Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pragakhan
I am sure this will get lost in the flame throwing, but I too am very upset with this.

There where countless times when I decided at the last minute to fly somewhere and spending $10 and 25,000 to book a ticket tomorrow, worked.

Is NWScoop or Bob going to come in and explain this bull ....??

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....
The above named persons are subject to the will of DL management which lords over NW WorldPerks now too. To buck the will of DL management is an invitation to job loss. Go figure from there.

DL has had it on its table for a while now to "harmonize" the DL and NW programs and to do so in order to eliminate arbitrage opportunities that would help DL-NW customers to truly get the best of both programs. In other words, DL management has for some time now been intent upon giving DL-NW customers the worse aspects of both programs so as to convert more of that "consumer surplus" into extraordinary profits for a DL management not merely satisfied with the great financial gains from the DL SkyMiles program, a business operation which has been financing DL during DL's darkest financial days as an airline.

For the NW customers, this is just the DL handshake. Wait until DL bear hug happens.

Welcome to Delta Airlines, where customers are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
What about award ticks for others?

If I book an award using my miles (platinum) for my daughter (Silver) - do I have to pay the award booking fees?? Does it make a difference whether I am on the PNR or not?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr
If I book an award using my miles (platinum) for my daughter (Silver) - do I have to pay the award booking fees?? Does it make a difference whether I am on the PNR or not?
The "close-in" "expedite" award fee is not applicable to Platinums (for now) -- regardless of whom is flying -- as long as the award ticket is redeemed from a Platinum account.

About the second question, no difference whether you are on the PNR or not.

DL charges a bunch of award ticket bookig fees, many of which Platinums are not exempted from.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Your Platinum Elite WorldPerks # 9999999999

Also effective January 15, 2009, Northwest will introduce a new award ticket redemption fee and will increase our award reissue and redeposit fees from $50 to $100.

Award Ticket Redemption Timeframes
(WorldPerks Platinum Elites are exempt from this fee) Award Ticket Fees
3 days or less prior to departure date $150 per ticket
4 - 7 days prior to departure date $100 per ticket
8 - 20 days prior to departure date $75 per ticket
21 days or more prior to departure date No Charge

Are elites exempt from both of these fees? Surely DL doesn't charge a PM to change or redeposit an award ticket? ! ? !
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
Originally Posted by jtrout
SCOOP THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS DELTA IS DESTROYING OUR FF PROGRAM. I PROTEST

PROTEST WITH YOUR MONEY.

I pushed allot of my business away from NW last year when DL was diluting elite pools by giving all the double offers to their flyers. I flew just enough to keep silver and only to get exit rows.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: DL GE
Since DL views a FF program as a direct profit center does this mean that they will put out maybe one or two award seats for each flight and then on the 20th day, open a few more, the 7th a few more, etc...?

Hilton redemption = no cost to me.
National redemption = taxes - usually a dollar.
DL = .... it, just buy the ticket and use the miles for CRC memberships and hats...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Bend over, the "best-in-class" FF program has arrived. Fees, fees, fees.

Best in class? Alignment? All this double speak means is that NW is adopting everything we disliked about DL. THERE HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE CHANGES IN OUR FF PROGRAM WHATSOEVER AS A RESULT OF THIS MERGER, just double speak from both Bob & Jeff.

Every place I've ever needed to go in < 21 days I can reach on WN after 3/8.

Up yours, DL/NW.
I'm with you.

I've burned all but about 13K of my miles now. Going to CUN with the family in the spring and booked a ticket I may or may not use to AMS in the summer. While I'll play along for a while (as WN is not an option for me in the MSN area), I will not sit on a bank of miles that's going to be harder and more expensive to use.

From all this crap to the latest thing I read where they reneged on their decision to use nwa.com as the website, DL is doing everything they can to take the worst of both worlds and give a big middle finger to the NW flyers.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Question for all of you out there... do you think that NWA will also start charging those horrendous fees for award travel that begins outside the US? And if so, might this happen as early as Jan 15th?
Why would they wait until January 15 to screw us? That's already been done:
Merry Christmas, sucker.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm with you.

I've burned all but about 13K of my miles now. Going to CUN with the family in the spring and booked a ticket I may or may not use to AMS in the summer. While I'll play along for a while (as WN is not an option for me in the MSN area), I will not sit on a bank of miles that's going to be harder and more expensive to use.

From all this crap to the latest thing I read where they reneged on their decision to use nwa.com as the website, DL is doing everything they can to take the worst of both worlds and give a big middle finger to the NW flyers.
As a long time DL Platinum (who doesn't drink the DL kool-aid), I must say that you summarized it well.

Welcome to Delta.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Why would they wait until January 15 to screw us? That's already been done:
Merry Christmas, sucker.
Exactly -- DL management played the part of the Grinch that Stole Christmas at NW too.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Since DL views a FF program as a direct profit center does this mean that they will put out maybe one or two award seats for each flight and then on the 20th day, open a few more, the 7th a few more, etc...?

Hilton redemption = no cost to me.
National redemption = taxes - usually a dollar.
DL = .... it, just buy the ticket and use the miles for CRC memberships and hats...
All the airlines now open up award seats on an ongoing basis. Some very sophisticated IT process. I check quite often for additional availability, especially when I initially book a less desirable route for my award ticket. Then I can rebook as a PE for no charge to a better routing when/if one becomes available.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by rtarbuck
I think we should hold a protest at the MSP WorldClub!!!!!!!!!!!
Protest is a bit much. However, I highly recommend TTU as well as sending an actual written letter to Anderson. If you work for a company that has a preferred carrier agreement with NW I would try to get your travel manager to voice displeasure to their contracts.

At the very least exemptions should be added for all elite levels.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Stripe
Didn't get my email yet. Apparently email travels faster to Hawaii.

None of this seems to be a surprise, except for perhaps the increased redemption fees. Of most interest to me is what isn't covered, mainly the current NW elite benefits that DL elites don't have. Specifically:
  • Confirmed companion upgrades for platinums.
  • Upgrades on award tickets.
  • 125% mileage bonus for platinums.
  • Elite ExtraPerks

Should we interpret "no news" about those benefits as "good news" and assume there will be no change for the 2009 program year?
Yes, and I wonder about the wonderful new exciting service NW introduced this past year - limited upgrades to World Business Class on TATL flgihts?

Why can't DL learn SOMETHING from NW on how to increase customer loyalty rather than destroy it?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Plats are only exempt through next year.
Where did you see this? (Other than the fact that anything and everything may change for 2010, of course, as nothing has been announced yet.)
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Why can't DL learn SOMETHING from NW on how to increase customer loyalty rather than destroy it?
Because DL has so far felt like it can get away with doing what it does, DL continues to lead NW into doing the same.

NW had some of that "Minnesota Nice" in it, but -- unlike the NW "of old" -- DL views the customers either as enemies or sheep to fleece.

DL is counting on DL-NW customers having something of that self-defeating battered spouse complex where battered spouses fail to escape the bad situation and instead stand by the perpetrator that repeatedly abuses them.

Until customers complain to DL-NW and are willing to escape the situation and pursue the matter legally, DL management perpetrates the same thing it has perpetrated before and done so largely with impunity.

This time NW customers are getting abused too by DL management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.