Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LGA

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 10:07 pm

Was there tonight and it was pretty bare.

ES: chevy impala
Nissan Altima SL SV and S
Nissan Murano
Other various suvs

Of note in the upgrade section
2018 BMW 430i
2017 BMW 740i (what I took)

Was thinking of taking the 430 but at $50 a day for the 740 I took that since they wanted $35 for the 430. Used a free day so it only ended up costing around $80 when I added LDW
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Picked up around 5pm yesterday. What I remember from ES includes:

Infinity QX30 (I took)
Infinity QX70
Infinity QX80
Chevrolet Impala LT
Dodge Durango x2
Dodge Charger with Hemi (22k)
Chevrolet Traverse
BMW X3
Ford Flex
Larger Nissan SUV
Ford Expedition Limited
A few Minivans

Upgrade included:
Audi A4 (could have been A6)
Infinity QX80 (multiple)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Picked up around 5pm yesterday. What I remember from ES includes:

Infinity QX30 (I took)
Infinity QX70
Infinity QX80
Chevrolet Impala LT
Dodge Durango x2
Dodge Charger with Hemi (22k)
Chevrolet Traverse
BMW X3
Ford Flex
Larger Nissan SUV
Ford Expedition Limited
A few Minivans

Upgrade included:
Audi A4 (could have been A6)
Infinity QX80 (multiple)

They QX70 and 80 were in the aisle with no place card? They do put upgrades in the exec aisle. That would be cool though if they were aisle choices.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Closingracer
They QX70 and 80 were in the aisle with no place card? They do put upgrades in the exec aisle. That would be cool though if they were aisle choices.
Yes. Missed the QX70 by 10-seconds.

Assuming the QX80 went on the aisle as there were already 3 or 4 in upgrade. The QX80 was at the far (non exit) side.

The cars right in front of the booth that are usually placarded were not...these vehicles were the Flex and the QX30 that I took. The placarded vehicles were only in front of the reserved booth.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Yes. Missed the QX70 by 10-seconds.

Assuming the QX80 went on the aisle as there were already 3 or 4 in upgrade. The QX80 was at the far (non exit) side.

The cars right in front of the booth that are usually placarded were not...these vehicles were the Flex and the QX30 that I took. The placarded vehicles were only in front of the reserved booth.
That's good to hear. I rent out of here a lot and usually never see a luxury car in the aisle. I would ignore the QX30 just because if size IMHO. It's a bit small for my taste. The 80 is nice as well but to big for me as well. Good to see some better options than usual though.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:41 pm

Really interesting ES there yesterday. I had to exchange cars and while there was cars in the aisle the manager said they were all reserved. All that was left was Mini vans and pickup trucks. He said I could come back Thursday and exchange cars when they had returns but I didn't want to go back so I first asked about the X5 there but noticed it was a 16 model and noticed an 18 430i. Both was $13 a day upgrade that he offered and took the 430i.

What was in the aisle though was:
AUDI A3
Infinti QX60
Jeep grand Cherokee
Ford expedition
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:19 am

Odd thing on the National site for me trying to reserve in LGA... I am executive at National, but renting in NYC for a personal trip the first time this weekend. The national site is showing a lower rate on normally higher classed premium, SUV's, vans, etc than the typical full size I book to get isle choice. However the site only says 'Aisle Choice' if I book the more expensive full size. THere is about $90 difference for the week. Any idea why? Can I book the SUV or Van (family trip up through New England after a couple of days in NYC) and still choose from the isle?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mud_tavern
Odd thing on the National site for me trying to reserve in LGA... I am executive at National, but renting in NYC for a personal trip the first time this weekend. The national site is showing a lower rate on normally higher classed premium, SUV's, vans, etc than the typical full size I book to get isle choice. However the site only says 'Aisle Choice' if I book the more expensive full size. THere is about $90 difference for the week. Any idea why? Can I book the SUV or Van (family trip up through New England after a couple of days in NYC) and still choose from the isle?
NYC gas prices is probably higher than average which could be why they have lower prices for suvs. As far as doing that Idk but no?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mud_tavern
Can I book the SUV or Van (family trip up through New England after a couple of days in NYC) and still choose from the isle?
They won't care if you pick from the Aisle on a SUV or Van reservation. I've done it plenty of times when I reserve a SUV with a free day coupon to ensure I get something nice if the aisle sucks.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:03 am

NYC gas prices is probably higher than average which could be why they have lower prices for suvs. As far as doing that Idk but no?
Well speaking for Manhattan you'd have to find a gas station first! *LOL* And they are fast becoming scarce....

In general yes, gas is more expensive in NYC or NYS for that matter as opposed to say NJ. Though the recent tax increase across the Hudson has taken some of that edge off.

Equally yes, high gas prices and the amount needed for some SUVs does tend to put many off renting from NYC National or other car rental places.

It is almost a certainty with National that you will be offered a SUV or minivan if you rent often in NYC. In some instances you'll be told "that is all we have" and or that will be all there is at any of the local airport lots.

Sometimes really don't mind; have been given the Santa Fe on an intermediate car reservation and was quite happy.

Thing about SUVs is IIRC some credit card insurance coverage have limits.

Major issue for renters who are in Manhattan and perhaps elsewhere in the city at least is parking. In my street it is often tight and there are times when you want something like a compact or mid-size that you can slip or squeeze into a spot.

With "cute utes" like Jeep Compass, Santa Fe, Kia Soul, etc... many don't mind taking those car like SUVs. However when it comes to the more robust full sized vehicles some do not want. Usually because they don't know or think they can handle such a large vehicle, and don't want to "learn" on a rental.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by xienon
They won't care if you pick from the Aisle on a SUV or Van reservation. I've done it plenty of times when I reserve a SUV with a free day coupon to ensure I get something nice if the aisle sucks.

Has been my experience LGA doesn't care what you choose long as it isn't premium or whatever.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Major issue for renters who are in Manhattan and perhaps elsewhere in the city at least is parking. In my street it is often tight and there are times when you want something like a compact or mid-size that you can slip or squeeze into a spot.
If your destination is Manhattan and you're renting a car from the airport, you're doing it wrong.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Chmeeee
If your destination is Manhattan and you're renting a car from the airport, you're doing it wrong.

No, not really.

Myself and others from Manhattan routinely go out to LGA for National rentals for a host of reasons.

First and foremost inventory normally is streets better out there than the few locations left in Manhattan.

Next LGA is 24/7 while the locations in city close by 7PM weekdays and earlier on weekends. There are times when one cannot swing getting over to any of the city locations by 630PM just to pick up a vehicle. Meanwhile can go out to LGA at 1AM or anytime it pleases.

While there aren't any National locations near me, there are several Enterprise. However on weekends their hours are :

Sat
8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Sun
3:00 pm - 9:00 pm

So if one wants a car for just Sunday either have to head down to National or can go to LGA Saturday night/early Sunday morning and pick up something.

Finally usually but not always rates at LGA are less than renting in Manhattan.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
No, not really.

Myself and others from Manhattan routinely go out to LGA for National rentals for a host of reasons.

First and foremost inventory normally is streets better out there than the few locations left in Manhattan.

Next LGA is 24/7 while the locations in city close by 7PM weekdays and earlier on weekends. There are times when one cannot swing getting over to any of the city locations by 630PM just to pick up a vehicle. Meanwhile can go out to LGA at 1AM or anytime it pleases.

While there aren't any National locations near me, there are several Enterprise. However on weekends their hours are :

Sat
8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Sun
3:00 pm - 9:00 pm

So if one wants a car for just Sunday either have to head down to National or can go to LGA Saturday night/early Sunday morning and pick up something.

Finally usually but not always rates at LGA are less than renting in Manhattan.

He means if you're going to Manhattan. I hate driving there... Tend to take the train to nyc Tbh.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:00 pm

He means if you're going to Manhattan. I hate driving there... Tend to take the train to nyc Tbh.
OIC, never mind then.

Driving in Manhattan doesn't bother me at all. Far more saner than many other areas including locally. Would take NYC drivers over some on the GSP or NJT for instance.

That being said don't drive around Manhattan that much; mainly into and out of it going from or getting home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.