Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by baroqen
Need some advice from the Emerald gurus here. I'm Emerald Executive looking to pick up a vehicle large enough for 4 adults, 2 LARGE suitcases, and 2 small suitcases. SUV or minivan would actually be great, but I honestly don't care what kind of vehicle I get, as long as it fits everyone comfortably.

If I just reserve a midsize and head to the LAS lot on December 29 or 30, what are the chances that I will be able to get a suitable vehicle?
On a weekend, in the middle of a holiday period? You might get lucky with a minivan, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'd suggest booking the midsize like you planned and see what there is, but also book a minivan or SUV (honestly I think you could get away with a Grand Cherokee, even). If you see what you need on the aisle, take it and cancel your other reservation.

-J.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
On a weekend, in the middle of a holiday period? You might get lucky with a minivan, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'd suggest booking the midsize like you planned and see what there is, but also book a minivan or SUV (honestly I think you could get away with a Grand Cherokee, even). If you see what you need on the aisle, take it and cancel your other reservation.

-J.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not a frequent renter, my "status" comes from a CC. I typically rent about one week a year, always around this time and it's never very pleasant. Last year I went through Avis and have never tried the Executive Aisle. I was also only recently aware that I could make a "backup" reservation without penalty due to reading these forums.

Thank you again for your advice.

Edit: So... when booking my reservation, it requires my credit card. Is this normal? I don't want to end up charged for two different cars when I only use one.

Last edited by baroqen; Sep 13, 2019 at 11:35 pm
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:56 am

Rented out of LAS last week. Had a reservation for a Convertible using Emerald Reserve. When I arrived no convertibles were available (again, it is 4 out of 5 times renting convertibles out of LAS that this happened to me). Thus, I had to wait until one was brought up - no big deal just a 10 min wait. However, at this stage you get what they drive up - in my case a silver 2019 Mustang with roughly 23k miles. The 2019 Mustang part I liked, the 23k miles a bit less. Thus, nothing like choosing your ride (in the old days that could have meant a Chrysler Sebring or 300 Convertible - uck :-) ).

Staff was friendly.

Aisle was mostly sedans, I think (though I did not pay great attention).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:12 pm

The LAS location has turned into a Nissan/Chevy dealership. Lots of Altimas and Chevys in every color imaginable.

Nothing fun or surprising in ES. I picked up a new Maxima, which was nice.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Like the choice ES gives you

-Cooper Convertible
-2x Frontier
-4 Tan Malibu's
-30-40 White Altima 2.5S

-Grand Cherokee (reserved)
-Pacifica (reserved)
-Tucson (reserved)

The only choice really given was whether you wanted NV, CA or UT plates on your Altima. Ended up finding a Fusion hidden in the Altima's. 15k PA plates.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Dropped off 12/29

Upgrade:
-Levante

ES:
zip

EA:
nada

Alamo
-Single Mustang Convertible

Return lane:
-Forester with broken back window
-F150 King Ranch
-Cherokee
(later two being driven straight to National without being cleaned/serviced)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:44 pm

Chance of convertible?

I'm going to LAS on Sunday 16 Feb (President's Day weekend). Any chance there will be any type of convertible on the aisle? I'm executive. I have a reservation with Hertz for a convertible since I'm presidents circle, and wasn't sure if it's even worth it to try and pick one off the aisle at national.

Thanks I'm advance!!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brendan Kelly
I'm going to LAS on Sunday 16 Feb (President's Day weekend). Any chance there will be any type of convertible on the aisle? I'm executive. I have a reservation with Hertz for a convertible since I'm presidents circle, and wasn't sure if it's even worth it to try and pick one off the aisle at national.

Thanks I'm advance!!
Can't say for certain if they will but might as well make a reservation at National as well and see if on the day of whether they have what you're looking for.

The downside of the Emerald Aisle/Ultimate Choice is you never truly know the type of vehicle you'll get, sometimes you could strike out
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:15 pm

is it worth going with national in vegas instead of something like budget? i normally go to costco to do my car rentals and budget always has the cheapest price so i normally go with them. should i go with national instead and pay a little more to accumulate free rentals instead?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:45 am

We have had no issues renting at multiple locations with one being LAS. Back in October we walked out and got a Ford Expedition with leather pano roof etc. for the couple days our cost was $107 total vs the almost $300 if we would have reserved that model (we are executive elite)

oit of Ontario airport same thing but this time it was a max expedition... leather again no pano roof though. Still both very nice vehicles for the price of a midsize rental.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Nothing special today. Executive Selection and were EA intermixed with:
  • Pick your color Altima, Optima, Malibu, Fusion
  • 1 RAM 1500
  • 1 Nissan Frontier
  • 1 Dodge minivan
  • 1 Dodge Journey
2 cars with expired temp tags and 1 Altima with a flat tire.

Asked to take a Mini Countryman from National standard section, or another vehicle Alamo side but I was turned down. Reservation was full size executive selection.

Asked about premier upgrade to an Audi but was told those vehicles are all reserved.

I took a 2020 Fusion Titanium AWD Ecoboost that gets about 20mpg.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Better mixture today.

ES
  • 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE (300 miles which I took)
  • 2020 Nissan Maxima 2000 miles
  • RAM 1500's
  • Ford F150 Titanium
  • Chevy Equinox
  • Jeep Compass
  • Ford Escape
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
  • 2019 Hyundai Sonata's
  • Mazda 6
  • Pick your color Malibu, Altima, Camry, Fusion.
EA
  • Pick your color Elantra, focus, Cruze.
  • 2020 Toyota Corolla
  • 2019 Toyota Corolla
  • Malibu's
  • Altima's
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:25 pm

Feb 22 and 25 good selection Executive

2/22 Saturday at about 930am there were a lot of nissans as people have mentioned. We were a family of 6 so we needed a minivan and there were several, mostly dodge. There were also Santa Fe's and Mitsubishi Outlanders.

2/25 9:30AM Tuesday had better selection they had some Yukon XL's, and several Ford Expeditions. I tried getting one of the Expeditions but the key wasn't in there so I was told to get another car...no problem as there were may there. As we were unloading, a newly washed 2020 Land Rover Discovery with 2000 miles parks right next to me! I took it of course!

2/25 8:00PM more of the same, but i saw a mini cooper that someone immediately took.

I wasnt expecting much based on reviews on here and was pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:43 am

will be travelling to LAS later this year. I usually reserve a convertible. This year I am Executive.

I was wondering whether there is any sense in making an aisle reservation and asking them for a convertible (from this thread it seem that there are usually no conv on Exec Selection). Of course I would also have a back-up reservation for a Conv . However, I would only do this if there is a somewhat remote chance of success. What do you think?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: Natl EE, DL, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jak456
will be travelling to LAS later this year. I usually reserve a convertible. This year I am Executive.

I was wondering whether there is any sense in making an aisle reservation and asking them for a convertible (from this thread it seem that there are usually no conv on Exec Selection). Of course I would also have a back-up reservation for a Conv . However, I would only do this if there is a somewhat remote chance of success. What do you think?
I took the chance and just made a midsize reservation. Arrived around 10am on a Monday (during President's day holiday). ES was well stock with multiple Infiniti sedans, challengers, Altimas and the like; however, no convertibles.

Ended up going up to the greeter and asked nicely for a convertible (I casually mentioned I was in town celebrating my birthday). He ended up sending me to the convertible aisle (at Alamo I think, not sure), and ended up grabbing a V6 Camaro. Had a blast, quick enough and plenty of noise to scare pedestrians if you step on it.

You can keep the back-up if you like but they didn't seem to have a problem giving myself one on a holiday weekend.

Last edited by YVR_Flyer123; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:35 pm Reason: Words

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.