Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by dstan
I certainly believe there is a difference between market pricing and price gouging and the latter is, in fact, illegal:

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/general-...ect-396-r.html

By analogy, do you think it's ok for stores to jack up prices on bread and batteries before a storm? NY says it is not.
1. Comparing "bread and batteries" with a luxury product like black car service from an airport, which has MANY substitutes, ranging from Lyft to Dial 7 to taxis to the Airtrain to the bus, etc. etc., isn't apples to oranges, it's "apples to equestrian marble statues."
2. That's a dumb law, and shouldn't be on the books in the first place.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Putting aside the fact that it's a tad early to predict what the situation at LGA will be like in December, there's no question that there are times when waiting in line for a taxi at LGA is the least good option. And that's not limited to evenings in December. But most people are, I think, smart enough to figure out that taking a 10-minute shuttle ride over to the area car-for-hire staging area may make more sense when standing in a 60-deep line for taxis that are not coming. I could be wrong.
I had my first experience with the off-site car service lot on Friday evening and I think waiting for a taxi would have been greatly preferable to the car service shuttle.

On the good side, they seem to be throwing resources at this to try to make it work. There were plenty of buses--at least 2-3 buses at the curb at any given time, and they were departing as fast as they filled up. And there is a lot of staff, with folks inside and outside the terminal directing passengers to the shuttles, and lots of staff in the car service pickup lot itself trying to manage the hordes of angry passengers and drivers. Traffic now flows smoothly at the arrivals level at the terminal, since the only vehicles are buses and private cars. Apparently ALL e-hail and pre-arranged pickups by car services are now being forced to go to the off-site lot. One worker told me he's encountered some very angry celebrities who didn't want to take a bus to their limo.

On the bad side, the whole thing is an enormous pain in the butt and the car service lot isn't big enough to handle the volume of passenger and vehicular traffic it's getting. My family of five (including three tired little kids) and all our luggage had to haul from the terminal to the bus, load onto the bus, load off of the bus, and then haul from the bus to the area of the lot where we could actually wait for pickup (since you're not allowed to wait where the buses drop off). As I wasn't sure how long the trip to the lot would take, I didn't hit "request" in the Lyft app until we got to the pickup area, and it took forever for the driver to get to us from the staging lot near Rikers where he said he was forced to wait. According to the driver the vast majority of that time was due to congestion from all the drivers trying to squeeze into the relatively small area they've allotted for pickups (2/3 of which was occupied by drivers who were parked there waiting for their passengers to show up). This was our driver's first time picking up at the new off-site lot, and he said he would try to avoid doing LGA pickups for the foreseeable future. It took roughly 40 minutes from the time we left the terminal to when we actually got into our car.

This thing makes sense on paper and should be a boon to those who get picked up by family or who take public transit. And it's a relatively minor inconvenience if you're able-bodied, you time your car request well, and you don't have a lot of luggage.

But for a family like mine, or for elderly people who can't lift their luggage onto the bus's luggage racks, it makes LGA look a lot less attractive. And I have no clue how they deal with people with serious physical disabilities.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:02 pm

I bet Delta thinks this development is just about the best thing ever.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Arriving with a stroller and lots of luggage we got the message on the Uber app and decided to take a taxi instead, assuming the shuttles weren't stroller friendly (I see above it was standing room only so no hope of not having to fold a stroller let alone even having step free access to wheel the stroller on to the bus itself!)

Taxi rank lady pulled us out of the line, having seen the baby, and let us wait at the front by the side. Eventually we got a modern enough taxi (second try!) into which we could install the LATCH capable car seat. Lucky we hadn't banked on using Uber Family!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This will likely shift some business back to the yellow cabs at Terminal B.
Exactly what we did, as described. No way I'd take an Uber or Lyft from LGA while this is going on.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Exactly what we did, as described. No way I'd take an Uber or Lyft from LGA while this is going on.
Remember, this only affects the non-Delta carriers that use terminal B. No change if you're on Delta.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
as I usually fly AC or AA to YYZ, I am thinking of walking (carry-on only) from Terminal B to Terminal C and pick up a car for hire from there.

Any thought?
Is the walk-away between terminals still accessible
during the 'redevelopment'?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by zip10001
as I usually fly AC or AA to YYZ, I am thinking of walking (carry-on only) from Terminal B to Terminal C and pick up a car for hire from there.

Any thought?
Is the walk-away between terminals still accessible
during the 'redevelopment'?
My recollection from upthread is that it's closed, but others may have more current information.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:36 am

But Uber/Lyft continue to grow, taking business away from taxis. I haven't waited in a long taxi line in probably a year. Only a couple of data points, sure, and I suppose I'm lucky.
Wow, what a disaster this is.

Last night, the taxi line was hundreds of people long, stretching from the far end of Terminal B (beyond the D concourse) back beyond the closed taxi stand in the middle of the terminal (between B and C concourses). Not waiting for that! But this new car service lot is a debacle as well, totally unable to accommodate the number of cars and people trying to use it. The remote situation would actually work much better for yellow cabs since there's no need to match people to specific cars, but I'm sure the taxi lobby will make sure that never happens.

My solution is going to be to avoid arriving into LGA whenever possible for the foreseeable future. I don't like Newark, but it's hilarious that the reaction to people calling LGA a third world airport is to actually turn it into one.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
it's hilarious that the reaction to people calling LGA a third world airport is to actually turn it into one.
Soooooo true.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes. When is this trial over?!?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With "public works" projects, whatever the projected finishing date ADD 5 years.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How are MTA busses being accommodated? I assume they get "preferential" access to curb lanes.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nrr
With "public works" projects, whatever the projected finishing date ADD 5 years.
The current set up for cars-for-hire is a month-long trial. Not sure when that's supposed to end.

It is, of course, easy to be jaded about public works projects, but we all love to complain about the state of LaGuardia and complain about the construction, even though we're all anxious and excited to have a new airport. Think about what a logistical nightmare it is to build a brand new airport on top of an existing airport that has to keep operating the entire time. Try that at home.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
The current set up for cars-for-hire is a month-long trial. Not sure when that's supposed to end.

It is, of course, easy to be jaded about public works projects, but we all love to complain about the state of LaGuardia and complain about the construction, even though we're all anxious and excited to have a new airport. Think about what a logistical nightmare it is to build a brand new airport on top of an existing airport that has to keep operating the entire time. Try that at home.
HOOVER DAM (not an airport) was a gov't project, but was built by private companies, was completed 2 years ahead of schedule AND under-budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.