Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by themicah
The Q72 and Q33 both stop within a block of National before getting to the airport (the Q33 actually ends right at National and doesn't go into the airport at all). And the M60 and Q48 stop pretty close to National before entering the airport as well. But they all stop a lot more between the subway and the airport than the Q70, so the Q70 may still be fastest...

Have you considered picking up at the Brooklyn or one of the Manhattan National locations instead? You might save time and airport concession fees assuming it's not a prepaid rental and the locations are open when you need to pickup.
I find that LGA is almost always cheaper. Sometimes I get lucky with the Brooklyn location. My employer has a corporate contract with National, so I usually get a pretty good rate.

Funny enough, booking through Chase UR portal ended up being even cheaper than the corporate rate this time around.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Lyft new partnership offers 3x DL miles earned on trips to/from airports. They decide what constitutes an airport. Anyone know if they're flexible with pickup location from LGA central terminal? I'd like the miles but not at the time expense of a long trek out to the stupid parking lot where Lyft and Uber pick up now. And does that parking lot count for the DL miles promo anyway, even if I did trek out there?
Old May 20, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Beginning tonight at 10pm, for-hire vehicles (other than taxis) will pick up at the departures (upstairs) level between 10pm and 6am, rather than at the remote lot. From 6am to 10pm, for hire vehicles will continue to pick up at the remote lot.

http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Maybe I'll take the 7 train to Junction Blvd and take an Uber.
Did this and took the bus up Junction Blvd. It was rush hour so the bus took forever to get to LGA (25/30 min). I'd recommend this route, but just not during rush hour.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My recent experience.

Last Thursday I took the M60 to LGA for an 8am flight. Left my house at 6:15am and was at LGA in about 35/40 minutes.

On Sunday evening, I departed and there was some bunching with several lines. I think I missed an M60, but 5 min later a bus with 2 people arrived. This bus had 2 passengers when it arrived at the central terminal. I went around to the Delta terminal they exited and less than 10 people boarded.

This was the first time I've seen so few passengers on the M60.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:12 am

I have a 6AM flight tomorrow on Jetblue out of LGA. No bags, Precheck and taking Uber. I'm usually 15 min to LGA no traffic (in North Brooklyn). Any tips on when to leave?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
I have a 6AM flight tomorrow on Jetblue out of LGA. No bags, Precheck and taking Uber. I'm usually 15 min to LGA no traffic (in North Brooklyn). Any tips on when to leave?
At that hour, 4:45AM should be fine, 4:30 if you want to be really cautious. If you leave at 4:30, you'll probably be sitting at your gate by 5.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
At that hour, 4:45AM should be fine, 4:30 if you want to be really cautious. If you leave at 4:30, you'll probably be sitting at your gate by 5.
I concur. I'd leave at 4:30, and I'd end up at the gate way too early.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

6am tomorrow? At that hour, construction traffic at LGA will be nil so leave as you would if there were no construction.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Thanks all. Left at 4:35. At the airport at 4:50 - no traffic. Of course precheck wasn't open, so took 15/20 minutes to get through security.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:00 am

Ive heard about the travel woes at LGA.

Are things just as bad when landing at LGA and trying to get out of the airport?

Im considering taking an AA flight into LGA landing at 740 pm on a Sunday evening.
It is just 2 adults with luggage and would be looking to catch an uber/taxi to JFK for an international (First class if that matters) flight departing at 11 pm.
We are limited to this flight due to the departure time and would not be able to take a flight direct to JFK.

Is this do-able? Are we better off with an uber, taxi or other and how long should we expect things to take to get out of the airport?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zux85
Ive heard about the travel woes at LGA.

Are things just as bad when landing at LGA and trying to get out of the airport?

Im considering taking an AA flight into LGA landing at 740 pm on a Sunday evening.
It is just 2 adults with luggage and would be looking to catch an uber/taxi to JFK for an international (First class if that matters) flight departing at 11 pm.
We are limited to this flight due to the departure time and would not be able to take a flight direct to JFK.

Is this do-able? Are we better off with an uber, taxi or other and how long should we expect things to take to get out of the airport?
So a LGA-JFK transfer with luggage and kids is always a hassle, but it's totally doable, even with the construction situation, especially given how much time you have. If you land on time and things go relatively smoothly, I'd expect you to be at JFK by 9:00, even with the wait for checked bags and dealing with taxi lines and the like. This gives you a nice buffer to deal with flight delays and transportation issues.

Taxi is your best bet if you're arriving into the Central Terminal (Terminal B), which serves UA, B6, and some AA flights, among others, since Uber is not permitted to serve Terminal B directly; if you want to use Uber from Terminal B, you have to take a shuttle bus to a remote parking area. If you are flying DL into Terminal A, C or D, or one of the AA flights that uses Terminal C, using Uber is an easier option. All of that said, while I'm a big fan of the app-based car services, taking taxis can be easier because you just get in line until it's your turn, whereas as you may know locating your uber car can be a bit frustrating at an unfamiliar and crowded airport.

Here is my recommendation: If you are flying into Terminal B, after retrieving your luggage, go have a look at the taxi line. If it looks unbearably long, go back into the terminal, take the escalator upstairs to the departures level, and exit the terminal there. Once outside, look for taxis dropping off departing passengers, and hail one there. It is technically illegal for the taxi drivers to pick you up upstairs, as opposed to having to wait in line and pick you up from the taxi queue downstairs, but most will be happy to do it. (And note that the risk is theirs and not yours.)

If you are arriving into one of the other terminals, I would get into the taxi queue after retrieving your luggage. If the line is long, you can then log into uber and see how long it would take for them to get you. Stay in the taxi line, though, until you have an uber withing striking distance.

All this said, as I noted you should have plenty of time, and I see no reason to be unduly stressed about the situation.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
So a LGA-JFK transfer with luggage and kids is always a hassle, but it's totally doable, even with the construction situation, especially given how much time you have. If you land on time and things go relatively smoothly, I'd expect you to be at JFK by 9:00, even with the wait for checked bags and dealing with taxi lines and the like. This gives you a nice buffer to deal with flight delays and transportation issues.

Taxi is your best bet if you're arriving into the Central Terminal (Terminal B), which serves UA, B6, and some AA flights, among others, since Uber is not permitted to serve Terminal B directly; if you want to use Uber from Terminal B, you have to take a shuttle bus to a remote parking area. If you are flying DL into Terminal A, C or D, or one of the AA flights that uses Terminal C, using Uber is an easier option. All of that said, while I'm a big fan of the app-based car services, taking taxis can be easier because you just get in line until it's your turn, whereas as you may know locating your uber car can be a bit frustrating at an unfamiliar and crowded airport.

Here is my recommendation: If you are flying into Terminal B, after retrieving your luggage, go have a look at the taxi line. If it looks unbearably long, go back into the terminal, take the escalator upstairs to the departures level, and exit the terminal there. Once outside, look for taxis dropping off departing passengers, and hail one there. It is technically illegal for the taxi drivers to pick you up upstairs, as opposed to having to wait in line and pick you up from the taxi queue downstairs, but most will be happy to do it. (And note that the risk is theirs and not yours.)

If you are arriving into one of the other terminals, I would get into the taxi queue after retrieving your luggage. If the line is long, you can then log into uber and see how long it would take for them to get you. Stay in the taxi line, though, until you have an uber withing striking distance.

All this said, as I noted you should have plenty of time, and I see no reason to be unduly stressed about the situation.
Wow. Thank you! This is very helpful.
We would be arriving in B- central terminal.
Another question... I just realized that I'll be flying international first class on an an airline that will give give us a free chauffeur to JFK. If i have them picking us up... Where in terminal B would they pick us up? Id like to think they are able to pick me up from the terminal?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zux85
Wow. Thank you! This is very helpful.
We would be arriving in B- central terminal.
Another question... I just realized that I'll be flying international first class on an an airline that will give give us a free chauffeur to JFK. If i have them picking us up... Where in terminal B would they pick us up? Id like to think they are able to pick me up from the terminal?
Unfortunately the limo cannot pick you up at Terminal B. You need to take a shuttle bus to the remote pickup area. Follow this link for the details.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Unfortunately the limo cannot pick you up at Terminal B. You need to take a shuttle bus to the remote pickup area. Follow this link for the details.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.