Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GTITAN
GUWonder, you are fired up today eh? Think someone needs to stroll down Palermo on an sunny day in a certain gem of a city in deep S.A.
I am certainly not fired up -- rather it is more akin to the cold smile of "I told you so" or schadenfreude.

I have seven tickets between the US-Argentina for the first half of the year already booked.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Ironically these changes cost DL/NW nearly $1,000 today. I just booked a perksaver domestic for a friend which cost DL/NW 500 bucks they would have received. I figure the miles aren't worth anything now, so I gave him an early wedding present. Then this morning, I was planning on refunding an award ticket to Hawaii and buying a revenue ticket as I need the EQMs. Again, I decided not to spend the 500 bucks and will instead settle for silver or even less next year. The golden goose is dead for me, there really is no point to make any decisions about any of the domestic programs based soley on mileage.
I have been substituting what would be paid business DL-NW (+SkyTeam) travel with award travel too. Unlike the 75k+ elite qualifying miles that I usually send over to DL within the first 8-10 weeks of the year, all that travel has instead been award travel this year.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Got this email last night, glad to see someone started a thread. Glad to see Sat-stay restrictions gone, and Plat redemption/redeposit fees waived. Sad to see close-in-redemption fees so high. Cosidering how so many saver awards are only available close-in, it's going to come down to "high-mileage and lower-fees 4 days out", or "low-mileage and high-fees 3 days out". Six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-another. Either way, those that have to redeem at the airline's convienence, and not the pax convienence, are gonna pay... especially if they're not uber-Elite. The Plat Elite card isn;t an Elite card any longer... it's a frequent-shopper card, to get fees waived.

Gonna stink, if I drop out of Plat, in '10.

Steve B.
If you are going to drop out of Plat 14 months from now, just make sure to burn those miles before that happens.

My suggestion would be to burn them as soon as possible this week since next week might come with some ugliness too as the nwa.com award booking engine increasingly goes the way of delta.com's infamous online booking functionality to get to the targeted January 15th date that DL management has set.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
* Also effective January 15, 2009, Northwest will introduce a new award ticket redemption fee and will increase our award reissue and redeposit fees from $50 to $100.

Award Ticket Redemption Timeframes
(WorldPerks Platinum Elites are exempt from this fee) Award Ticket Fees
3 days or less prior to departure date $150 per ticket
4 - 7 days prior to departure date $100 per ticket
8 - 20 days prior to departure date $75 per ticket
21 days or more prior to departure date No Charge
Even though I am a Platinum for the time being, I HATE you Delta!

Thanks for screwing up my favorite airline royally!
(but I have nowhere else to go)

I can put up with a lot of things, but award trips should have the feel of being rewards for my loyality, and these kinds of fees make me feel otherwise. However, I am stuck with you as I've signed a long-term contract already. Still trying to figure out how to travel to Asia and Europe without flying, and haven't come up with a good alternative yet.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Starwood credit card and the ThankYou network point credit cards.

The points earned through them are both far more valuable to me than points in a DL management's "best [of the worst] of both programs" DL-NW "loyalty" program.
We use the Amex Blue card for *many* of our purchases because once you pass the $6,500 per year mark, it yields 5 percent rebates for items bought at grocery stores and gas stations.

How many times do any of us get 5 cents per mile ?

Bob H
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Bend over, the "best-in-class" FF program has arrived. Fees, fees, fees.

Best in class? Alignment? All this double speak means is that NW is adopting everything we disliked about DL. THERE HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE CHANGES IN OUR FF PROGRAM WHATSOEVER AS A RESULT OF THIS MERGER, just double speak from both Bob & Jeff.

Every place I've ever needed to go in < 21 days I can reach on WN after 3/8.

Up yours, DL/NW.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
If you are going to drop out of Plat 14 months from now, just make sure to burn those miles before that happens.

My suggestion would be to burn them as soon as possible this week since next week might come with some ugliness too as the nwa.com award booking engine increasingly goes the way of delta.com's infamous online booking functionality to get to the targeted January 15th date that DL management has set.
I was planning on booking 2 big trips before 1/15, and fly them before the merging of the programs. Then I can start with DL with a clean-slate. The trick is to define the requirements, and find the availability.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Airtran Elite, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle, SPG PLAT; Hilton Gold
outrageous

SCOOP THIS IS OUTRAGEUS DELTA IS DESTROYING OUR FF PROGRAM. I PROTEST (like the medallion members did when they implemented coach choice AND took it away for them And not us) Now Delta has gone too far

these restrictions are not enhancements and I really protest. WP members have never been charged and additional fee to redeem miles (with exception of taxes and fuel charges for a short time) MOST OF THE FF SEATS I WANT TO REDEEM are found inside that 21 day window - - and who is to say that you will not release them after that window so that you can collect even more money from us

FF miles that we have already are EARNED under the original terms of the program. You all should NOT charge elites at all for this service! You are showing us that you really don't care about us elite pax anymore.

pretty soon they will start charging 10 cents or something for every mile earned.

NOW may be the time I finally switch to another airline.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:27 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
DL's greedy mileage travel devaluation overkill is -- sooner or later -- going to invite a competitor -- inside the airline industry or outside of it -- to go on a big advertising blitz to pick up DL-NW "loyalty" program customers and getting those customers to abandon the DL-NW ship for better waters.
Southwest is already doing a good job of just that. And they start service to MSP in two months. My guess is they will quickly add other cities than MDW to their schedule from MSP.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat

Question for all of you out there... do you think that NWA will also start charging those horrendous fees for award travel that begins outside the US? And if so, might this happen as early as Jan 15th?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I'll definitely be flying a lot more CO, AA, AS, and WN this year. Will certainly drop to Silver on NW/DL if not drop status altogether. This should be reported to the local authorities for domestic violence, it's like your spouse beating you every night and then apologizing and promising not to do it again. I need a domestic violence shelter.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:33 am

Golds and Silvers are not exempted from the fees. These fees are what DL management thinks of general members, Silvers and Golds.
Keep in mind that with the way DL gives away MQMs that a NW GE would likely be a DL PM. Now the problem with this is the NW GEs have deal with this BS for however much time it'll take to qualify PM status.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: DL GE
I am sure this will get lost in the flame throwing, but I too am very upset with this.

There where countless times when I decided at the last minute to fly somewhere and spending $10 and 25,000 to book a ticket tomorrow, worked.

Is NWScoop or Bob going to come in and explain this bull ....??

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Protest

I think we should hold a protest at the MSP WorldClub!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about having some cards made indication my disatisfaction with this program change and leaving it with the WC people every time I check into a Club.

Hopefully they would pass it on up, but then who knows how far it would go.

Maybe start it with: To Bob S.

Bob
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
PerkSaver award tickets to Europe going from 50,000 miles to 60,000.

Can't wait to see the next round of "enhancements."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.