Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Sorry. Spite, opposition campaign, protest, I'm not sure what you want to call it. I'm not quite sure how one reconciles the leaving of the playground with one's ball because they don't like the rules with "we are both mature adults," but that's an entirely different topic.

The question was why did you forego so many chances to share these SWU's? With so many opportunities, it does seem a bit disingenuous to blame it on Randy's policies.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
I think the decision by Randy is VERY logical:

There is a forum DEDICATED to Coupons, it's called COUPON CONNECTION. Why clutter the individual forums with coupons when there is a forum DEDICATED to coupons????????????????????????
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:02 am

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Wow

With all due respect to Punki and those who have piled in after to discuss(?) the issue at hand, I think we are losing the plot on this thread. If we are looking for an opinion from Randy, let's just put it out there so it doesn't get lost in the soap opera like sub plots.

1. The AC forum would like to keep the gifting/trading of certs in the AC forum, and not have them moved to CC by a moderator. If people want to post them on CC (and ensure the unending hassle of 'stupid' questions, harassment and for-profit activity), they can go ahead and do it themselves.

2. Clear violations of the TOS aside (where the 'Report Bad Post' should be used), AC would like to remain an unmoderated forum. If this isn't in the cards, just give us a full time moderator. The opinion seems to be that moderation from a distance by committee is not working, and won't work.

Please note, my intent is not to refer to the activities taken to date by any moderator. It's simply to lay out the issues for discussion/response.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robb

I am curious as to why you never offered those SWU's ..... to your friend ozstamps who so badly needed SWU's very recently.

The question was why did you forego so many chances to share these SWU's?

robb .... the problem with folks posting patent assumption as FACT, without taking the common courtesy or trouble to make any checks whatever before they open their mouth, is that they can be completely wrong and look pretty silly - and downright petty and mean spirited as a result.

I suspect this is one of those times. Well you've done it twice in a few posts actually.

Punki did in fact generously offer me her Systemwide upgrades and I was very appreciative of the offer. As ScottC has correctly pointed out above, 4 other individual FT'ers had by that time also offered me the 4 x SWUs Lynn and I needed for 22,000 miles of travel each in late January, and I was very grateful to them ALL.

I did at the time appraise Randy of the matter, as it epitomised to me the incredibly generous spirit that certainly does exist among some members of FT. And thanked him for offering a resource like Flyertalk that enabled this to occur.

Those 4 members, like Punki , sought no public recognition whatever - they were just being friendly and generous, with incredibly valuable Certs (to us) that otherwise would have expired. It took them all, as it happens a ton of time to arrange the correct paperwork and transfers in person at ticket offices, as UA is hopeless in this respect. So it was not only a gift of SWU's, but a gift of their valuable time as well.

You would not find five folks prepared to do that on many Bulletin Boards anywhere in the world.

When I thanked those folks on FT, I was immediately pounced on privately by a moderator asking me to delete all reference to the kindness of these folks, and the gift of the SWU's. I was advised if I did not edit it out, or delete the post entirely, that moderator would consider doing so without my approval. That moderator not knowing of course, of my previous email to Randy. I was asked to edit or delete this specific post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...22&postcount=7

That recent instance sadly encapsulates (to me) what FT has become today in some ways.

Offering thanks to folks generously giving away very valuable things to others that they know and recognise on the boards, can and does attract the behind-the-scenes threat of those thanks being actively censored and removed, by at least one moderator - for whatever reason.

It is a sad day for FT when this situation can occur. IMHO of course.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by senor_jefe

1. The AC forum would like to keep the gifting/trading of certs in the AC forum, and not have them moved to CC by a moderator. If people want to post them on CC (and ensure the unending hassle of 'stupid' questions, harassment and for-profit activity), they can go ahead and do it themselves.
^
Can we have a moderator make a decision on this please?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Surely as an unmoderated forum we do not need the permission of someone to jsut go on doing this? It seems pretty clear that it is not causing a hassle to the forum and that many of us are strongly in favour of it. Its not like we are committing a serious abuse of the TOS?
Lets take advantage of the fact that we are not moderated and do what is sensible - trade your certs in the forum as we always have.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
The question was why did you forego so many chances to share these SWU's? With so many opportunities, it does seem a bit disingenuous to blame it on Randy's policies.
Disinegnuous, as in if I were to claim that I was successful in giving away ALL the SWUs I had? I was! Really. And I didn't have to give anyone to strangers or members of enemy cliques.

FewMiles..
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Actally, taupo, moderators do not have the authority to make that decision. They are simply following Randy's orders.

We fought this same battle in the AS forum as we too receive certificates that are of no value to anyone who does not hold elite status on AS. Randy decided to restrict all gifts, exchanges, trades, whatever, to Coupon Connection and, while many disagree with the policy, we have politely adhered to it out of respect for his decision.

I think that Randy, therefore, is the only one who can change this policy.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Surely as an unmoderated forum we do not need the permission of someone to jsut go on doing this? It seems pretty clear that it is not causing a hassle to the forum and that many of us are strongly in favour of it. Its not like we are committing a serious abuse of the TOS?
Lets take advantage of the fact that we are not moderated and do what is sensible - trade your certs in the forum as we always have.
Sounds good to me
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by senor_jefe

I confess I almost never look in on the AC forum, but did so just now, and am confused.

There is presently a very long thread on page 1 of that Forum titled:

Upgrade certificate giveaway

And only started in Jan 2005 by veteran FT'er and current Talk Board member kempis.

A great deal of generous upgrade cert giving going on there. With, it appears to me, much commendable Community Spirit and cameraderie, with posts like this for 2 x SWU's.

Am I missing something - was this same thread removed from AC to CC and recently re-instated? There does not appear to be any moderator edits or comments that I could see, anywhere inside it on a quick read over.

If not - I am a little confused where the fuss is? If any semblance of consistency is in place, nothing re upgrade giveaways should be moved, or all threads should be moved - surely?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Surely as an unmoderated forum we do not need the permission of someone to jsut go on doing this?
Originally Posted by ozstamps
If any semblance of consistency is in place, nothing re upgrade giveaways should be moved, or all threads should be moved - surely?
I don’t know who is Shirley, but she is surely one popular FlyerTalk member.

Surely surly Shirley should shirk serving certificates early?...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could not agree with you more!!! ^
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
FatBoyYVR ^ ^ ^

I don't post a lot though I have been flying since the early 90's. I came to know FlyerTalk because of the AC program and I do lurk a lot these days because I have plenty of time on my hand (on leave).

So far I have been amazed to see how generous the AP members are to each other ( including giving away these "hard to come-by" certs on some occasions) without asking ANYTHING in return!!!!!!!!

Hence if it ain't broken why change it?
I believe that the KISS ( sorry the last S does not mean stupid )adage is working well on the AC forum and let's hope that that someone who did not manage to get some tradings through e-mails or PMs did not take his revenge by "squealing" on the "give-aways" to get even with the do-gooders of the AC forum.

It would be sad if that was the case..........
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I confess I almost never look in on the AC forum, but did so just now, and am confused.

There is presently a very long thread on page 1 of that Forum titled:

Upgrade certificate giveaway

And only started in Jan 2005 by veteran FT'er and current Talk Board member kempis.

A great deal of generous upgrade cert giving going on there. With, it appears to me, much commendable Community Spirit and cameraderie, with posts like this for 2 x SWU's.

Am I missing something - was this same thread removed from AC to CC and recently re-instated? There does not appear to be any moderator edits or comments that I could see, anywhere inside it on a quick read over.

If not - I am a little confused where the fuss is? If any semblance of consistency is in place, nothing re upgrade giveaways should be moved, or all threads should be moved - surely?
Your feeling of confusion was the same as mine ozstamps.
I pointed this out earlier on in the thread and was told that as "the thread by Kempis" was not reported as a bad post that it escaped being moved or deleted(which I found odd, and led to the question of who on the AC forum would report it as a bad post?) Most of us would prefer to continue to gift AC certs on the AC forum as it underlines the spirit of our forum. I also think that the threads moved should be moved back!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Punki
Actally, taupo, moderators do not have the authority to make that decision. They are simply following Randy's orders.

We fought this same battle in the AS forum as we too receive certificates that are of no value to anyone who does not hold elite status on AS. Randy decided to restrict all gifts, exchanges, trades, whatever, to Coupon Connection and, while many disagree with the policy, we have politely adhered to it out of respect for his decision.

I think that Randy, therefore, is the only one who can change this policy.
Very well put.

And out of the very same politeness and respect for the stated wishes of our host (who surely has the final "vote") the moderators too try very hard to honor his wishes. It's been helpful to have forum members help by citing such threads which Randy asks be in Coupon Connection. I would hope that AC regulars would follow the folks' example from the AS forum out of respect for Randy.

But please note: I don't have a horse in this race. If Randy wants to make an exception for the AC forum or the Fresno Air Terminal forum or the Antarctica forum or whatever forum on whatever grounds he wishes, then the moderators will follow his wishes. Those who are frustrated with the rule need to take it up with Randy -- which, I take it, was why this thread was started and I assume that Randy is aware of it and will comment if and as he wishes. If he changes the rules, fine; if he doesn't change the rules, fine.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator &
Moderator, United and Coupon Connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.