Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
More sleazy extortion from the US airline program master of sleaze -- DL management for you.

Notice the sequencing as well .... especially with regard to combining miles for an award.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stripe
Didn't get my email yet. Apparently email travels faster to Hawaii.

None of this seems to be a surprise, except for perhaps the increased redemption fees. Of most interest to me is what isn't covered, mainly the current NW elite benefits that DL elites don't have. Specifically:
  • Confirmed companion upgrades for platinums.
  • Upgrades on award tickets.
  • 125% mileage bonus for platinums.
  • Elite ExtraPerks

Should we interpret "no news" about those benefits as "good news" and assume there will be no change for the 2009 program year?
I am betting on bad news on at least 2-4 of those items listed above.

Upgrades on award tickets and companion upgrades on regular paid (S)LUT fares, going sooner or later.

Elite ExtraPerks, diluted.

125% bonus? I would not be shocked by a drop to 100%.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
The fee for award travel is absolutely ridiculous. That's it, I have to look elsewhere as there is no benefit to being SE on worldperks. I remember the old days when it used to cost only 60000 miles from US to India. It was raised to 90K and now with all this new crap fee, I might as well switch to Airlines from Europe or India.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
The nominal improvements (ability to transfer miles between DL and NW accounts, elite qualifying segments on DL, elimination of the Saturday-night stay restrictions on awards) are massively offset by the implementation of DL's dismal and opaque three-tier award structure (which has been discussed at length already) and the horrendous new fees for close-in award bookings.

$75 to $150 per ticket for booking an award within 21 days from the date of departure for Golds, Silvers, and general members? Absolutely dreadful.

It's especially unsettling since airlines tend to hold back a lot of award inventory until close to the departure date anyway (which is understandable). Imagine how expensive many awards are going to be when the close-in award booking fee is added to the already obnoxious surcharges DL has a penchant for levying.
Don't forget what's also coming around sooner or later: the non-refundable fees -- even non-refundable for Platinums -- that happen if you dare to book a SkyTeam partner like (still) CO.

With DL management of DL-NW, the DL-NW account holders could be paying upwards of $200 in cash to DL on top of the taxes/third-party fees in order to (try to) redeem a 25,000 mile domestic award (if DL-NW don't block them anyway).

25,000 miles + $200 in potential fees for a domestic US award ticket (perhaps even on a half-full flight) basically makes DL-managed DL-NW the master of sleaze when it comes to US airline "loyalty" programs.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'll voice my displeasure as a Plat

Obviously the new award ticket fees don't affect me (though I also agree they are ridiculous and unjustifiable). However, I think they may force more people to be Platinum and subsequently less Gold/Silver as many of those elites seem to be incredibly upset and looking elsewhere. Swelled plat elite pool is not good for existing plats.

Also, someone want to explain to me the diff between paying $150 for a last minute award ticket and $150 for a last miinute revenue ticket change?

-RM
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doglover
Will the fees be waived for Gold or Plat? For the first time in years I didn't make Plat... massive reductions in work related travel.
Golds and Silvers are not exempted from the fees. These fees are what DL management thinks of general members, Silvers and Golds.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'll voice my displeasure as a Plat

Obviously the new award ticket fees don't affect me (though I also agree they are ridiculous and unjustifiable). However, I think they may force more people to be Platinum and subsequently less Gold/Silver as many of those elites seem to be incredibly upset and looking elsewhere. Swelled plat elite pool is not good for existing plats.

Also, someone want to explain to me the diff between paying $150 for a last minute award ticket and $150 for a last miinute revenue ticket change?

-RM
As a Platinum who will continue to be exempted until 2010 -- whether as a DL or NW elite doesn't change things for me -- these kind of fees are all the more reason for me to actually ditch or downgrade use of DL-NW rather than continue to collect DL-NW miles.

The writing is on the wall and it is dry -- DL management is here to squeeze blood out of stone if it can and to do so it will sooner or later throw the stone to bleed you and me as Platinums too.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:22 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I'm watching George Lopez's HBO Special "America's Mexican"
In it, there is a term that George applies to certain people...FTP.
Whoever was in charge of instituting these changes, I'd like to apply that term to them.
Since saying it would violate FT's TOS, I'll leave it to your imagination.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bran28
Lets see 40,000 miles for a domestic flight. That makes it less then .01 per mile for most flights, that one will probably find availablity. Then they want to tack an "award" fee on to that. That is freaking unreal. I knew the "cost" of getting a "free" ticket was going up and I wasn't going to be happy. Now I can tell ya there goes my World Perks Visa. Any chance Delta had of getting me to spend money with their card went out the window as well.....What freakin greed.
DL management's target is to get the standard awards for domestic continental US travel to be 40,000 miles + whatever fees it can collect on top of that.

It's no wonder that some of us jumped off the DL-NW mileage collecting ship already. The writing has been on the wall for some time now. The ink has dried too. DL management and DL apologists however will continue to mislead and deny the reality of what DL management is doing to DL-NW "loyalty" account holders. Welcome to the world of DL and how it fleeces the customers.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:17 am
Suspended

I got the email 3 hours or so ago too.

to what is happening to WorldPerks customers as a result of DL management ruling the roost.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Burn, Baby, Burn!

I was planning on booking an award ticket to Europe for January/February and this e-mail seals the deal for me--I'm going, and I'm going in WBC one way. After that, I'll have about 50,000 miles left--enough of a reserve for a domestic ticket if I need it.

I'll be spending about a third of this year in DEN over the summer months when I am more apt and willing to travel and will be making it very clear to NW/DL via TTU that my loyalty will be to F9/WN/CO, even as a Gold Elite. During the rest of the year here in GFK, I'll be happy to drive to FAR/MSP or double-connect via LAS on Allegiant--something I'd never thought I'd consider.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone suggest a good replacement credit card for a now, decreased worth WorldPerks Visa card?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, guess Delta really doesn't want people circumventing last-minute rape-you airfares by using miles, so they introduce last-minute rape-you fees for award redemption.

I spent the past 15 minutes being mad about paying $150 for an award ticket, until the brain caught on that it's just for 3-days prior tickets. Kinda sucks, but thought it was kinda odd that they led the chart with the $150 instead of the "No Charge".

About the only time I ever redeem miles is for last-minute airfares, so guess I'll just have to reevaluate the value of Worldperks miles to $0.00 and cancel the Worldperks Visa card and skip out on the Delta Amex card.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Welcome to the DLFU elite program!

As many astute NW members have figured out long ago, this is just another step in the the DLFU program. The writing has been on the wall since the merger was announced.

While I'm a Plat, and it won't affect me yet, it does affect family accounts, and is yet another step in the downward spiral.

Gas prices are at 5 year lows. They've eliminated 10-15% of all routes, so eliminated many low yield routings.

The redeposit fees are silly. The close in fees, as well. If it were $25-$50 for general members, it might be understandable.

More "changes" will be announced, in dribs and drabs, and then stealth changes that you won't find out until you go to ticket an award.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
While I hate it, I think I'm stuck. I get most of my value out of the upgrades, so I'll stick with SkyPiles until they cut back on F seats.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by n301dp
On a somewhat related note, can anyone suggest a good replacement credit card for a now, decreased worth WorldPerks Visa card?
The Starwood credit card and the ThankYou network point credit cards.

The points earned through them are both far more valuable to me than points in a DL management's "best [of the worst] of both programs" DL-NW "loyalty" program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.