flex some muscle and see if the other carriers follow.

The only way we'll see this end is if another major carrier (or two) drops fees and makes a program more palatteable, while launching a blitz to take customers.

I have been in the camp of believing that things would be OK, but I think I am done. I am glad I didn't requalify for elite status this year, and glad I thought twice about buying a 3 year worldclub membership.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tomh009
Where did you see this? (Other than the fact that anything and everything may change for 2010, of course, as nothing has been announced yet.)
Just assuming the fleecing will continue..no reason to assume otherwise. I am only banking on what the current rules are as they are subject to change at any time.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by indufan
How much do you want to count it for?

Most award redemptions -- on airlines that didn't have this restriction -- already include a Saturday night stay. Most people's leisure trips include a Saturday night stay -- and most award tickets are for leisure trips.

How much did you say you want to count it for?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Most award redemptions -- on airlines that didn't have this restriction -- already include a Saturday night stay. Most people's leisure trips include a Saturday night stay -- and most award tickets are for leisure trips.

+1. I am only using miles on leisure trips or UG's so this is of almost no value to me. I can always get a Saturday in if needed.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:27 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!

Honestly, I think it is a positive change and does count. Often award tickets are used for last-minute emergencies (death/illness in family for example) when a Saturday night stay might not be possible.

But in light of all the other negatives associated with the DL/NW program announcements, the entire program overall is on its way downhill.....fast.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:29 am

The Saturday thing was such a non-issue for my award booking that I had no idea it even existed.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: DL GE
I just sent a TTU in the matter... However, I got this response?

Talk to Us submissions are temporarily unavailable.
However, your request has been received and sent through e-mail.

Continue on to the Northwest Airlines homepage
Strange?

What happens with all of this when they re-introduce fuel surcharges? Will that be an additional cost? $150 will turn into $250 plus 60k miles?

The three tier award change is stated as: 12,500 - 20,000 - 30,000. Wasn't a PerkPass 50k before? Now it *could* reach 60,000 plus the staggered fee structure, plus fuel surcharges?

Also, isn't everyone is betting 2010 to be the year Plat qual moves to 100k, with 100% bonus?

This isn't a frequent flyer program, it's just plain ridiculous.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Stripe
None of this seems to be a surprise, except for perhaps the increased redemption fees. Of most interest to me is what isn't covered, mainly the current NW elite benefits that DL elites don't have. Specifically:
  • Confirmed companion upgrades for platinums.
  • Upgrades on award tickets.
  • 125% mileage bonus for platinums.
  • Elite ExtraPerks

Should we interpret "no news" about those benefits as "good news" and assume there will be no change for the 2009 program year?
No news = good news....for now.

I expect all these will be gone by Dec 2009. Mark my words.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by indufan
Yes, it absolutely counts. Unfortunately it's a rose shrub overshadowed by a redwood that's about to fall on top of it.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I've been accused of being a DL apologist, which is pretty funny because a few years ago I switched from DL to NW. I do think DL has a better soft product, and in domestic, often a better hard product. I've been looking forward to seeing some of the DL service come over to NW.

But this devaluation, even though expected, is probably it for me. I got a DL Gold comp (from UA) and enjoyed a couple of upgrades on them at a higher priority than I would have from my NW Silver. However I'm about to switch all my already-booked Q1/Q2 DL and NW flights to credit my CO account, even though that means I won't get upgraded on the DL-metal flights. Let DL/NW help me earn what will become *A status on CO instead.

Couple of hotels early this month and I may be back up to 25K RDM to try to book one last "Saver" domestic to clear out the account. I got a decent Europe vacation trip for next fall before things went to pieces.

The huge fee increases are the worst thing IMHO. I did burn some DL miles on 25K level domestics even after 3-tier, so I'm out there too. Probably have a couple thousand left after Mountains promo posts - guess I'm getting some magazines or something...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

But the poster said that there were absolutely no positive changes.

The "most awards tickets are for leisure trips" was exactly the reason for a Saturday night stay. There ARE people, particularly small business owners that are just barely getting by that are redeeming award tickets for business reasons. There are still companies who insist they "own" the FF miles and mandate they be used for company travel.

Personally, I have several times in the past redeemed midweek award tickets for leisure.

I didn't say it was a big deal but it's more that absolutely no positive changes.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GE
I sent in a TTU and got this back almost instantly.. They must have been prepared for this...

Dear pragakhan,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Our goal is to be the carrier of distinct preference and feedback like
yours is critical to our success. Northwest Airlines is committed to
providing the best frequent flyer program in the industry. Customer
observations, suggestions, and experiences form the basis of improved
operations.

We realize that customer loyalty cannot be taken for granted. To that
end, our WorldPerks program and its promotions are constantly under
review. We can assure you that as a valued WorldPerks member, your
comments have received close attention for future planning.

We recognize that travelers have a choice of airlines and we deeply
appreciate those who choose Northwest Airlines and the WorldPerks
program. We hope that Northwest Airlines, along with our SkyTeam and
other partner airlines, will have the continued privilege of serving
your air travel needs.

Sincerely,

XXXX
WorldPerks Customer Service Center
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Angry

Originally Posted by fti
Honestly, I think it is a positive change and does count. Often award tickets are used for last-minute emergencies (death/illness in family for example) when a Saturday night stay might not be possible.

But in light of all the other negatives associated with the DL/NW program announcements, the entire program overall is on its way downhill.....fast.

NWA award tickets (even perksaver) have ignored the Sat night rule for some time in my experience. So to me they are just making it official. NW hasn't really given us anything new here with that item.

This whole scenario is just unfair to folks who already have miles in their accounts.

Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
Well Alaska Airlines here I come where I can redeem awards for the same flights without paying the redemption fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.